Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Problem is as well that if we replace Gerrard this squad has now been limited.

If the new manager wants wingers we have 1 proper out and out winger. 

We've moulded this squad for Gerrard and he's completely **** it up. 

I was just thinking that myself although Buendia was play wing too in a 4231

They really have **** us in this last 12 months 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’m in no doubt we aren’t where the club hoped to be In terms of signings. We did great business early doors and have obviously not been able to secure the players we’ve targeted as of yet. This to me shows we won’t be messed about with on fees and wages. The calibre of player we are after and that second best is no longer the default plan b) which has been for so many years… 

I've convinced myself you know a little something, and come the end of the window we'll be satisfied! 🤞

34 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

if we don't bid for Gallagher and he moves I genuinely don't know what Gerrard thinks the answer is.  I was livid when he pulled the plug on/failed to convince Sarr but we all put that down to his lack off interest in wide forwards (after all he doesn't even play Bailey).  However if he's not then adding a good box to box midfielder of which Gallacher is probably the best available in the prem then what the hell does he think the answer is?

Buying him and getting rid of McGinn in the winter or next summers window would be good business once Gerrard is gone of course.

Just now, villan_007 said:

I've convinced myself you know a little something, and come the end of the window we'll be satisfied! 🤞

Haha nope afraid not … we are a very tight ship. I do hear snippets but nothing for a while  Villa related other than an intermediary had offered Greizman Lolz Was definite interest in Jonathan David last summer … 

what I do have is faith in the system . Yes results and performances are pretty bad right now … I trust Lange & Co to act as and when they see it fit. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Haha nope afraid not … we are a very tight ship. I do hear snippets but nothing for a while  Villa related other than an intermediary had offered Greizman Lolz Was definite interest in Jonathan David last summer … 

what I do have is faith in the system . Yes results and performances are pretty bad right now … I trust Lange & Co to act as and when they see it fit. 

Well I'll take that little bit of hope mate 👍

If Southampton want Caleta-Car because they think he's better than Bednarek, why are we not just going for Caleta-Car?

Would be cheaper and has played in the same team as Kamara so there will be some understanding there.

Signing players with PL experience, who will no doubt cost more in wages and eventual transfer fee, is not always the right thing to do.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah it started off well and Diego injury is just unlucky (not helped though by Gerrard trying to force Mings out of the club at same time though) but I genuinely thought it would be a case of getting Kamara in really early which we did and then signing a top class 8 by middle/end of July. I find it staggering we haven't done that and partly responsible for the three defeats.

We bid for Bentancur and Bissouma in January. We kept on getting linked to Kalvin Phillips so I really don't understand what's happening. Doucoure at Palace seems to have settled well and they signed him for about 15m so that's one we perhaps should've looked at more strongly.

Gerrard thought/thinks the key was just getting someone to sit at the base of a midfield 3 with Ramsey and McGinn and it will all click.

Kamara was simply next choice on the list after those 3 went elsewhere

If Gerrard wanted to further upgrade midfield he could have this summer - he was allowed to spend £25 on Digne in January which wasnt exactly a position of critical need, allowed to bring in coutinho permanently when again it wasnt a critical position to fill.

He loves Ramsey and the fact he made McGinn captain says it all - his first choice midfield is always going to have both of them in it, even though it clearly doesnt work.

• Like 1

Anyone who's hip to it knows that Dawson is good player, he might not be a fashionable name or player but does a very good job and would be more than a good enough stop gap until Carlos returns, he would probably prove handy beyond that. Also it's interesting as might suggest that Bednarek isn't so inevitable after all if we're chasing Dawson, unless we want two defenders

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

I don’t think it’s too complicated to make us better with what we have. 4-3-3 with Bailey, Watkins and Emi up front, Kamara, Dougie, and JJ or Tim behind them to provide some solidity in midfield. Go 4-2-3-1 if you want Coutinho in too and have Kamara and Dougie sitting. 

If we can add a new top class 8 then great, but we can and should be playing much better with what we have. Gerrard out.

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

I don’t think it’s too complicated to make us better with what we have. 4-3-3 with Bailey, Watkins and Emi up front, Kamara, Dougie, and JJ or Tim behind them to provide some solidity in midfield. Go 4-2-3-1 if you want Coutinho in too and have Kamara and Dougie sitting. 

If we can add a new top class 8 then great, but we can and should be playing much better with what we have. Gerrard out.

Could be worth playing Watkins Ings and Bailey as a front 3 

6 minutes ago, andym said:

Gerrard thought/thinks the key was just getting someone to sit at the base of a midfield 3 with Ramsey and McGinn and it will all click

Maybe Gerrard was just reading Villa twitter? All those thousands of tweets last season about how we only needed a DM for everything to fall into place.

12 minutes ago, andym said:

Gerrard thought/thinks the key was just getting someone to sit at the base of a midfield 3 with Ramsey and McGinn and it will all click.

Kamara was simply next choice on the list after those 3 went elsewhere

If Gerrard wanted to further upgrade midfield he could have this summer - he was allowed to spend £25 on Digne in January which wasnt exactly a position of critical need, allowed to bring in coutinho permanently when again it wasnt a critical position to fill.

He loves Ramsey and the fact he made McGinn captain says it all - his first choice midfield is always going to have both of them in it, even though it clearly doesnt work.

Surely Kamara was a long term target regardless of who we were bidding for last season? So he wouldn't have been signed if we'd signed one of the targets in January?

It's very odd thinking....Conte has it right. Added those two in addition to Hojiberg as their DM and Spurs have looked very very solid so far this season.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm fine with Craig Dawson. At least he puts his all in every game and battles for everything.

He has played almost all of the games over last two seasons at West Ham who ended in top 6/7 in last two seasons. So he's clearly a good player

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm fine with Craig Dawson. At least he puts his all in every game and battles for everything.

Decent scoring threat from corners aswell if we can actually keep the ball in play.

He's been a regular starter for team that's finished 6th and 7th in last two years so certainly a good stop gap for next 6 months.

• Like 1