Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/22 at 23:59

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Fine with me, but don’t think he was the main reason why we only had one shot on target today and one against Newcastle. The defensive mid debate is one thing, Villa being totally unable to create chances is another.

Fair. Its a target rich environment for problems and solutions. I dont blame him alone.

• Like 1

My dear old dad took me to my one and (so far) only match at Villa Park in 1974. My first experience of football. Who would have guessed that I was being set up for a life of perennial disappointment punctuated by a few moments of blinding glory? 

Oh, we lost that one, too. Thanks, Dad. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Adman said:

I actually think most of the players are giving everything theyve got.  The system is not suiting the players and it needs to change before Gerrard loses the players and their input drops too.

Those players aren’t giving everything they’ve got!

Absolutely no chance!

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Just got home from the game!  

I have to say, that game broke me today.  

I need a few days off, I’ll read a few comments and maybe some replies but I’m down this evening! Just peeved off to the max.

Thank you for enduring that. Its frustrating enough watching it from the other side of the world from my couch. I cant imagine how infuriating it must be to have been there.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

This all feels a little Steve Bruce'ish. Tactically very poor and an ability to make substitutions which absolutely baffle us. How many attacking players did we have on the field at the end?

I said that to the bloke next to me, we're now wide open with the substitutions. It played right into Hodgsons game plan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I said that to the bloke next to me, we're now wide open with the substitutions. It played right into Hodgsons game plan. 

Gerrard’s subs both from a timing, player and style adjustment was so poor today.

I honestly cant remember a worse away team to come to Villa Park. They looked a played like a team that never scores or wins.

An absolute disgrace, not just that we couldn't beat them today, but couldnt avoid defeat, same as last week. 

Not sure where we go from here. Barring 15 mins v leeds its 3 straight games of rubbish against the worst teams in the league.

• Like 2

The players worked hard but yet again we got out muscled in midfield. The substitutions were little short of disastrous. All they did was make a weak midfield even weaker.

I am prepared to accept that this is basically not Gerrard's side but the tactics or lack of them sit with him. I expected some serious changes after the NU game but all that happened was Watkins was rightly dropped for Ings and the root problems were not addressed. I would be very tempted to start Chambers as the DM to protect the back four as it's clear Luiz cannot do that job effectively. I'm not suggesting the problem is Gerrard but he needs to convert what he says into actions.

We spent way to much time fannying a around on the edge of their penalty box with zero end product which is proven by having only one shot on target. If we had converted our dominant first half performance into goals I think we would have walked the game. As it was we left ourselves vulnerable to precisely what happened; conceding yet another soft goal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Sanson must still be shagging Stevie G’s wife.   Come to think of it, Young as well.

Only one change from last week

Awful subs, one of which cost us the goal and all of which saw us going from keeping and moving the ball well (although without creating anything) to suddenly giving the ball away cheaply like the last few weeks.

We’re trying too many cute little 1-2’s in front of goal and it’s not working.  Someone needs to shoot, but it’s too congested.

And who could blame her

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

My dear old dad took me to my one and (so far) only match at Villa Park in 1974. My first experience of football. Who would have guessed that I was being set up for a life of perennial disappointment punctuated by a few moments of blinding glory? 

Oh, we lost that one, too. Thanks, Dad. 

You wouldn’t change it for anything I reckon. I certainly wouldn’t

59 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Certain players have just ended their time at villa today.

Cash, Luiz will go. Possibly Watkins and or Ings. We will spend obscene amounts of money replacing them in the summer and find ourselves overhyping the signings. To discover they mostly flatter to deceive and find ourselves no better off.

Rinse and repeat. Happy days!

The worst part is many of our supporters are celebrating some of these signings like we’ve won the league and the whole world needs to look over their shoulders, all the while gloating at fans of other teams. It’s embarrassing, especially when results don’t improve. It needs to stop. Results are the only currency in football. 

• Like 2

I still can’t quite work out the Young substitution, I don’t think Cash was injured? 
What did SG think Young was going to give us besides a slower full back that’s poorer in the air! I know Cash’s final ball is poor at times but I can’t quite grasp replacing him with Young! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Game changing moment for me.

Yeah for me as well.  When I saw Ollie coming on I thought why the hell is he taking Ings off and then I realised he was trying them together again…It was a WTF moment that proved to be correct.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

The worst part is many of our supporters are celebrating some of these signings like we’ve won the league and the whole world needs to look over their shoulders, all the while gloating at fans of other teams. It’s embarrassing, especially when results don’t improve. It needs to stop. Results are the only currency in football. 

Transfer window wankfest on twitter is seemingly more important than actually winning games.

Ignore the fact that most of these players we sign turn out to be utter shit.

Â