Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

9 hours ago, Rodders said:

Last few weeks I've started watching TNG for the first time :o

I'm genuinely jealous/happy for you there

9 hours ago, Rodders said:

Though does feel like almost every other episode is another case of data learning about humanity. Thought he'd have picked it up by now 😛

That's the device for character vs self conflict for ya - Data, Spock, 7of9, Tpol, Odo etc trying to understand the humans

55 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think Gene Roddenberry agreed fwiw. Lots of people associated with the reboots (TNG onwards) have loads of tales of him not agreeing with their storylines (and outright stealing scripts or re writing them) - but one of the main themes in those tales seems to be that by introducing so much war n that it goes against his idea of mankind having transcended all that conflict. Writers say they were often frustrated because so much of stroytelling/writing is based on literary conflict.

Yeah, I remember reading that too. It's certainly an interesting point and I do agree with it broadly - although the existence of the fundamentally warlike Klingons in the original series kinda implies that humanity might be forced into conflict even if the Federation itself has become the utopian ideal?

To be fair, I do appreciate the way that DS9 used the wartime setting as a space to explore some of the ethical quandries of war / colonialism / etc too, which I think is far more authentic Trek than the newer series (like whatever that one with Jason Isaacs was) that just seem intent on making bad action flicks instead.

Edited by Panto_Villan

21 hours ago, Rodders said:

I have vague memories of it being on initially when I was a kid but never really got into it then or much of a star wars or star trek fan. But damn  nearly 5 seasons in and its mostly very very good! Though does feel like almost every other episode is another case of data learning about humanity. Thought he'd have picked it up by now 😛

The first two seasons aren't actually very good. I started again from season 1, but I jump forwards sometimes and do season 3 at the same time.

On 20/03/2024 at 23:31, Rodders said:

I have vague memories of it being on initially when I was a kid but never really got into it then or much of a star wars or star trek fan. But damn  nearly 5 seasons in and its mostly very very good! Though does feel like almost every other episode is another case of data learning about humanity. Thought he'd have picked it up by now 😛

When it's good, it's very very good. Measure Of A Man, Best Of Both Worlds, The Inner Light, Chain Of Command, Darmok... It's as good as any TV has been when it's on form.

Then you have lots of tedious episodes and some downright offensive episodes.

Overall though I love it.

Â