The Hypocrisy of FIFA

Thug

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Four-team groups is obviously the right call but the number of games is getting out of hand, and the format for third place qualifiers -- if the same as in the 24-team Euros -- is awful.

@The Fun Factory, also per your comment...

They haven't got the time available to do a round where there are some third place qualifiers. That adds a round of 32 and would be 136 games!

They already know they need to keep the footprint of the tournament the same.  Like i said before they've messed up. 

Edited by MrBlack

44 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Choosing Adriana Lima as an official ambassador for the Women’s World Cup went down just as well as one would have expected. Anti abortion and starvation-diet before fashion-shows screams women football.

Infantino: "When you get to meet Adriana, you feel right away her warmth" :lol:

Arent Saudi Arabia also sponsoring the tournament 😂

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Arent Saudi Arabia also sponsoring the tournament 😂

They should fly in Bill Cosby so he can make a Diana Ross style opening ceremony kick.

Maybe they make all teams play their league games at the same time if they want a round of 32. But again, having 3rd place teams qualify from the group stages undermines the excitement they got from 2 qualifying from 4.

I don't see anyway they make it work as well as it does currently. 

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

They haven't got the time available to do a round where there are some third place qualifiers. That adds a round of 32 and would be 136 games!

They already know they need to keep the footprint of the tournament the same.  Like i said before they've messed up. 

Could seed the first 16 and then the other 32 play each other in a play off to get to the group stages?

This would mean the bigger nations have one less game for the players. But not so good for tv ratings, which is what the World Cup is all about.

I would say 40 should be the maximum that any world cup should have. Any more and you will lose track of who is playing who. But  that takes common sense which FIFA aren't know for.

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I get (12 x 6) [groups] + 16 [R32] + 8 [R16] + 4 [QFs] + 2 [SFs] + 2 [Fs] = 104 

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Arent Saudi Arabia also buying the 2030 world cup via spo spring this tournament rather than brown envelopes under the table 😂

There was also some leaks the other week that SA has offered to pay for the construction costs required in Greece on exchange for more games in their bid

28 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

29 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

More games overall but same number of games for the winner

It'll pass

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

More games overall but same number of games for the winner

It'll pass

Of course. Plus it's all part of the plan to have a 3 month long world cup cos money. 

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Choosing Adriana Lima as an official ambassador for the Women’s World Cup went down just as well as one would have expected. Anti abortion and starvation-diet before fashion-shows screams women football.

Infantino: "When you get to meet Adriana, you feel right away her warmth" :lol:

I'm sure women in sport and all the little girls watching around the World will love to be represented by and will take inspiration from a Victoria's Secret model. 

Much more suitable than a successful female Olympian or someone like that. 

Nothing dodgy or misogynistic going on there at all.

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Isn't it 3 group games instead of 2 and the same number of knockout matches?

Not sure the numbers add up as will be 12 groups of 4 instead of 16 groups of 3

8th best 3rd place teams make the last 32 😂

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Isn't it 3 group games instead of 2 and the same number of knockout matches?

Yes but it would go straight to round of 32 whereas 3 teams in a group goes to round of 64

Whichever way they do it its 7 games to win it

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not sure the numbers add up as will be 12 groups of 4 instead of 16 groups of 3

8th best 3rd place teams make the last 32 😂

Yes that's the same as the last Euros but double the amount of groups.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes but it would go straight to round of 32 whereas 3 teams in a group goes to round of 64

Whichever way they do it its 7 games to win it

There are only 48 teams in it, how are we getting a round of 64? 😀

Just now, fightoffyour said:

There are only 48 teams in it, how are we getting a round of 64? 😀

Is a new bonus round that FIFA allows richer less talented teams to buy an entry to the knockouts

• Haha 1

I'm one step ahead of fifa...

But seriously though the argument for expansion before was all around the winner still playing the same number of games so there's no extra effort required by players

Are they now saying that's changing?

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But seriously though the argument for expansion before was all around the winner still playing the same number of games so there's no extra effort required by players

Yes it seems to be to add an extra game each in the group

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Well if you expand from 32 teams in 8 groups of 4 to 48 teams in 16 groups of 3 then the winner plays the same number of games - you lose a group game each but get an extra knockout round of 32 instead of straight to 16.

If you then change that to 12 groups of 4, you've kept the same number of group games and added in an extra knockout round - you still need to get to 32 with 8 out of 12 best 3rd-placed teams.

They probably intended to do this from the start - they couldn't have a better set of hosts to do it and there are loads of shortlisted stadia that didn't get picked as far as I remember.

Edited by fightoffyour

More games = more money. Thats all the words removed at FIFA care about. They'd have a world cup every year if they could. 

Â