Battle for top half finish

turvontour

14 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The middle bunch really seem to be stuttering now. A good end to the season from us and we sneak top half I think.

Not surprising really as none have anything to play for

Good result, one I wasn’t expecting so very pleased with that.

Makes this target seem more feasible, although it’s so congested between 9th and 14th any of those final league positions seems plausible.

Regardless of whether it’s ultimately top ten or not, a positive end after a somewhat turbulent season would be very much welcome.

Think we will finish 6 points off last seasons total. I will take that after losing our best and most consistent player. Actually when you consider we took 6 points from Arsenal, 4 from Chelsea and beat Liverpool 7-2 last season which is way more than we would’ve expected, this season hasn’t been that bad albeit a bit frustrating. 

We have two games in hand over Brighton in 9th. That’s the position to realistically aim for, although Brighton currently 1-0 over United isn’t helpful. It’s a shame that two of our games are against the top two, but you never know.

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We have two games in hand over Brighton in 9th. That’s the position to realistically aim for, although Brighton currently 1-0 over United isn’t helpful. It’s a shame that two of our games are against the top two, but you never know.

Think aim should be just to win at home to Burnley and Palace. 49 points so we'd be very close to top 10 given our GD is neutral.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jim said:

Of course it is, if we finished second last year and finished first this year with less points. Would it not count? 

Absolutely nobody would be saying it was regression if you finish higher up the league. 

Did you read the discussion? I said apart from winning trophies and relegation.  When you are middle of the table points matter just as much as league position in terms of progression.  You need to read the discussion rather than piping in on one comment.

If you finish 11th on 55 points but let’s say 10th on 44 points the next season, is that progression?  Yes by league position but you’ve obviously significantly poorer in what you have done yourself.  One is in comparison to others, the other is about what you have done yourself.

C’mon guys this isn’t hard stuff unless you are being disingenuous!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, STO said:

The whole division seems to be worth fewer points this season.  

But it’s not about points I’m being told but where the thread sits in the topics page 😂

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Did you read the discussion? I said apart from winning trophies and relegation.  When you are middle of the table points matter just as much as league position in terms of progression.  You need to read the discussion rather than piping in on one comment.

If you finish 11th on 55 points but let’s say 10th on 44 points the next season, is that progression?  Yes by league position but you’ve obviously significantly poorer in what you have done yourself.  One is in comparison to others, the other is about what you have done yourself.

You can spin it however you want but IF we finish 9th or 10th that’s progress.

Especially given the atrocious start of losing 7 of the first 11 games.

League position is what people talk about not how many points you accumulated vs the previous year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jim said:

League position is what people talk about not how many points you accumulated vs the previous year.

Exactly.

Progress in a season which was disrupted by losing our best player, changing the manager and adapting our style.

Villa look capable of top ten which is indeed good progress considering the situation we were in.

• Like 3

Brighton beating United well probably consigns us to 11th. They just need one win from last two games away to Leeds and home to West Ham (who will have cemented 7th spot by then).

Leicester have a run of winable games and plenty games in hand so they'll end 9th. We only needed United to not lose to Brighton and we had a good chance

31 minutes ago, jim said:

But surely points dictate that we are a worse team than last season, just the league is relatively weaker than it was last. 

I suppose if you're looking at it, last season we were unfortunate not to be top 8 on points. This season the inverse would be true. 

It's not about dressing things up, progress is about winning more football matches. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jim said:

Maybe those people are not the brightest that you are listening to.  Most people talk about league position, points and many other things when talking about progression.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

But it’s all relative to that season isn’t it? 

All that matters is final league placing at the end of the day, comparing points totals from different seasons seems irrelevant to me.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe those people are not the brightest that you are listening to.  Most people talk about league position, points and many other things when talking about progression.

Rubbish. Almost everyone in the game talks about league position.

”Villa will be looking to improve on x position this season” 

“Villa will be looking to improve on x points this season as the season before they finished on x points but their league position wasn’t as good” Said no one ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we get 2 more wins we should be 7th in the table since Gerrard took over on 39 points from 27 games. Behind only the big 6

But what does the 2022 table look like? 

All things considered, 9th would be a fantastic position to finish in.

League position is more important. But the number of points is something to take into consideration.

Exaggerated example, if you finished 16th, but were one point away from a final position of 18th one season and the next season you finished 17th but were 12 points clear of 18th, which one was better, or more comfortable at least?

Last season it was 55 points and 11th. We finished 10 points ahead of Newcastle in 12th and we were 7 points away from Spurs in 7th. So to my mind, we were hanging out in the company of Arsenal and Spurs than Newcastle and below. I know I spent the season thinking that and I think a lot of people on here were thinking the same. So to my mind it’s slightly disingenuous to look at a final league position with no context of what the teams surrounding it also achieved.

Regardless it’s all rather congested at the moment, 9th could be achieved, 14th could easily happen too. Ditto the league table since Gerrard took over, that’s slightly congested too, although I think by that metric Gerrard should and will achieve a top ten finish would be good. 

Wherever it ultimately turns out to be I’m fairly content with things as they are going forward.

• Like 1

Â