Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I remember this, I didnt think they counted as media experts

Hopefully they know something we dont :D 

Alan ( The Villa fan ) also called into TalkSport and said we would finish 4th above Chelsea... So 🤷🏾‍♂️

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alan ( The Villa fan ) also called into TalkSport and said we would finish 4th above Chelsea... So 🤷🏾‍♂️

The 'super computer' has us finishing 7th. I can live with anywhere between 4th and 7th :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He also said Liverpool or City wouldn't win the league and us and West Ham will get top 6

Not saying he isn't credible😂😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Nope. You need to work on your pedantry.

I disagree, There is nothing wrong with highlighting something that is clearly incorrect. As I said, there is a difference between linguistics and context. As for pedantry, the wording changes the meaning, hardly minor!

19 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Outside of the elite of the elite strikers, there's just a shortage of good to great strikers out there. Outside of Tottenham, every PL team could use an upgrade at the position (and even then, they signed Richarlson for 50m).

• Arsenal signed Gabby Jesus
  • We could upgrade Ings/Watkins
  • Brentford could be needing a Tony replacement, and signed KLP
  • Bournemouth are testing out the old Dom Solanke PL experiment again
  • Brighton are apparently using their striker who was the Belgian league golden boot winner last year
  • Chelsea loaned Lukaku back and don't really have a replacement
  • Crystal Palace have a collection of strikers who are useful but aren't a starting 9 PL quality day on day
  • Everton - lost Richarlson and DCL gets injured a lot. 
  • Fulham - relying on Mitrovic yet again after 5 pl goals last time around
  • Leeds - Bamford needs to be healthy, and yet he's not top PL quality
  • Leicester - probably have the best group of strikers in the PL outside of Spurs, but Vardy is getting older and more injury prone
  • Liverpool & Man City both spent big on a "elite" striker this summer
  • Manchester United, who knows what happens with Ronaldo but they clearly have almost no depth up top after the events of the past year. 
  • Newcastle linked with Werner
  • Nottingham Forest -- can't say with any confidence 
  • Southampton -- signed Sekou, young player with potential but unproven again
  • West Ham- big money on Scamacca, only one prolific season in his career so far. 
  • Wolves-- no clue what they are doing with Jimenez looking a shadow of his former self after the nasty injury. Not convinced at all by Hwang Hee-chan

I am not saying I don't want an upgrade on Ings/Watkins, but just setting the discourse for how empty the market is for those top-level strikers at the moment. 

We kinda upgraded our strike force today by confirming that Archer will be staying and will be part of the first team squad :)

But yes, I agree with your post

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

Gerrard/Villa have more pull in the transfer market than Newcastle does.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I would say the Villa/Newcastle pull is fairly similar at the moment. If you had to put one ahead, it would probably be us yes. Gerrard 100% helps in that regard. 

I don't know about that...Gerrard may have more pull than Howe, but everyone in the game knows that Newcastle now have near-unlimited money, and I can see players thinking that they are about to join Chelsea and Man City and PSG in the nouveau riche oil club league. We may have the fourth wealthiest owners in the PL, but it's a long jump to the oil money clubs and NSWE don't seem to be the types to flaunt their wealth in public, either.

On the other hand, when we hear recruits talking about how impressive the club's plans are, maybe NSWE flaunt their wealth in private.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I remember this, I didnt think they counted as media experts

Hopefully they know something we dont :D 

They predict us that highly mostly because of our transfermarkt squad value. No, seriously they literally use them in their calculations.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/marktwerteverein/wettbewerb/GB1

We're 8th place here and there's a 100 million euro difference between us and next lowest West Ham in terms of squad value. 

The team above us in squad value is Leicester but they have a near identical squad value to us and actually performed worse than us last season in certain important metrics beyond just points gained which 538 looks at as more important. That's why we're predicted higher than them as well. Hence 7th.

The specifics on how they make their calculation isn't known, but with the data available to us, it's easy to see why they have certain predictions.

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

They predict us that highly mostly because of our transfermarkt squad value. No, seriously they literally use them in their calculations.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/marktwerteverein/wettbewerb/GB1

We're 8th place here and there's a 100 million euro difference between us and next lowest West Ham in terms of squad value. 

The team above us in squad value is Leicester but they have a near identical squad value to us and actually performed worse than us last season in certain important metrics beyond just points gained which 538 looks at as more important. That's why we're predicted higher than them as well. Hence 7th.

The specifics on how they make their calculation isn't known, but with the data available to us, it's easy to see why they have certain predictions.

Historically, wage bill has been the most accurate "value" metric to base predictions on. It's that still the case?

The fact they've got us in a different position from our squad value tells us they don't just use that (if at all) so how can you claim its mostly because of our squad value?

Which in any case, would be a pretty decent indicator.

Other than the 538 prediction I've not even seen another prediction that isn't from a fan.

On topic,  still think we'll make one more signing this window. Not sure it will be before the first game though.

I can see us struggling with our formation early on,  and Gerrard blaming it on whichever of the midfield 3 he's playing alongside McGinn and Kamara,  and going out to replace that supposed weak link.

Kinda hope I'm wrong and we hit the ground flying, and decide we don't need anyone else, rather than going after our 3rd/4th choice signings. Of course, if Sangare is still available and he was always our first choice I wouldn't complain. 

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not sure I have seen any media predict us yet for top ten this season

Guardian has predicted us to finish 10th - it's the average of all their writers' predictions. I reckon we'll not be too far away from that.

9 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Outside of the elite of the elite strikers, there's just a shortage of good to great strikers out there. Outside of Tottenham, every PL team could use an upgrade at the position (and even then, they signed Richarlson for 50m).

• Arsenal signed Gabby Jesus
  • We could upgrade Ings/Watkins
  • Brentford could be needing a Tony replacement, and signed KLP
  • Bournemouth are testing out the old Dom Solanke PL experiment again
  • Brighton are apparently using their striker who was the Belgian league golden boot winner last year
  • Chelsea loaned Lukaku back and don't really have a replacement
  • Crystal Palace have a collection of strikers who are useful but aren't a starting 9 PL quality day on day
  • Everton - lost Richarlson and DCL gets injured a lot. 
  • Fulham - relying on Mitrovic yet again after 5 pl goals last time around
  • Leeds - Bamford needs to be healthy, and yet he's not top PL quality
  • Leicester - probably have the best group of strikers in the PL outside of Spurs, but Vardy is getting older and more injury prone
  • Liverpool & Man City both spent big on a "elite" striker this summer
  • Manchester United, who knows what happens with Ronaldo but they clearly have almost no depth up top after the events of the past year. 
  • Newcastle linked with Werner
  • Nottingham Forest -- can't say with any confidence 
  • Southampton -- signed Sekou, young player with potential but unproven again
  • West Ham- big money on Scamacca, only one prolific season in his career so far. 
  • Wolves-- no clue what they are doing with Jimenez looking a shadow of his former self after the nasty injury. Not convinced at all by Hwang Hee-chan

I am not saying I don't want an upgrade on Ings/Watkins, but just setting the discourse for how empty the market is for those top-level strikers at the moment. 

Good post . Forest have signed Taiwo Awoniyi who has never played in the league before but has better odds of being top goalscorer than both Watkins and Ings!

45 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Historically, wage bill has been the most accurate "value" metric to base predictions on. It's that still the case?

The fact they've got us in a different position from our squad value tells us they don't just use that (if at all) so how can you claim its mostly because of our squad value?

Which in any case, would be a pretty decent indicator.

Other than the 538 prediction I've not even seen another prediction that isn't from a fan.

The problem with looking at wages for a prediction is that no one really knows what they are until the official accounts get released 6+ months after the season has finished. So at the moment the official wage figures won’t include any of last seasons signings, or from this summer. Considering the number of big money signings we’ve made in the last 12 months with only one high earner leaving (Grealish) our wages will have skyrocketed. Does anyone actually know where our current estimated wage bill sits in comparison to the rest of the league?

Edited by david-avfc