Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I think, as you say with the theme of this season being "fanservice/sod it, we're just going to go full throttle OTT", I can forgive that bit as I was just having too much fun to care.  Especially when they quite literally Tokyo-Drifted into transporter range, I was howling.

Downside of all this is I now desperately want that Titanprise spin-off.

Yeah, it was certainly a lot of fun!

Spoiler

They have to do the spinoff. Seven as Captain of the Enterprise G would be just fantastic.

I don't normally frequent this thread.

And I didn't whether to post this in the AI Thread, or the Musicians Thread, or the Boring Thread, or Memory Lane, or... anyway. 

Back in the 1980s, I was in this band. And anyone who's ever been in a band will know, that the hardest thing is thinking of a name. After hours, days, weeks of head scratching, we'd rejected all suggestions. And then somebody said: "How about... 'Warp Factor Five'? 'Cos, like, there are five of us". Even though none of us could remotely be described as Trekkies, we were so tired of arguing, we ran with it. And Warp Factor Five we were. We soon regretted having to explain to people that we didn't do any songs about Romulans or Tribbles, but we were stuck with it. 

Flash forward to this week, when I got a message from our old keyboard player, who, just for a laugh, had asked ChatGPT to write a story about the band. 

This is what it came up with: 

In the year 2378, the intergalactic band Warp Factor 5 was preparing for their final performance aboard the USS Enterprise. Lead guitarist and lead vocalist Mike Mooney stood on the bridge of the ship, adjusting the plasma conduits on his guitar while bassist Grahame Barker fine-tuned the subspace harmonics on his bass guitar. Keyboardist Dave Edwards was busy adjusting the tachyon modulators on his instrument, while rhythm and lead guitarist Dick Neale was making last-minute adjustments to the quantum phase inverters on his guitar.

As the band members took their places, drummer John Wadsworth activated the chroniton flux generators on his drum kit, and the music began. The crew of the Enterprise listened in awe as Warp Factor 5 played their final concert, the energy from their instruments pulsing through the ship's dilithium crystals.

But as the concert reached its climax, something strange began to happen. The plasma conduits on Mike Mooney's guitar overloaded, causing a cascade reaction that spread throughout the ship's systems. The subspace harmonics on Grahame Barker's bass guitar destabilized, and the tachyon modulators on Dave Edwards' keyboard malfunctioned. Dick Neale's quantum phase inverters failed, and John Wadsworth's drum kit erupted in a shower of sparks.

The crew of the Enterprise worked frantically to contain the energy surge, but it was too late. With a final burst of cosmic energy, Warp Factor 5's instruments exploded, sending the band members hurtling through space and time.

As the dust settled and the crew of the Enterprise took stock of the damage, they knew that they had witnessed something truly extraordinary. The music of Warp Factor 5 may have come to an explosive end, but their legacy would live on for generations to come, inspiring countless musicians and artists to reach for the stars and embrace the infinite possibilities of the universe.

I have no words. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't normally frequent this thread.

And I didn't whether to post this in the AI Thread, or the Musicians Thread, or the Boring Thread, or Memory Lane, or... anyway. 

Back in the 1980s, I was in this band. And anyone who's ever been in a band will know, that the hardest thing is thinking of a name. After hours, days, weeks of head scratching, we'd rejected all suggestions. And then somebody said: "How about... 'Warp Factor Five'? 'Cos, like, there are five of us". Even though none of us could remotely be described as Trekkies, we were so tired of arguing, we ran with it. And Warp Factor Five we were. We soon regretted having to explain to people that we didn't do any songs about Romulans or Tribbles, but we were stuck with it. 

Flash forward to this week, when I got a message from our old keyboard player, who, just for a laugh, had asked ChatGPT to write a story about the band. 

This is what it came up with: 

I have no words. 

That is so similar to the level of rubbish it came up with when I asked about my band! (minus all the sci-fi stuff, because it fixated on us being a "folk" band)

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 18:01, Lichfield Dean said:

I remember reading some fan fiction once about the Doctor materialising on the Enterprise D.

It was awful.

I think I remember reading that when Star Trek: Enterprise ratings were in the toilet and they were on the verge of cancellation there were conversations between the show runners about a Dr Who crossover episode which never happened.

Just watched picard series 3 and if ever theres a series to plod through because the pay-off is worth it it's Picard. Drab wooden and pedestrian for ages then boom have some star trek in your veins.

More

More

More

• Like 1

There's going to be an animated series of Deep Space 9. All done and ready to be released. Minimal interference from studio bosses. Could be good. Could be bad. 

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

There's going to be an animated series of Deep Space 9. All done and ready to be released. Minimal interference from studio bosses. Could be good. Could be bad. 

facepalm.gif

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Erm... Are you sure you've checked the number of the space station in question?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love strange new worlds but S2 E9…

Spoiler

what the hell, who decided to create an episode around singing/musical…do they not know their nerdy audience of people like me.  I hate this episode, it’s nothing like what Star Trek is about…hugely disappointed in this episode!

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Reveal hidden contents

what the hell, who decided to create an episode around singing/musical…do they not know their nerdy audience of people like me.  I hate this episode, it’s nothing like what Star Trek is about…hugely disappointed in this episode!

I couldn't get past the dumb Uhura singing episode. It was so crap, a plot strung together by the most nonsense contrivancies. I think it was episode 2. I've been tempted to give it another shot, but gah that episode annoyed me.

When I saw what you mention in your spoiler there I had concerns! That's not Star Trek.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I haven't seen it, I understand they took Once More With Feeling as their reference episode, which worked wonderfully. If it was anywhere close to that good then I'd be happy to accept it.

Trek has always done goody episodes, right from TOS so I'm not against it in principle as long as it "fits" and isn't just a vanity episode or a "run out of ideas" episodes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Hide contents

Think the show is OK-ish and watchable but there has been 2 episodes this season where I've just fast forwarded through to the end. This one I just turned off as soon as the singing started.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Â