Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Agreed about The Orville. Probably the best Star Trek out there at the moment. I can't stand Discovery myself, I've tried and tried but it just feels... wrong.

Season 1 of Picard was very poor, but S2 has started really well, so I've got high hopes that they have worked out what to do with it now.

And, unexpectedly, I love Lower Decks. It has more Star Trek per millisecond than any other series, and is clearly made by people who deeply love the show. Mariner Beckett is to me everything that Michael Burnham should have been.

I haven't seen Prodigy yet, but I have heard good things about it.

And I'm hoping Strange New Worlds is going to be good, although the fact they've already given in and announced Kirk will be in it makes me a tad concerned. I just hope Kurtzman can be kept at arm's length...

Lower Decks is fantastic and it being animated allows them so much scope for creativity. It works on several levels, gets better with each viewing and is jam packed with Easter eggs. 

Discovery is dire. I've tried it but just can't enjoy it. I have almost no desire to watch the latest series. Burnham is an awful lead character and the supporting ones aren't great. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think I watched a bit of Next Generation, couldn’t tell you much.

Think I’ve watched the full Next Gen series three times from episode one to the last episode over the last thirty years.  Really enjoyed it that I keep going back.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, picicata said:

I don't really watch much Star Trek but I do very much enjoy Lower Decks. The right amount of humour, nerdiness and, surprisingly, heart.

This episode of Picard referenced Rick and Morty. And Mike McMahan (who created Lower Decks) is a writer and producer of Rick and Morty. So I don't know what that means really... Is Lower Decks also a TV show in the Star Trek universe?

Also, Rick and Morty is utterly bonkers brilliant too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

This episode of Picard referenced Rick and Morty. And Mike McMahan (who created Lower Decks) is a writer and producer of Rick and Morty. So I don't know what that means really... Is Lower Decks also a TV show in the Star Trek universe?

Also, Rick and Morty is utterly bonkers brilliant too.

Yep, Lower Decks is an animated Star Trek show on either Netflix or Amazon (can't remember which!) It's not quite as bonkers as Rick and Morty (which is superb) but is an excellent show in its own right.

• Like 1

Director's Edition? Jesus Christ.

Oh good, it's just a remaster/upscale.  For a moment I was worried they'd somehow added yet more footage to the 45-minute-shot of the Enterprise in drydock. Sure never thought there'd be a time in my life where even I got bored of looking at a spaceship, hell you can practically hear the visual effects guys jerking off during the whole sequence.

Wonder if we'll ever get a version where they deep-fake and overdub out the guy playing Decker. 😬

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Director's Edition? Jesus Christ.

Oh good, it's just a remaster/upscale.  For a moment I was worried they'd somehow added yet more footage to the 45-minute-shot of the Enterprise in drydock. Sure never thought there'd be a time in my life where even I got bored of looking at a spaceship, hell you can practically hear the visual effects guys jerking off during the whole sequence.

Wonder if we'll ever get a version where they deep-fake and overdub out the guy playing Decker. 😬

They certainly overdid that drydock shot. But apparently they just pivoted from making an episode of the abandoned Star Trek Phase II series to make a movie instead, so I guess they just needed to pad out a lot of time.

Will say this for TMP; the transporter malfunction scene is possibly in the top 5 best all-time Trek moments.

"What we got back didn't live long... fortunately".

Edited by GarethRDR

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

They certainly overdid that drydock shot. But apparently they just pivoted from making an episode of the abandoned Star Trek Phase II series to make a movie instead, so I guess they just needed to pad out a lot of time.

If TMP needed anything, padding out was not the issue! I get they wanted to show off some of the pretty impressive for the time visual effects, but goodness me, it feels overindulgent by the end. And the dry dock scene is far from the only culpret. 

Â