Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Well, Picard ep. 3 was good by Picard's standards, but... it was still completely off tone. Picard has regressed back to being completely annoying. Some of the dialogue was incredibly clunky, and every other line had to be a quip, many of which really didn't land (particularly Worf's). It was unremittingly dark and bleak and violent, which I could live with if it was an occasional thing and was extremely well written (see The Wrath Of Khan) but unfortunately everything in nu-trek seems to have the same note (except Lower Decks which I absolutely love).

I don't know... I didn't hate the episode but it certainly was nowhere near the level of the best of the classic Trek episodes. And it definitely wasn't as good as many people seem to be claiming on the internet.

This article further put me off...https://trekcentral.net/star-trek-picard-season-3-is-season-1/

When I saw the clip of Action Crusher it reminded me a lot of Action Seven of Nine from Season 1. Seems there are more dumb similarities too—oh, and...

Spoiler

Worf decapitating people.

This isn't Star Trek. 
Then I saw an interview with the showrunner describing why Crusher was now Action Crusher—and it's the same shit every time. 'Oh lots has happened to the character'...and the result almost every single time in this universe is that they always become arsehole versions of themselves. In a show that used to be rich with character and have such a positive vibe, now people just become more arseholy—character growth is basically reduced to 'be more violent and cynical'—and the utopian draw of Star Trek is replaced by bleakness. The showrunners are idiots and they have zero idea about what made Star Trek so appealing. Lame. 

Star Trek: Picard Season 3 Is Just Season 1; With Nostalgia

by Dom Paris

-

March 3, 2023

Star Trek: Picard Season 3 is on our screens, and though it takes much inspiration from previous Star Trek, there also seem to be some more obvious connections to Season 1 of the show. So far it seems that Star Trek: Picard Season 3 is just Season 1; with nostalgia. However that doesn’t mean its bad. In this article, we will be looking at all the comparisons between these two seasons and what this might tell us!

This article was written with information from the first three episodes of Star Trek: Picard Season 3. Be warned that there are spoilers ahead.

Opening

The opening of season 1 was beautiful. Seeing the Galaxy Class U.S.S. Enterprise-D flying through space, backed by the amazing Blue Skies was so iconic. Blue Skies being a 1926 song by Irving Berlin, which has featured most notably in Star Trek: Nemesis and Star Trek: Picard.

Now the opening of season 3 of Star Trek: Picard is also very similar. We see a number of fantastic space shots before seeing a TNG-Era starship, the S.S. Eleos. Instead of the smooth tune of Irving Berlin, we have The Ink Spots and the song “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire”.

etc................

Edited by Rolta

Stumbled across a hilarious channel on YouTube called @newbiestartrek.

They review episodes and point out all the little mistakes or humorous bits. Would really recommend watching some of their shorter videos. 

Well now, I enjoyed that episode of Picard. The main plot was a bit predictable and hackneyed (particularly the really obvious way the Titan escaped the threat) but overall it actually felt like I was watching Star Trek.

Was it perfect? No. Did it still have some of the annoying nu-trek aspect? Yes. Was it a storytelling masterpiece? No. BUT it was enjoyable, the characters were to the fore and in general it made me feel good watching it.

Let's hope the series can improve even further.

Really good ep of Picard.

They actually

Spoiler

brought back Ro Laren!!! One of the best characters in TNG. I love herz she's amazing

But then

Spoiler

Nnnoooooo!!!! Why did they kill her off!!!! Waaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Definitely a much better season than before. Starting to really enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Only just watched episode one, pretty good so far.

Was hoping Seven was going to drop the nut on Captain Bellend.

Haha. I felt the first couple of episodes were a bit hit-and-miss but it's getting its act together now.

• Like 1

Have just had a 4 episode binge catch-up after those better-but-still-a-bit-underwhelming opening episodes...

WHERE THE **** HAS THIS SHOW BEEN FOR TWO SEASONS?!  I forgive them everything.  I don't even care about how little they're hiding the fan-service, hook that shit directly into my veins please.

Shout out to Captain Bellend, who's quietly gone about being one of the best parts of the show for me. 

Also lovely to see Amanda Plummer drawing directly from her father's playbook on how to be a gloriously OTT scenery-chewing Star Trek baddie.

Blow A Kiss Q Star Trek GIF - Blow A Kiss Q Star Trek Star Trek - Discover  & Share GIFs

• Like 3

Jesus. I've been as cynical as anyone about nu-trek, and there have been moments in this series that are suffused with that, but...

Oh my god these last two episodes have ramped up the excitement so much. Absolutely loving it now. Proper popcorn munching stuff.

Spoiler

Brent Spiner is just incredible. The way he switches between those characters is just sublime. The facial expressions, the speech cadence, it's amazing.

How are you supposed to delete a quote box on mobile? This editor is so annoying at times.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

The last two episodes have been a Star Trek geeks paradise.

Just wondering who’s going to show up next.

I bet it’s not Wil Wheaton though.

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Definitely holding out for sisko but I can’t get my hopes up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

They keep mentioning Janeway so it'd be odd if she didn't appear at some point.

Also, if you look on the web at the screenshots of the top-secret items in the Daystrom station, Kirk's remains are there and seem to be part of something called Project Phoenix. I mean, I can't really see it happening, but...

• Like 1

I don't want to read too many of the other posts in order to avoid spoilers, but I want to say that although I've moaned a lot about nu-Trek, I've watched the first two Picard season 3 episodes, and I have indeed enjoyed them (why didn't they do this before! Some of the choices they've made in all these TV shows have been so consistently bizarre).

I see Kurtzman isn't the boss of this one, which explains a lot!!

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

I don't want to read too many of the other posts in order to avoid spoilers, but I want to say that although I've moaned a lot about nu-Trek, I've watched the first two Picard season 3 episodes, and I have indeed enjoyed them (why didn't they do this before! Some of the choices they've made in all these TV shows have been so consistently bizarre).

I see Kurtzman isn't the boss of this one, which explains a lot!!

It gets much better!!!

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the latest episode of Picard. 

Spoiler

The scene with Data was really good, and funny when he took back control of the ship. 

It's been much better than I'd feared. There are still some things about it that grate (the overall aesthetics with the lens flare and ridiculously bright lighting throughout the shops whilst still somehow managing to be dark at the same time).

But looking past the stuff that feels out of place it's still really enjoyable. I'd like another series really now, albeit perhaps one that eases off on the grimdark revenge stuff.

23 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's been much better than I'd feared. There are still some things about it that grate (the overall aesthetics with the lens flare and ridiculously bright lighting throughout the shops whilst still somehow managing to be dark at the same time).

But looking past the stuff that feels out of place it's still really enjoyable. I'd like another series really now, albeit perhaps one that eases off on the grimdark revenge stuff.

Is episode eight the last one?

Story seems nowhere near finished 

50 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Is episode eight the last one?

Story seems nowhere near finished 

Two more episodes to go. Feels like they have a lot of story to fit into those episodes given that we still don't really know who the bad guys actually are.

• Like 1

Â