Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

11 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I'll take Crusher's ghost-wanks over Code Of Honor any day of the week.

Code Of Honor is astonishingly awful and to 21st century eyes really incredibly dated and borderline full-on racist.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely loving season 3 of Lower Decks. Its endless gentle mickey-taking of the show is pitch perfect, and now we get this!!

How Star Trek: Lower Decks set the stage for its mini Deep Space Nine reunion

https://ew.com/tv/how-the-deep-space-nine-reunion-on-star-trek-lower-decks/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=6335c23032f9dc00011918d7

Edited by Lichfield Dean

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/04/2022 at 19:57, Lichfield Dean said:

Please please please please do not mess this up

After reading brilliant reviews online I’ve just watched the first two episodes, and it’s a really strong start. Love the way they’ve gone back to each episode being a story like TOS and TNG. 

Pike is great, as is Spock. 

7 hours ago, av1 said:

After reading brilliant reviews online I’ve just watched the first two episodes, and it’s a really strong start. Love the way they’ve gone back to each episode being a story like TOS and TNG. 

Pike is great, as is Spock. 

I thought the first episode was ok. Is episode 2 the one that centres around Uhura humming a song? It was so aboninably shit it put me off watching more. I hate how dumb the writing is. It's such a shame all the worst people possible for their hands on this new iteration of star trek.

Wow. Now I'm almost getting excited. Can they really about turn so dramatically from the dismal first two series of Picard? This article says so:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/02/10/spoiler-free-review-the-final-season-of-star-trek-picard-sticks-the-landing/

Spoiler-Free Review: ‘Picard’ Season 3 Is A Star Trek Triumph, Honoring The Past As It Looks To The Future

Either way, Picard season 3, not unlike The Undiscovered Country was to original Star Trek, is an elegy for a beloved era of Star Trek and a ride more than worth taking. To paraphrase a certain glabrous captain, it is very engaging television. Kudos to Alex Kurtzman for giving the keys to the kingdom to Matalas, and to Terry and his creative team for making it so.

For balance, Engadget have slated it for all the reasons that bothered me about the trailer...

https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-picard-season-three-paramount-plus-preview-review-080010650.html

Don’t watch ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season three, it’ll only encourage them

The third season is yet another misguided waste of everyone’s time.

Maybe that’s why I feel so annoyed by Picard, because all of the things that are wrong with the show, and its kin, are examples of amateurishness. Amateurish plotting, amateurish dialogue, a lack of thoughtfulness about the material, what it says, or what it’s doing. Just an endless parade of big, dumb, brash, po-faced melodrama used in place of some sort of maturity or integrity. I don’t expect Star Trek to be brilliant all the damn time, but I do expect a minimum standard of something to be upheld. And this falls so far below it, it’s hard to call it Star Trek. Some people will call that gatekeeping, but Star Trek can be anything it damn well wants to be, so long as it's competently made and halfway entertaining. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

For balance, Engadget have slated it for all the reasons that bothered me about the trailer...

https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-picard-season-three-paramount-plus-preview-review-080010650.html

Don’t watch ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season three, it’ll only encourage them

The third season is yet another misguided waste of everyone’s time.

Maybe that’s why I feel so annoyed by Picard, because all of the things that are wrong with the show, and its kin, are examples of amateurishness. Amateurish plotting, amateurish dialogue, a lack of thoughtfulness about the material, what it says, or what it’s doing. Just an endless parade of big, dumb, brash, po-faced melodrama used in place of some sort of maturity or integrity. I don’t expect Star Trek to be brilliant all the damn time, but I do expect a minimum standard of something to be upheld. And this falls so far below it, it’s hard to call it Star Trek. Some people will call that gatekeeping, but Star Trek can be anything it damn well wants to be, so long as it's competently made and halfway entertaining. 

I'm not surprised. The people who make all these shows are idiots. The trailer was way too full of the same shitty action and the same shitty dialogue and the same shitty plots. They took a franchise full of heart and ideas and stripped it of everything good and made their own moronic imitation—every single one of the shows is an abomination.

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm not surprised. The people who make all these shows are idiots. The trailer was way too full of the same shitty action and the same shitty dialogue and the same shitty plots. They took a franchise full of heart and ideas and stripped it of everything good and made their own moronic imitation—every single one of the shows is an abomination.

It really was. "There's a darkness", "We will have our revenge" and other bland overused lines that sound like they came from a 12 year old are all through the trailer.

And why does it always have to be an existential threat against Star Fleet? Why can't they go out and discover something new? It's always got to be some kind of simple good vs evil Star Wars nonsense these days. Star Trek was always about more than that.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement just in case it is good (there have been enough positive reviews to still give me hope). I mean, Wrath Of Khan was dark and had a villain out to get Kirk and it was all kinds of incredible, so ... well let's see.

• Like 1

Well, it was a strong opening episode for Picard S3. Lots of sequences nicked from The Motion Picture and Wrath Of Khan, but at least it was relatively subtle and nicely done. And the use of music cues from the films was nice to hear.

Hopefully the series can sustain this through its run. The first two seasons started out well I thought and look how those turned out.

On 11/02/2023 at 14:33, Lichfield Dean said:

It really was. "There's a darkness", "We will have our revenge" and other bland overused lines that sound like they came from a 12 year old are all through the trailer.

And why does it always have to be an existential threat against Star Fleet? Why can't they go out and discover something new? It's always got to be some kind of simple good vs evil Star Wars nonsense these days. Star Trek was always about more than that.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement just in case it is good (there have been enough positive reviews to still give me hope). I mean, Wrath Of Khan was dark and had a villain out to get Kirk and it was all kinds of incredible, so ... well let's see.

Agree. That’s why I liked the first season of strange new world. Each episode was a light hearted story akin to TOS and TNG rather than the dark, drawn out season long plots of more recent stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts on episode two of Picard S3 below.

Spoiler

So, the second episode of Picard S3. I'm in two minds really. It was fairly enjoyable, there were a lot of things I liked, it certainly wasn't bad. But... it still has a slightly "wrong" feel to it somehow. And the writing does veer into the same old nu-trek tropes a lot. Unnecessary and unrealistic outbursts from supposedly highly trained starfleet officers, an over-reliance on hilarious quips, dubious characterisation and some tedious stuff in what appears to be the Blade Runner set.

The new characters seem very one-dimensional and everything is just flat with them. The Ferengi character they introduced is partially like the DS9 Ferengi but is still too poorly drawn and has too many human responses and characteristics for me.

The antagonist lady is somewhat OTT and cartoonish, but then a lot of Star Trek baddies (especially in the movies) are like that. I can live with it I think. I hope she has a proper motivation for what she is doing though - if it's just another revenge plot it'll be very underwhelming.

Positives:

The Shrike ship is pretty cool. Nice to see a ship in nu-trek that is cleanly defined and not a mass of cloudy stuff and complex gubbins all over the place.

Picard showed some signs of actually being Picard instead of a generic old man which was a huge improvement.

Riker still provides a foil for Picard to bounce off and it makes the show a lot stronger.

The TNG characters are all so much stronger and more relatable than any of the new characters. The more this show heads back into TNG territory the better.

Worf is still just the best.

Have started watching TNG again.

The first few episodes of the first season are so clunky (yet strangely still some classic episodes) and awkward I'm amazed it got a second season. 

Ends up being absolutely brilliant though. 

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have started watching TNG again.

The first few episodes of the first season are so clunky (yet strangely still some classic episodes) and awkward I'm amazed it got a second season. 

Ends up being absolutely brilliant though. 

Yeah, season 1 was pretty awful. Season 2 wasn't much better, although had a couple of absolute standout episodes (especially The Measure Of A Man).

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, season 1 was pretty awful. Season 2 wasn't much better, although had a couple of absolute standout episodes (especially The Measure Of A Man).

I'm probably about 12 episodes in this time around and it's far from great. The writing is poor, the acting clunky, characters poorly developed and several times the answer to the problem just kinda pops out of nowhere without any effort. 

The introduction of the Ferengi in episode five is so, so bad.

However, there's been some 'classic' (possibly not the right word) episodes in that there's been 2 Q episodes, the 'drunk' episode with Tasha/Data, the Traveler episode, the Stargazer backstory, Data's homeworld and the introduction of Lore.

Â