Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

If you think they will be knocking on your front door and having a cuppa and a digestive while explaining things to you then you are in for a long wait... nah only kidding. Totally get your point of view. It was actually Gerrard who downplayed this European ambition this summer but also said that 14th was completely unacceptable.  

Something feels very off. I was getting frustrated when the media were earlier questioning whether Gerrard had been backed properly. Like they were using it as an excuse. The problem is he really can. 

£84 mill spent and £41.5 mill recouped since he came in. 

Lots of cast offs from other teams as part of that and lots of low cost low risk loans.

If you allow for inflation and also how much bigger the tv deal is then they have been spending in a Deadly Doug type of outlay. 

And 25m rejected for a player with 9 months left on his contract

• Like 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Or rather than being the aim, top half is the minimum and anything else is unacceptable.

They said the aim was top half and bottom half is unacceptable.. Yes they would like to push for Europe and yes they would like to win cups and qualify for the CL, they will take it if we do but it was made very clear the aim this year is for top half and European qualification was not a requirement 

26 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Last night only one of our five summer transfer window signings started against Arsenal.

We turned two loan players including a bench sitting goalkeeper into permanent signings, bought in Kamara on a free transfer and bought the unfortunate Carlos who is now probably out for the season. We also bought a back up left back for the bench.

Today we've signed a CM who was surplus to his club's requirements and probably fourth choice at Wolves, and we're currently completing a loan move for an unwanted Southampton CB to act as a stop gap due to Carlos's injury. This allowed Southampton to go for a CB tonight who they believe is a definite improvement on the one that we've loaned from them.

We're 19th in the Premier League, and we are heading into a tough run of fixtures, our owners, CEO and head coach are apparently content to approximately break even in financial expenditure for the second season running rather than act at the sharp and expensive end of the transfer window.

Why were we fed the line that European football was our target this season? I would like an explanation from NSWE personally as to why we were misled.

I think Gerrard is a dead man walking and Purslow is already planning for life after Gerrard. I think he will be gone on Sunday, saving the new man the embarrassment of a Man City mauling. I reckon they are saving money for Poch to spend in January. You heard it here first 👍🏻

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Keeping Luiz is a result as long as he doesn’t sulk. I think the club hope the new manager will persuade him to sign another contract.

Maybe they’re hoping Gerrard can patch things up with Luiz. Perhaps go fishing together during the international break, have a few beers, talk about life.

Re: NSWE, I think they would probably say the squad has had continuous, heavy investment over the last few years, and at some point someone needs to start actually properly managing them.

The point of replacing Smith with Gerrard was that he was meant to be able to do that.

Notwithstanding that, gerrard was allowed good money on a left back who doesnt seem much better than the one we had, 17 mil on coutinho when the previous summer they'd spent big on buendia and bailey. He was backed with carlos and kamara, and being lucky enough to get the latter on a free doesnt make him worth less to the team.

You think if gerrard wanted another big money CM signing Purslow wouldnt have convinced the owners to sanction it? We are starting McGinn and Ramsey alongside Kamara all the time because thats what he wants.

Ultimately you need to be judging the managers backing and subsequent performance based on the players that have been made available, and Gerrard is underperforming.

Looking simply at net spend can be deceptive as huge individual sales and free transfers can skew. Like Liverpool fans claiming their success came on a shoestring budget because they managed to sell Coutinho for loads and somehow sold lots of cast offs to Bournmouth for big money, ignoring the record fees for goalkeepers and centrebacks they were spending.

Edited by andym
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Keeping Luiz is a result as long as he doesn’t sulk. I think the club hope the new manager will persuade him to sign another contract.

I can't see him sulking, if he wants out of Villa he can go free next summer or sign a pre contract for Europe in Jan. He will have a huge choice of clubs and mega money offers