Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Out of interest, who would you be considering a “top forward” outside of the obvious Roma player you like?

Genuinely interested. 

Honestly I don’t know.  I’m not one of those people that can rattle off names.  I watch a hell of a lot of football and don’t always think about players that would suit us, I just watch the games.  But when names pop up that we are interested in I may have watched them in many games so might have a memory and thus thoughts on them.  I don’t know whose out there available and would come to us either.  

A classic example was Carlos, I’ve watched him many times but if you asked me before we signed him of a quality centre back we could’ve signed I might not of thought of him but as soon as we did it made sense as I’d seen him play many times.

I think we have a striker issue, if this is a “top forward” to me that is exciting as a first step because it suggests the club thinks we should upgrade or change and they are on the case.  Obviously depending who it is that fans will have their views and compare to Watkins and Ings.

So it’s a BS rumour, I’m rubbish at identifying players we should sign but I think there is a case that we should upgrade/change a striker of ours.  If we are in for a “top forward” it’s very interesting.  

Sorry I can’t answer you question properly but I’m not very good at those type of things.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Premier League wages are handcuffing us from shifting these players...  The only clubs which can offer these players a similar salary or a raise are other Prem clubs and a handful of other top top clubs around Europe (PSG, Bayern, Barca, the Madrid clubs, & maybe a few in Italy).  If someone isn't good enough for us, chances are the ~10 clubs below us which can afford him will deem he isn't good enough for them either.  Rarely, you'll have a Targett situation, but none of those players are good enough to be regular starters in a Premier League team not battling relegation.  This is why we're taking huge losses and or doing loans with options to buy.  Going forward, we need to buy smart and only buy players who will rise in value or buy veterans knowing full well we won't be able to sell for much if it doesn't work out.

Very true. This is why players from CL clubs on the continent often are happy to join Villa, but also why we rarely can get rid of players.

49 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Let's we were swapping Matty Cash, we probably have about 7m left on our books for Matty, if we are going to use him in a direct swap we would want a player of equal value e.g. 40m. If we brought in a player of 40m value and accounted for him at 7m (Matty's book value), the inland revenue would have an issue (we would not be declaring profit) and so too would FFP as we would be buying a player for 40m but only saying to FFP that he was 7m. 

But the swap would include another £40 mill player with significantly less value on the books to the other club hence the "swap".  So both clubs would surely just value the new player at what the old one was worth on the books - with an adjustment for any salary difference and contract length.  

The inland rev wouldn't care less as they are not around to value footballers.  Do they have an issue with us paying £17 mill for a £140 mill player?

Edited by Adman
Required an edit

1 minute ago, Adman said:

But the swap would include another £40 mill player with significantly less value on the books to the other club hence the "swap".  So both clubs would surely just value the new player at one the old one was worth on the books with an adjustment for any salary difference and contract length.  

The inland rev wouldn't care less as they are not around to value footballers.  Do they have an issue with us paying £17 mill for a £140 mill player?

The other player may not have the same book value e.g. Kamara is not amortised on our accounts. The revenue would be all over it too. In the Cash example we would have a tax liability on the profit on the sale i.e. 40m -  15m = 25m profit, that is 4.75m due in tax. Phil is not a 140m player, he is a 17m player as that is what the market dictated. Do u think Barca refused a higher bid because he is mates with Gerrard? 

14 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The other player may not have the same book value e.g. Kamara is not amortised on our accounts. The revenue would be all over it too. In the Cash example we would have a tax liability on the profit on the sale i.e. 40m -  15m = 25m profit, that is 4.75m due in tax. Phil is not a 140m player, he is a 17m player as that is what the market dictated. Do u think Barca refused a higher bid because he is mates with Gerrard? 

Why would we have a tax liability on the sale of Matty Cash if he was swapped with someone of the same value?  Genuine question, does football apply a tax to individual player sale profits?  Surely an operating profit is calculated at year end on all trading as per normal business?

With regard to Kamara, we wouldnt swap a player with little or no book value. We would sign/buy them and sell Cash.

If we swapped Matty Cash with another player, he isn't "worth" £40 mill - he's "worth" what we swapped him for...?

Edited by Adman
Reason

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

All great and all but he always looks shit defensively

Was about to say, don't know much about him, but the breakdowns i've watched highlight that whilst he is a brilliant passer of the ball and playing out, he isn't so great defensively.

So what would make him so much better than Chambers?

Anyway, they know better than me.

He might almost be better as a CDM or something!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, Adman said:

Why would we have a tax liability on the sale of Matty Cash if he was swapped with someone of the same value?  Genuine question, does football apply a tax to individual player sale profits?  Surely an operating profit is calculated at year end on all trading as per normal business?

With regard to Kamara, we wouldnt swap a player with little or no book value. We would sign/buy them and sell Cash.

If we swapped Matty Cash with another player, he isn't "worth" £40 mill - he's "worth" what we swapped him for...?

As with any business we have a tax liability on the disposal of any asset. Players are considered assets, so if we buy a player for 10m and sell him for 30m we have a tax liability on the 20m profit. Yes, this is all accounted for at year end but it is tax fraud to dispose of an asset and not account for the value correctly. It is also against the law for two businesses to collude to undervalue the value of an asset to gain from the undervalued price. HMRC are all over football. They recently changed the rules on transfers so the club has now got to record certain information with regard to agent fees. Although the club pays the agent the player is liable for the taxation on this money. For example, if we buy Webster from Brighton for 50m and we pay 5m to an agent for brokering the deal, that 5m is considered money we paid Webster and Webster has a 48% tax liability on the 5m.

Home grown players and free transfers are treated differently, they are treated like capital gains tax.When we dispose of a home grown player we have an 18% tax liability to HMRC for the sale. So the Jack 100m was only worth 82m to Villa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Wouldn't be VT unless we instantly wanted to play a new signing in another position than the one they've spent their career playing at :D 

The true test of a player's ability is whether they can competently play at right back.

- Steve Bruce (maybe).

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The true test of a player's ability is whether they can competently play at right back.

-Steve Bruce (maybe)

Gareth Southgate: Have you ever tried to fit 6 Right Back's on the same pitch Steve?

Steve Bruce: "Err, I tend to test a players....."

Gareth: 

YARN | - No. - So then you haven't seen everything. | Team America: World  Police (2004) | Video gifs by quotes | 3256cc19 | 紗

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Emil Forsberg from Leipzig the latest name being touted by Blid … Don’t know anything  about him 

Been doing decently in the national team. As a side note, I think his agent is an old class mate of mine. 😅