The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know a bloke who got a mortgage to build a house, got halfway through, rates doubled and now he can’t afford to continue and he can’t even sell it because it’s basically a sell. Proper scary times. 

I mean, he's a bit of a dick. He could surely have got a fixed rate to last at least the build time? Madness if he could have but didn't. 

I can't understand why anyone would not have been on a lengthy fix the last few years. 

I fixed mine for 5 years and fortunately still got a way to go yet. Rates were ALWAYS going to go up at some point though I confess I didn't see them going this high this quickly. 

But credit was so so cheap it was always madness to pursue another fraction of a percent on a flexible rate rather than fix. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know a bloke who got a mortgage to build a house, got halfway through, rates doubled and now he can’t afford to continue and he can’t even sell it because it’s basically a sell. Proper scary times. 

I didn’t know you had Grand Designs in Poland.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I mean, he's a bit of a dick. He could surely have got a fixed rate to last at least the build time? Madness if he could have but didn't. 

I can't understand why anyone would not have been on a lengthy fix the last few years. 

I fixed mine for 5 years and fortunately still got a way to go yet. Rates were ALWAYS going to go up at some point though I confess I didn't see them going this high this quickly. 

But credit was so so cheap it was always madness to pursue another fraction of a percent on a flexible rate rather than fix. 

Not really a thing here. Everything is dependent on the WIBOR or central interest rate. 

But  I agree he was daft. He’s a teacher and teachers earn absolutely awful money here. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Not much difference than the UK.

Nah completely different. Teachers make about 500 quid net a month. Average salary is about 850. 

also there’s 4 grades of teacher. The final one, which you’d get after about 10 years of teaching, after (self paid) examples probably barely scrape minimum wage. 

it’s a disaster honestly. 

• Sad 2

On 19/09/2023 at 14:36, turvontour said:

How did we get so lazy as to not bothering to go to a local chip shop, McDonalds or supermarket. Perfectly fine as an elderly or disabled person but not anyone else. 

Convenience?

You could say the same thing about using cars compared to walking. Or using fast food at all rather than cooking it yourself

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Inflation not reduced, stays at 6.7%, guess that big plan is stalling, well done Sunak you genius.

He has no plan. Just pretending he does as he assumed market competition forces would eventually reign in inflation as the BOE interst rates bite .

But he's seriously underestimated business's willingness to take advantage before competition bites .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He has no plan. Just pretending he does as he assumed market competition forces would eventually reign in inflation as the BOE interst rates bite .

But he's seriously underestimated business's willingness to take advantage before competition bites .

It’ll be the usual weasle words when December comes.

Has inflation been halved? Yes it was high and now its lower, followed by being told it hasn’t halved at which point he’ll say it is half and this will ping pong back n fore a few times where he just denies reality.

Have you stopped the small boats? Yes, there are less than last year. Interviewer will say that isn’t stopped, he will repeat that he met the aim of having less than last year. Other Ministers will query if the BBC has a pro illegal immigration agenda.

Has the NHS waiting list been cut. Yes, other than those waiting lists caused by striking surgeons that earn £100,000 a year.

He’ll then distract with an announcement he’s going to build a whole new motorway to connect Portsmouth to Barnstaple. This will be corrected the next day where they’ll explain whilst they are doing this, it will look quite like a new lane around the M25 in the initial phases.

Then we’ll all forget all about it as another sex pest tory MP will do another sex thing and be given a right good telling off by the parliamentary conduct people.

• Like 4

It's so expensive to go for an evening or night out now. A pint is 5 to 6 quid everywhere. 

There's never been such a big detachment in cost between having people round to drink at home and going out. A pint at home is about £1 to £1.50 if bought in big quantity like 16 or 24 pack. 

Five of you for example are basically saying we'll spend £200 just to be out for a big night, to be able to frequent the bars, compared to having the same drinks at home. That difference would have been about £100 ten years ago.

Not sure how the pubs will survive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's so expensive to go for an evening or night out now. A pint is 5 to 6 quid everywhere. 

There's never been such a big detachment in cost between having people round to drink at home and going out. A pint at home is about £1 to £1.50 if bought in big quantity like 16 or 24 pack. 

Five of you for example are basically saying we'll spend £200 just to be out for a big night, to be able to frequent the bars, compared to having the same drinks at home. That difference would have been about £100 ten years ago.

People dont go out as much as they use to pre covid, well in my circle anyway. Whether its cost, laziness, weather or combination of all three

Alot of pubs near me have gone bust 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’ll be the usual weasle words when December comes.

Has inflation been halved? Yes it was high and now its lower, followed by being told it hasn’t halved....

Inflation probably will have halved by the end of the year (it needs to hit 5.3%) as the big rise in energy prices last October drop out of next months figures so there will almost certainly be a decent drop. F all to do with anything Sunak has done though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I doubt they will.

The longer this squeeze like vice continues then it's only going to get worse unfortunately.

I've seen two trendy pubs round near me close this month already. Both now have signs (estate agent like boards) displayed each one offering to lease the pub.

46 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Inflation probably will have halved by the end of the year (it needs to hit 5.3%) as the big rise in energy prices last October drop out of next months figures so there will almost certainly be a decent drop. F all to do with anything Sunak has done though. 

Agreed sunak hasnt done anything

But Im more interested into it falling than how it happens as long as it does to help people 

• Like 1

Popped to my local with the Mrs recently, Carling, although I don't drink it, is £4.85. For me 4 pints of Estrella £5.65 each, a bottle of house wine and 2 toasted sandwiches £53.10. Used be able to go to a posh restaurant for that. 

When you think about it, it's really expensive to live now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Popped to my local with the Mrs recently, Carling, although I don't drink it, is £4.85. For me 4 pints of Estrella £5.65 each, a bottle of house wine and 2 toasted sandwiches £53.10. Used be able to go to a posh restaurant for that. 

When you think about it, it's really expensive to live now.

I recall about a month or so ago now we went out for a meal, £60/£70 quid and the food wasn't even that decent which was annoying and kind of the final straw for dining out during this challenging time.

I would sooner hit M&S and get a massive steak/or decent meal for two, few beers and a bottle of wine and have a better night in for half the cost.

• Like 3

Â