Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I don't disagree, the spending of the top 6 really is off the scale at the moment. Even Spurs throwing money around like there's no tomorrow, God knows where they're getting their money from, Levy is usually extremely tight fisted. 

I do think the longer we go without getting into Europe the harder it will be though, purely because Newcastle are now a serious threat. 

We assume they are a serious threat because of their owners but they haven't been spending more than we have.

50 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Do we still need another midfielder at 8 if Luiz stays ? Still clinging into my unrealistic hope we get Otavio & Nunes to complete the midfield 

Depends on Sanson and Carney. If we have:

Ramsey (Carney).   McGinn (Luiz)

Kamara (Iroegbunam)

I'd suggest we don't *need* another. Especially with Sanson as cover too. 

But if neither Luiz or Carney sign a contract and we don't sell Sanson, then it's likely that's 3 midfielders we will lose next summer and 3 we need to find. Buying an additional now, giving them a year to bed in with the current squad but not being desperate for them to come good would be ideal.

Almost like how Eddie Howe treated Guimares, clearly an important player but was really allowed to grow into it.

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Kamara (Iroegbunam)

But if neither Luiz or Carney sign a contract and we don't sell Sanson, then it's likely that's 3 midfielders we will lose next summer and 3 we need to find. Buying an additional now, giving them a year to bed in with the current squad but not being desperate for them to come good would be ideal.

Almost like how Eddie Howe treated Guimares, clearly an important player but was really allowed to grow into it.

if McGinn is starting in a midfield 3 this season, it will be the start of the whole DM saga again, but for a no.8 slot.

Ramsey & Kamara yes, the third midfield slot needs a marquee signing imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We assume they are a serious threat because of their owners but they haven't been spending more than we have.

This is a fair point. If they had bought Coutinho, Kamara, Carlos and Digne everyone would be talking about their top signings due to the new owners. 

It doesn’t seem to get that much acknowledgement from our own fans.

Not sure how other fans talk about us. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is a fair point. If they had bought Coutinho, Kamara, Carlos and Digne everyone would be talking about their top signings due to the new owners. 

It doesn’t seem to get that much acknowledgement from our own fans.

Not sure how other fans talk about us. 

It is just us really (maybe some Newcastle and for whatever reason a few Arsenal fans that can't keep our names out their mouths). When I speak to people at work, some friends and randoms they seem to think we are the club that is heading in the right direction and really rate our business so far. Whereas some Villa fans think NSWE have cut the card in half and that we are completely done lol.

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Chris Wood ...     Phil Coutinho

Sven Botman.....Diego Carlos

Matty Targett ....Lucas Digne

Bruno Guimares.... Boubacar Kamara

Dan Burn..... Calum Chambers

Whichever way you look at it we have bought more quality overall. At my most pessimistic we have bought equally as well as the headchoppers bearing in mind ages as well. 

Agreed. I ain’t complaining….yet ;)

26 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Kamara (Iroegbunam)

That midfield needs another player.

18 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Whichever way you look at it we have bought more quality overall. At my most pessimistic we have bought equally as well as the headchoppers bearing in mind ages as well. 

Newcastle are just riding the momentum and feel good factor

Villa fans being villa fans are seemingly trying their hardest to put ours in the bin and be miserable like always

51 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Are you a closet Brentford fan?

He will be starting games there. He won't be an understudy to an established player, certainly not for 3 years. Brentford finished above us last season. All of these things are true. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Our squad before these additions was better as well. They're having to replace Ciaran Clark, Lascelles, Lewis, Shelvey etc. We should be quite a bit ahead of them.

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

That midfield needs another player.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah but mcginn works hard bruv.

very hard.

The quality of the midfield needs improving.

But 7 players for midfield, 8 as I forgot Nakamba is plenty. 

3 DMs, 5 CMs, is enough for a Premier League campaign and 2 non-Europe cups. Particularly until January.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

The quality of the midfield needs improving.

But 7 players for midfield, 8 as I forgot Nakamba is plenty. 

3 DMs, 5 CMs, is enough for a Premier League campaign and 2 non-Europe cups. Particularly until January.

ye i agree we need to sell/offload/loan a few.

But the midfield starting 3, would still benefit massively from a marquee signing, was my point.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Our squad before these additions was better as well. They're having to replace Ciaran Clark, Lascelles, Lewis, Shelvey etc. We should be quite a bit ahead of them.

Their form was ridiculous to make their way out of the relegation positions. My view is that if we can get our key players performing to near their max then we can put big runs together as well. Our squad isnt broken. Isn't really lopsided either. Just hasnt fully gelled yet. Of course i would love a Holjberg or Gallagher to add to the midfield but if not then we still have a decent stock of midfielders to choose from 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

What is converting regularly though? 

We've never had a player score 20 goals in the PL

Ollie has 14 and 11 in 2 seasons, Benteke had 19, 10, 13, Carew had 13, 11, 10, I probably don't need to do gabby... Angel had 1, 12, 1, 16, 7, 3, 4 even Yorke had 11, 6, 6, 17, 17, 12

Give him 3 more full seasons here and he'll have more PL goals than Gabby 

Sure but come on, Gabby should not be a benchmark for a quality striker. The guy had 2 maybe 3 seasons of promise, but ultimately turned into a very poor player. He's only heralded as some kind of 'legend' because of his goals against the Noses. And Ollie would still need to score around 50 goals in 3 seasons to better his record which I don't see happening. 

Benteke is more of a benchmark and probably would have scored 20 at least once for us if: a) he wasn't playing in a poor team that was battling relegation every year; and b) didn't have his injuries in his 2nd and 3rd seasons with us. He scored 42 PL goals in 89 games so practically 1 in 2. Watkins is about 1 in 3 in a better team. 

Yorke's stats are blighted by a couple of things: 1) he started as a right winger for us and only moved to striker in 95/96; and 2) he usually played in a two up front with either Savo or later Collymore. He scored 46 PL goals in 103 games for us playing as a striker which again is practically 1 in 2. 

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Watkins as we haven't exactly had world beating strikers over the years, but there were some who said he could become like a Vardy for us. I just don't see him ever being that reliable at all if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Maybe you need a dose of reality? It isn't four years ago, and we have spent £400,000,000 since then.

And if we were the only club spending money, the raw figure would matter more. What's our spend in relation to the teams we're trying to catch? If we'd spent £400 million and the teams we're chasing had spent only £20 million, it'd be a different story. But other teams spend money too!

Either way, thanks for letting me know it's no longer 2018.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Eriksen to Manure confirmed.

Doesn't get near our starting 11 with coutinho and buendia playing in similar positions, nice to see teams above us signing players we can say that about 

• Like 1