Battle for top half finish

turvontour

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Newcastle at home is Burnley's easiest remaining fixture, for some strange reason a lot of people think Villa is easier than Newcastle. Not sure why. 

If we want to finish in the top half, we have to beat Palace and Burnley at home and try to nick something from City and/or Liverpool. Even then we might still miss out. 

Maybe we will be on the beach as well by then 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe we will be on the beach as well by then 

I think you could use that argument for both us and the Barcodes but probably not even one of their players would get in our side so it's definitely easier to beat them than us even if we are inconsistent.

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Newcastle at home is Burnley's easiest remaining fixture, for some strange reason a lot of people think Villa is easier than Newcastle. Not sure why. 

If we want to finish in the top half, we have to beat Palace and Burnley at home and try to nick something from City and/or Liverpool. Even then we might still miss out. 

I'll take this: a Grealish own goal giving us a 1-0 win over City, giving us a better finish than last year and also handing Liverpool the title.

I do understand why he left, but that would be pretty funny.

• Haha 1

Gonna be a bit of a squeeze to grab a top ten finish.

Think the best we can realistically expect is a win against Palace and Burnley, lose to Man City. Puts us on 49 points.

Brighton currently on 47, they have Leeds and West Ham. Might be two draws at a push, although the rate of Leeds’ decline suggests they’ll pick up a win. 

Leicester currently on 45 points, Watford, Chelsea, Southampton. I reckon 49 points at a minimum, maybe 51.

Palace on 44, with us, Everton and Man Utd. To be honest, anything from 0 to 9 points from those seems entirely plausible to me.

Brentford on 43. They’ll be deciding who gets relegated with Everton and Leeds. Think they’ll finish below us. 

For completion, the geordies might reach 46 points.

Not going to be much between 9th and 14th.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 12:38, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think you could use that argument for both us and the Barcodes but probably not even one of their players would get in our side so it's definitely easier to beat them than us even if we are inconsistent.

Guimares?

St. Maximin?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Today just showed we're not quite good enough at both ends I'm afraid.

Big summer ahead....when you see the state likes of Wolves are ending this season in we really should be seriously challenging them next season.

Need to get the key positions right but we say that every summer.

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

A point at City provided we beat Burnley and Brighton loss means we could still make top 10.

I don' think it will happen but mathematically it is still possible.

That would only get us to 11th wouldn't it as Leicester are on 48 points and I doubt they'll lose at home to Southampton.

We're just a mid table team.

I guess being kind you could say we peaked last season to finish 11th with a settled team and Grealish in amazing form and yet we could finish 11th this season with change of manager and key players not being integrated into team/injured so our base level in mediocre seasons is mid table.

Won't be good enough in 12 months time though so pressure is going to build on Gerrard to get it right in key areas.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That would only get us to 11th wouldn't it as Leicester are on 48 points and I doubt they'll lose at home to Southampton.

We're just a mid table team.

I guess being kind you could say we peaked last season to finish 11th with a settled team and Grealish in amazing form and yet we could finish 11th this season with change of manager and key players not being integrated into team/injured so our base level in mediocre seasons is mid table.

Won't be good enough in 12 months time though so pressure is going to build on Gerrard to get it right in key areas.

Chris we're 12th on 44 points, Palace are 11th on 45 points, Brighton are 10th on 48 points. We don't need to finish above Leicester as they're 9th. 

Brighton play Wet Spam final game of the season so could easily lose, if we were to pick up 4 points from last 2 we would finish above them on GD.

I don't think it will happen because we always lose at City (although I would love it if we did stop them winning the title) but it is still mathematically possible.

We just need to focus on beating Burnley first, we'll need to play a hell of a lot better than the crap we saw today that's for sure.

Gerrard will be judged on how we've done since he came in, that we're unlikely to finish top half isn't his fault as nothing he can do about the eleven games at the start of the season when he wasn't manager.

We're nineth in the form guide since Gerrard came in just one point off Wolves in eighth, having played a game less than them in that time, obviously if we beat Burnley we will move to eighth in that from guide.

Basically since Gerrard's appointment we're the eighth best team in the division when it comes to points per game won, although I would say some of that is down to how poor some of the teams below the top six have been as much as it's been about how good we've been, Wolves eighth in the table for example have lost more games than they've won, West Ham in seventh, good result for them today, but since early November have played more and taken less points than us, likes of Leicester, and Brigton and Palace have been very up and down as well.

Next season Gerrard will have had a summer transfer window, a pre season, and will obviously be our manager from the start, so we will be expected to challenge for top seven, I think the idea of not finishing in the top half will be out of the question.

We need to start doing better in the cups as well.

30 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

People need to stop saying it's the players, it really isn't, look at how Palace play under Vieira and other than Gallagher their midfield is exactly the same as it was last season. 

Ok, devils advocate here, but we finished 11th last season, probably similar this season. Doesn't that suggest the ceiling has been reached with a number of players? 

Are we guilty of overrating our players? Perhaps the bulk are mid table fodder. 

• Like 4

Just now, Xela said:

Ok, devils advocate here, but we finished 11th last season, probably similar this season. Doesn't that suggest the ceiling has been reached with a number of players? 

we are 100% guilty of overrating many of our players, i think only 4-6 are top 8 capable, the rest are mid to lower table quality.

I agree the current batch is mid, to lower end of the table quality.

I question whether some are even PL quality.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

If we sold our starting Xi teams higher up would snap them up quickly 

Also last season we finished 11th on 55 points. Would get you 8th this season or most seasons in league history

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think after our summer and injury hit start of the season, 11th is a good finish. 

I do think we are slightly capable of more. We did add Coutinho and Digne in January to a decent squad. 

There's gaps in there, no doubt but our strength in depth is much better than it was last season. 

• Like 2

Â