Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

Dunno if it was maybe too obvious and thus a misdirect, but Vadic did have that line to Seven about it being appropriate that she was around for Jack's reveal, which is itself my only real grumble this season only in that they've dragged their heels on it so much that whatever it is will need to be pretty spectacular.  I've read enough wild conspiracy theories ranging from Armus finally got off that planet, the Great Link are the Borg's 'Species 0001', right up to "somehow, the Pah Wraiths returned!" (which I could possibly forgive the ludicrousness of if it somehow meant some bonus Gul Dukat).

Edited by GarethRDR

13 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Dunno if it was maybe too obvious and thus a misdirect, but Vadic did have that line to Seven about it being appropriate that she was around for Jack's reveal, which is itself my only real grumble this season only in that they've dragged their heels on it so much that whatever it is will need to be pretty spectacular.  I've read enough wild conspiracy theories ranging from Armus finally got off that planet, the Great Link are the Borg's 'Species 0001', right up to "somehow, the Pah Wraiths returned!" (which I could possibly forgive the ludicrousness of if it somehow meant some bonus Gul Dukat).

Agreed. They are dragging it out a LOT and it's either just going to be the Borg, or it's going to be some really contrived way of getting a relatively obscure villain in again to continue the intricate fan-service that has suffused the show.

Still, at least it's still entertaining.

Started watching "The Orville" while waiting for Picard. I quite like it. 

The first officer is hot in a "Carly Simon lookalike" way 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Started watching "The Orville" while waiting for Picard. I quite like it. 

The first officer is hot in a "Carly Simon lookalike" way 😉

The Orville gets much much better as the series progresses. And the the most recent season (New Horizons) is absolutely superb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Well this weeks…what a feast for the eyes. So emotional

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing the enterprise D again with them all on the bridge.

I'll be watching it in half an hour or so, so haven't read the spoiler yet.

My expectations have been set very high with everything I've been reading so I hope I'm not let down!

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'll be watching it in half an hour or so, so haven't read the spoiler yet.

My expectations have been set very high with everything I've been reading so I hope I'm not let down!

Oh wow! That was just brilliant. Loved it. If this had been Picard S1 imagine what could have been...

There are too many things to talk about, I'd have about a million spoilers.

However, if I were to pick one....

Spoiler

Carpets lol!

Edited by Lichfield Dean

I've just watched Picard season 3 episode 4 and I'm stunned by how much better it is. There are cringeworthy moments, but they're few and far between and there are actually genuinely interesting character moments in abundance.

I'd go as far as saying I kind of love it.

Spoiler

It uses the legacy characters pretty perfectly, and the new additions are good too (maybe less the villain lady so far).

As you say @Lichfield Dean, just imagine what they could have done if this was season 1, which was abysmal (I skipped season 2).

I believe Alex Kurtzman has less to do with this series. If that's true then I'm not surprised. He's wasted Star Trek's potential for the best part of 14 years.

Just now, Rolta said:

I've just watched Picard season 3 episode 4 and I'm stunned by how much better it is. There are cringeworthy moments, but they're few and far between and there are actually genuinely interesting character moments in abundance.

I'd go as far as saying I kind of love it.

Reveal hidden contents

It uses the legacy characters pretty perfectly, and the new additions are good too (maybe less the villain lady so far).

As you say @Lichfield Dean, just imagine what they could have done if this was season 1, which was abysmal (I skipped season 2).

I believe Alex Kurtzman has less to do with this series. If that's true then I'm not surprised. He's wasted Star Trek's potential for the best part of 14 years.

Thing is, it gets better and better as it goes on. The first few episodes I was unsure of, it still seemed a bit "off" and a bit obvious. But every episode had managed to be an improvement on the previous one, almost as if the showrunners are deliberately trying to pivot the whole series away from what nu-trek has become back towards what it used to be.

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Thing is, it gets better and better as it goes on. The first few episodes I was unsure of, it still seemed a bit "off" and a bit obvious. But every episode had managed to be an improvement on the previous one, almost as if the showrunners are deliberately trying to pivot the whole series away from what nu-trek has become back towards what it used to be.

Good to hear it gets better. I've enjoyed it throughout really. Obviously, it's even fair to say it's pretty different to how Trek used to be—it's more like the evolution they were always trying to do (a modern, serialised show) but were too stupid (Kurtzman) to achieve. There have been some genuinely great moments. I hope they persevere with this mix of older characters (Riker, Beverly etc) and the new ones. It's a nice blend.

Edited by Rolta

Just caught up on the latest episode, having spent the weekend away.

I knew it was coming.  It was obvious it was coming.  I don't care.  I don't care how corny it was.

I was ugly-crying when they gave me the D.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2023 at 20:46, GarethRDR said:

Just caught up on the latest episode, having spent the weekend away.

I knew it was coming.  It was obvious it was coming.  I don't care.  I don't care how corny it was.

I was ugly-crying when they gave me the D.

Spoiler that last comment!

I just watched episodes 5 and 6, and it's all pretty great. I can't believe they did a storyline about Picard's mum committing suicide in the second season (which I didn't watch), and I can't believe the choices they made with season 1 either.

Season 3 is exactly what these shows should be like. And unlike the shitshow Star Wars new movies they are actually allowing the original characters to still 'be' characters—full of moments and dynamics and interest.

On 10/04/2023 at 01:03, Lichfield Dean said:

The Orville gets much much better as the series progresses. And the the most recent season (New Horizons) is absolutely superb.

Not far from the end of season three, and have enjoyed it. 

Apart from one thing ; too many episodes spent on the doctor's love life. 

The big Picard finale today!

I've enjoyed this season a lot so far. It's still had its weaknesses - the actual plot and some of the writing has been a bit .. basic. But it's been big and bold and fun and they've leaned heavily on nostalgia (but somehow managed to do so in a non-aggravating manner).

Looking forward to catching up with the last episode tonight!

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

Woooo! That was fun!

Spoiler

Lots to enjoy, lots of funny quips.

Again, there was some lazy writing... I mean, the first part of the series had them "riding a shockwave" out of a big explosion, this episode had them flying into the middle of a huge ship, blowing it up, and then scarpering as quick as possible (where have I seen that before....)

But quibbles aside, it was all made with so much love for the show that it just made it an absolute joy to watch.

• Like 2

Still kind of irritated about

Spoiler

The recreation of the Lando Death Star 2 run using the Enterprise D inside a Borg cube. I mean, it was naff wasn't it...

Surely they could have come up with a better resolution? Typical of the poor writing throughout Picard really.

At least a lot of that stuff was masked to a degree this time by the sheer fun of the series as a whole.

But it could have been soooo much better.

It wasn't even close to the quality of, say, First Contact really when you think about it.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 10:05, Lichfield Dean said:

Still kind of irritated about

Hide contents

The recreation of the Lando Death Star 2 run using the Enterprise D inside a Borg cube. I mean, it was naff wasn't it...

Surely they could have come up with a better resolution? Typical of the poor writing throughout Picard really.

At least a lot of that stuff was masked to a degree this time by the sheer fun of the series as a whole.

But it could have been soooo much better.

It wasn't even close to the quality of, say, First Contact really when you think about it.

I think, as you say with the theme of this season being "fanservice/sod it, we're just going to go full throttle OTT", I can forgive that bit as I was just having too much fun to care.  Especially when they quite literally Tokyo-Drifted into transporter range, I was howling.

Downside of all this is I now desperately want that Titanprise spin-off.

Â