Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

From a slightly different angle @Tomaszk @nick76, as we are in the transfer thread.

If we don't start climbing trees sharpish, only a matter of time before the big clubs come in for the likes of EMI and Kamara ( If he lives up to early promise )

So from that perspective, yeah we don't have so much time to be dossing around in the PL.

Yep we need more quality to climb those trees thus buying better players.  I don’t think we are good enough yet but I understand why @Tomaszkthinks we are.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Not having it sorry.

We got 55 with loads of guys now being deemed not good enough. Nine players played more mins than Grealish that season.

McGinn, Targett, Bertie T, Mings, Konsa, Doug played basically every game.

Barkley, El Ghazi and Trezeguet all made over 20 PL apps.

How would Gerrard get on with that lot? He's had ridiculously strong backing and I think 55 points is the bare minimum if he gets another player coming in on £100k a week.

Bingo! Then list who has gone and joined since it is laughable not to be able to get 5 more points.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely no doubt we can push Man Utd and Arsenal all the way. As can West Ham, Brighton, Leicester. They are far from the secure in their "top six" status.

City and Liverpool obviously miles ahead of us, Spurs will be the ones closest to them this season. Chelsea are the fourth best, but are losing some key men, wouldn't be surprised if they missed out on Champions League.

Just look at Arsenal's XI (with no Ghana players in their midfield) and see who you'd swap for our team. There isn't many at all, same with Utd; and they both have Europa League to content with.

Arsenal have got some very good players in this window.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The Sangare hype train reminds of the summer before we signed Darren Bent. Everyone was mentioning him, saying how he was a great goalscorer which was exactly what we lacked. But when we got him, we found out his workrate and link up play was trash. His finishing was good, but not great, then he got injured came back fat and was never the same again.

All those youtube highlights of Sangare on the ball he has the time to take 2 or 3 touches to get the ball under control. You don't get that time in the prem. I can see an expensive flop for any prem team that signs him. He would do better in Italy or Spain.

Initial thoughts, that's a bit harsh.

First two seasons Bent had a strike rate of nearly one goal for every two games played. He, Ashley Young and Downing were all England internationals, even being explored as potential starters together if memory serves. 

Not really sure I see the parallels.

One is a 24 year old prospect making moves in the Eredevisie, the other was a well established striker who proved himself at Tottenham and Sunderland before getting a big money move. 

Edited by A'Villan

We need to beat back the likes of Wolves, Brighton, Palace, Leicester and Newcastle.  

Another summer of recruitment and then set our sights on West Ham.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We need to beat back the likes of Wolves, Brighton, Palace, Leicester and Newcastle.  

Another summer of recruitment and then set our sights on West Ham.

We already have a better squad than West Ham, we just need to squeeze more out of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

De Tomas is an intriguing one…

Has outperformed his XG. Is he a genuine upgrade on what we have??

I’d love for us to have a skilful striker who is deadly and fast enough to get onto through balls and be clinical in one on one’s… 

I just feel like we need to sell a CF before getting a new one… especially if playing with a single one in the side and it won’t be easy to keep them all happy… we’re not in Europe or extra competitions… Ollie and Danny are both on a hefty wage too… we have to manage our wage budget/structure along with the transfer one… hopefully we can get a decent fee for Davis but  no signs of any interest yet… could Archer make an impact for us?

I’ve been a big fan of Ollie’s ever since he joined but a fully fit and firing Ings would be the more “clinical option”, he often looked slow and sluggish last season but if he can overcome that, he can be a reliable source of goals… plus I really want both Buendia and Coutinho in the side…

Ollie seems a nailed on starter though… hopefully he can be better… last season wasn’t great for most if not all of our players, they can all do/be much better… 

Looking like we’ll stick with the strikers we have for now and try to get the best out of them, not a disaster or huge negative by any means… midfield is the priority and allowing our attackers more freedom to express themselves…

These guys did a decent vid on RDT, seem to know their stuff:

Him and Sangare would do nicely, thank you.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Worse for me was how our performances massively dropped off after that mini break end of January.

Even if results were indifferent there were generally some good performances in Gerrard's two months.

That Leeds game set the tone....15 minutes of brilliant football to go 3-1 up and dross either side of that and that pretty much was how the last three months played out.

We just need a good start to settle everyone down...looking for 10 points by end of August games which should be realistic target.

Well without going over old ground for me Gerrard has recruited well but he is way out of his depth managerial wise and McAllister is a complete clown

Hoping Critchley is an upgrade