Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

Officially checked out of Picard now.  Just a drab, joyless mess of a show.  Hoping they put it out its misery and shit-can the whole thing at the end of the season.  Probably not helped that I've just this month finally gotten round to giving The Orville a try and, despite a shaky start, by the time it finds its feet it really is TNG-in-all-but-name.  Seth McFarlane is doing Trek better than actual Trek is doing Trek, that's really where we're at right now. *sigh* 

• Like 2

I'm enjoying this series of Picard. Much better than the mess of the first season. But I get the point about it being a bit joyless, that is definitely something that is missing.

I liked that...

Spoiler

The Watcher was indeed a reference to Gary Seven of the original series episode Assignment: Earth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Struggling a bit with Picard now. It seems to have turned into an endless procession of not very exciting B stories and the main plot is getting very confused. It is somehow both too complex with too many storylines happening and simultaneously pretty dull and meandering.

Further thoughts:

Spoiler

I sort of liked the story about Picard's parents where his mother is actually the problem in the family, but the way it was revealed with the "let's go inside his head" framing device was a bit and and whole thing with his father was rather suddenly introduced and the "twist" lacked impact because of a lack of buildup.

I like the attempt to explain why Q was so horrified that Picard had Guinan on the Enterprise back in the TNG days, but again it seemed a bit sort of thrown in for the sake of it.

And Jurati - I just cannot be doing with her character. In the first series she was a clever scientist that became very weird and geeky and then inexplicably became a total psychopath, then in this series is all cutesy and nerdy once more and then becomes a stone cold killer again and now has become the new Borg queen. They really just don't seem to have sorted her character out whatsoever.

And how many times are we going to get the "just as they're about to make a breakthrough the get arrested by 21st century clueless cops" trope?

I really thought this series started out with a lot of promise but... I'm losing faith in it rapidly.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Picard season 2.

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Was a bit pedestrian, everyone spoke in mind numbingly long pretentious monologues and there seemed to be too many storylines going on overall.

Some didn't like the ending - I thought it was ok but no more. They sort of tied all the loose ends up.

Oh and...

Spoiler

Wesley!!! He's back! And still annoying 🙂

I just think it could have been a really good four-parter with snappier writing and fewer storylines.

Also, the characterisations annoyed me. They could have switched the dialogue around between any character and it would have made no difference. The big thing about Star Trek that distinguished it was the excellent characters, and that just seems to have been lost somewhat.

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Finished Picard season 2.

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Was a bit pedestrian, everyone spoke in mind numbingly long pretentious monologues and there seemed to be too many storylines going on overall.

Some didn't like the ending - I thought it was ok but no more. They sort of tied all the loose ends up.

Oh and...

Reveal hidden contents

Wesley!!! He's back! And still annoying 🙂

I just think it could have been a really good four-parter with snappier writing and fewer storylines.

Also, the characterisations annoyed me. They could have switched the dialogue around between any character and it would have made no difference. The big thing about Star Trek that distinguished it was the excellent characters, and that just seems to have been lost somewhat.

Ffs so there's an episode ten? 

I was complaining in the TV shows thread that nine was a strange number of episodes and it was left on an annoying cliffhanger. 

Obviously no one read that post 🙄

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Ffs so there's an episode ten? 

I was complaining in the TV shows thread that nine was a strange number of episodes and it was left on an annoying cliffhanger. 

Obviously no one read that post 🙄

Ohhhh, yeah, there's an episode 10.

It certainly wraps the season up much better than if it had ended at episode 9!

• Haha 1

This isn't about Picard because I only watched the first episode this season. Although it was actually Ok in that episode the people who make that show are idiots.

I looked at the title of the thread and it reminded me of one of my first bugbears with Discovery (quickly it was everything about it)...99% of the characters in that show were American. They seemed like a group of people you could imagine seeing in any one moment in a New York coffee shop. Obviously it was diverse in one way, but really it wasn't. Star Fleet isn't just Americans and one random working together. It was some weird parallel dimension version of Star Trek, or like a coffee shop version of a Galaxy-Quest-accidentally-end-up-in-space story. They didn't behave 'Star Fleet' at all on top of that.  

(I know there was an alien and Michelle Yeoh and a robot lady) 

I just wanted to say that. I know I'm about 5 years late!

Edited by Rolta

Just now, Rolta said:

This isn't about Picard because I only watched the first episode this season. Although it was actually Ok in that episode the people who make that show are idiots.

I looked at the title of the thread and it reminded me of one of my first bugbears with Discovery (quickly it was everything about it)...99% of the characters in that show were American. They seemed like a group of people you could imagine seeing in any one moment in a New York coffee shop. Obviously it was diverse in one way, but really it wasn't. Star Fleet isn't just Americans and one random working together. It was some weird parallel dimension version of Star Trek, or like a coffee shop version of a Galaxy-Quest-accidentally-end-up-in-space story. They didn't behave 'Star Fleet' at all on top of that.  

(I know there was an alien and Michelle Yeoh and a robot lady) 

I just wanted to say that. I know I'm about 5 years late!

A lot of what you say is true. Star Trek now isn't like it was. That would necessarily be a bad thing in some ways, but the fact is most of the writing is just terrible.

The first couple of episodes of Picard season 2 seemed really promising, but it just got bogged down and ended up being a bit of a slog to get through. The writers just don't seem to be able to for good character interactions any more, I don't really get it. Everyone just has to keep delivering wordy pretentious monologues all the time. There's no natural conversation at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got to midway through season 2 of TNG in my rewatch. Season 1 was pretty universally poor. Season 2 is better, although still has some terrible episodes.

However... The Measure Of A Man is an absolutely outstanding episode. I'd go so far as to say it's not just one of the best TNG episodes it's one of the best episodes of TV that has ever been made.

Yes there are a couple of contrived scenarios created in order to set up the hearing but still the overall episode is a triumph, brilliantly written, brilliantly acted and leaves the kind of lasting impression that only the very best TV can.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just got the The Best Of Both Worlds part one in my TNG rewatch. What a great episode. So dramatic.

It's OK, but it's no Sub Rosa

Spoiler

tumblr_n8a1l1xQoK1snh15po1_400.gif

Edited by hogso
  • Haha 2

Â