Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

As there is at least one topic for that other franchise, I thought it high time we had one for the greatest and most important sci-fi shown of them all.

Why do I like it so much? Doctor Who has been going longer, Star Wars has all the glam, The Expanse has the hard sci-fi, Babylon 5 has the complex political story arc... The list goes on. But only Trek does it all. And does it with heart and humour and tears and emotion.

I'm currently in season seven of my Voyager rewatch, and just like Enterprise I think it is much better than I realised at the time. Yes there are a lot of filler episodes, but when it hits it hits hard.

I have many more thoughts about many aspects of the show, but for now, let's spend a moment to appreciate the real hero of Star Trek: please take a bow Lieutenant Reginald Barclay.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

All the new stuff, from those shitty JJ Abrams films to the abominations of the new shows, doesn't count as Star Trek. 

Weirdly the words "Trek" and "Wars" are interchangeable here. 

• Like 3

Lately I have caught a few episodes of the original series on the Horror channel on Freeview. I remember seeing them 25 years ago on BBC2, I probably appreciate them more now. I do enjoy the dynamic logical Spock v moralistic Bones and Kirk in the middle.

I was watching one episode (“The Return of the Archons”) and I was taken aback at how similar the initial premise was to The Purge - turns out the writer of The Purge based the idea on that episode. Made me wonder what other influences it’s had that I’m unaware of.

I think I watched a bit of Next Generation, couldn’t tell you much.

As for the comparison to Star Wars. I’m not an expert on either and I don’t think it’s an original thought, but I feel Star Wars is much closer to The Lord of the Rings rather than Star Trek.

• Like 1

@Chindie those re:views are a great watch, I only found 'em a couple of months ago when I stumbled across their Exorcist III one and have been slowly making my way through them ever since. 👍

Wife and I did a full re-watch of TNG / DS9 / VOY last year.  Younger me definitely did not appreciate DS9 enough the first time around, once it starts gathering pace (and you get past a clunky first season) I'd have it as one of my top TV shows of all time, let alone best Treks.  TNG was the big family-gather-round-the-telly show when I was growing up, had toys and models of the various ships (Klingon Bird-Of-Prey is still the coolest damn spaceship ever conceived).  VOY is the ginger stepchild of the three, but isn't without it's moments.  I tapped out at Enterprise and have had no interest in anything that came later.  Well, save for Picard, but **** me the first season of that was a shitshow to the point of near-heresy.  That said, I'm still watching season 2, I'm far too committed at this point!

Oh, and Lower Decks is entertaining enough, I'll watch that and have a chuckle.

I just want giant freaking space armada battles.  Wine me, dine me, Wolf 359 me, baby.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

@Chindie those re:views are a great watch, I only found 'em a couple of months ago when I stumbled across their Exorcist III one and have been slowly making my way through them ever since. 👍

I linked you to that Exorcist 3 Re:View :)

The RLM guys are great, and these look back videos are fantastic. I've only watched a bit of TNG (my brother was the Trekkie) but I still really enjoyed them covering the episodes and mocking them a little but also genuinely interested in the smart things the episodes do and how well made (...or not...) they are.

• Thanks 1

Also it is exactly 2 years and 7 days since the fateful evening I attended a Star-Trek themed pub quiz and not only trounced the opposition, but got into an argument with the quiz master because the answer he had was wrong.  It's Utopia PLANITIA shipyards, not Utopia "Planetary" shipyards, the filthy p'takh.

I would not say I look back on this as proud moment in my life.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I linked you to that Exorcist 3 Re:View :)

The RLM guys are great, and these look back videos are fantastic. I've only watched a bit of TNG (my brother was the Trekkie) but I still really enjoyed them covering the episodes and mocking them a little but also genuinely interested in the smart things the episodes do and how well made (...or not...) they are.

Ah yes!  I lose track. 🤦‍♂️  They're fantastic, I loved their dive into the Darabont stuff.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Glad you mentioned The Expanse. Not seen the series, but the books are incredible.

I need to get back on this, think I'm running about two seasons behind at the moment.  It filled the Space: Above & Beyond-shaped hole in my heart.

Also I really need to watch Babylon 5 at some point, I've never seen it.

8 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I need to get back on this, think I'm running about two seasons behind at the moment.  It filled the Space: Above & Beyond-shaped hole in my heart.

Space:Above and Beyond! That's a name I've not heard in a long time. I was obsessed with that show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

B5 is very similar to Deep Space 9. In fact,  J Michael Straczynski claims that he presented B5 to the Star Trek people, they turned him down, he made B5 anyway and was then surprised that DS9 suddenly appeared and was extremely similar.

There are indeed similarities, but really, in a way it worked out well because we got two excellent series. B5 is a pretty incredible show - one big long story arc that moves in scope from the space station focus to a huge interplanetary war. It's really impressive, although sometimes a bit of a slog to get through the lesser episodes.

DS9 is similarly brilliant, with a darker feel than other Trek series, being based on the "wild west" frontier of known space. Like B5 it finds its legs as the series progresses.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 3

Â