The Hypocrisy of FIFA

Thug

But the excitement comes from 2 going through. If they make 3 go through thanks to goal difference the tension is largely gone. And like I said, it means collusion can come in. 

"Oh, you need to draw to be one of the 8 best 3rd placed team... we won the group already, let's play out a draw..."

It will suck whatever solution they could up with. But hey, it's FIFA, so of course it will.

• Like 1

They are backing down from having Visit Saudi as sponsor for the women 23 WC apparently after the massive critique. The tournament will instead be sponsored by The Wagner Group or something similar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

They are backing down from having Visit Saudi as sponsor for the women 23 WC apparently after the massive critique. The tournament will instead be sponsored by The Wagner Group or something similar.

Wish I could be more confident that your joke doesn't end up being the truth.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 22:56, MrBlack said:

But the excitement comes from 2 going through. If they make 3 go through thanks to goal difference the tension is largely gone. And like I said, it means collusion can come in. 

"Oh, you need to draw to be one of the 8 best 3rd placed team... we won the group already, let's play out a draw..."

It will suck whatever solution they could up with. But hey, it's FIFA, so of course it will.

It’s almost like you need 2^n (n>1) teams to make a tournament work properly. Who’d have thunk it.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Shocked 1

As someone else said earlier, the final group rounds won't be as exciting if 8 out of 12 third placed teams qualify as well.

So while this format does overcome the issues of some teams only playing 2 matches in the tournament and groups not finishing simultaneously, it only (perhaps) reduces the possibility of collusion and increased the excitement to a certain extent.

Meanwhile, it undoubtedly does generate FIFA more money, so...

How long (in number of tournament terms) before they scrap this nonsensical format and go 64 teams, adding just another 24 group games to the schedule?

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

104 matches at the next World Cup

40 more than 2022 😂😂 farce

Tournament to be played over 39 days instead of the previous 29. Will be cheap for any visiting fan hoping to watch the tournament live :D 

Edited by sne

They’re going to water it down so much it’ll become boring.

The whole point of qualifiers is to filter out all the crap.

32 teams

8 groups of 4

top 2 qualify from each into a knockout 16.

Should be set in stone and never **** with.

• Like 2

Yup, they killed it. When you make two thirds of the third place teams qualify, it seriously reduces the excitement of the last group game. There's no jeopardy. The last round of games don't become a deciding factor with the tournament ending for the teams that finish third by a whisker.

Clubs can finish their group but may have to wait nearly a week to know if they're going through or not. Am extra week of training for the players in case they scrape through as a "best" third place finisher. I say "best" because its not really the best. Best would imply the minority, but 66% of third place teams going through means the extra round is going to have some real dross in it.

There was no fix to the expansion of the number of teams. And I'm not sure what the least bad solution to keeping it at 48 teams is. Fifa are a joke. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

104 matches at the next World Cup

40 more than 2022 😂😂 farce

Another benefit to top teams with big squads who can rotate. Players will be knackered before the season starts.

It will be 64 teams by 2030, nailed on. 104 games are ludicrous. I wouldn't want anyone watching every game for their personal well-being and health, let alone the players. It will be a mini-football season run by FIFA hosted in a multi-state format for the foreseeable future. No one nation would want to host 48 teams.

96 teams, 32 groups of 3. Group games home and away in the each nation's own country. Final group games played simultaneously as the top seed plays an A side vs the 2nd seed and a B side vs the bottom seed. Squads are 36 players deep anyway. Top 2 qualify to a knockout stage of 64, which then moves to one host country or group thereof for the remaining games. Goals in overtime count double. No extra time. Hockey style penalties.

On 15/03/2023 at 08:56, The Fun Factory said:

It will be 64 teams by 2030, nailed on. 104 games are ludicrous. I wouldn't want anyone watching every game for their personal well-being and health, let alone the players. It will be a mini-football season run by FIFA hosted in a multi-state format for the foreseeable future. No one nation would want to host 48 teams.

No nation is likely to host 48 teams - it might be logistically difficult considering each team needs training facilities etc. 

As a fan, I don't mind 104 games. Sure, the number of teams depreciates the achievement of getting there, but it's great for countries like Jamaica or Chile. I think that FIFA (for better or worse) needs to look at the WC through the perspective of a 'global' game rather than Germany, Brazil, England and France. People in Egypt are just as passionate about football as English, if not more. Give them a chance to celebrate something. 

Also, give me as much football as possible in the summer - I will probably aim to watch at least 1 game every day. I will enjoy watching Canada play New Zealand. My well being and health will be fine.

*The Disclaimer

The only reason FIFA has decided to go multi country 48 team tournament is not due to 'caring for smaller nations' but due to votes they will gain from them in next elections and money for/from those federations.

But putting that aside, give me a beer, 22 degree English summer, and a good game to watch in the garden thank you very much.  

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

96 teams, 32 groups of 3. Group games home and away in the each nation's own country. Final group games played simultaneously as the top seed plays an A side vs the 2nd seed and a B side vs the bottom seed. Squads are 36 players deep anyway. Top 2 qualify to a knockout stage of 64, which then moves to one host country or group thereof for the remaining games. Goals in overtime count double. No extra time. Hockey style penalties.

Winner plays Qatar immediately after in the real World Cup final

• Haha 1

Â