Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Pretty recent then. His wife probably wears it round the house or to sleep in. Comfort clothes you have for years and never want to throw away.

Well she wouldn’t do it with the current training gear, it’s too expensive to wear as comfort gear for around the house, it’s at the prices of red carpet events 😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

I saw an opinion yesterday that I agreed with, so I went digging for some stats. 

I'll preface this by saying this is about as relevant as xG is as a "stat", because it looks at some actual stats and draws conclusions without considering a bunch of other relevant factors. Regardless, I thought it was interesting, as it went way against what I previously believed. 

I want us to play with Buendia and Coutinho behind Watkins, so I looked at games Villa started with all combinations of Buendia, Coutinho, Watkins and Ings to see which was most successful - thinking we were much better with both. 

I was surprised to find that we were most successful with NEITHER Buendia or Coutinho starting.

We played 6 games where neither started, and won 3, so 1.5 points per game - the best 2 combinations we had (Watkins solo and Watkins/Ings).

We also played 6 with both starting, and won 1, drew 1, lost 4 - so 0.66 points per game - worst (Ings, Buendia, Coutinho) and 3rd worst (Watkins, Buendia, Coutinho).

Even more interesting, the 6 games we played with neither were on paper far tougher than the 6 with both. 

Every other combination of the 4 players were in between those extremes, and getting into the details there shows how arbitrary these stats are (STILL GIGAWATTS MORE RELEVANT THAN xG). 

Anyway, I still want us to play both Buendia and Coutinho, so my biased opinion is that if we're going to play two lightweight guys like that, we need to add some more physicality in midfield to balance it out.

That's why I don't see the benefit of another skillful whippet like Otavio, when the midfield is already too lightweight. I don't see the benefit if a guy like JWP, who I think is basically in the same tier/style of player as Luiz, Sanson and is at very, very best insignificantly better. He's definitely not going to beef up the midfield. I don't want a Conor Gallagher, even though he and JWP are unboubtedly very good players. I want a big, strong, fast, technical guy, who's good in the air and scores goals. Is that too much to ask for? 

Also, if we're going for a fancy pants guy, Lucas Paqueta > Otavio. 

I agree, those players you mentioned we are linked with are good in there own right but we need a powerhouse in midfield.  Bissouma would have been perfect.

Also you might think Paqueta is better than Otavio but he would cost probably double.

Edited by duke313

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In some ways it would be nice if Veretout returned. We were a shambles of a club when he joined and are worlds apart from that now.  Could make right his whole nightmare experience with the club. 

huge upgrade on McGinn 😜  

• Haha 1

Just now, duke313 said:

I agree, those players you mentioned we are linked with are good in there own right but we need a powerhouse in midfield.  Bissouma would have been perfect.

Also you might think Paquea is better than Otavio but he would cost probably double.

Bissouma’s a prick. Glad it didn’t happen. 

Agree we need more power in the middle though. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well she wouldn’t do it with the current training gear, it’s too expensive to wear as comfort gear for around the house, it’s at the prices of red carpet events 😂

"Who are you wearing?"

"Castore darling!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John said:

& wearing a Villa top too...;)

It's like Pique. Who the f**k cheats on Shakira? I can't even understand it. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Otavio would be a good signing, he's a CL quality player.  But we still need a more defensive minded CM.

Champions league quality player with 7 international caps at age 27 😂

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

We should get Lingard instead

And FWIW he's been eligible for Portugal since March 21, getting 7 caps in their stacked midfield is good going

Edited by villa4europe

6 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Those caps have all come in the last 12 months and he played in all the recent Nation League games. He has now broken into the Portugal team as a regular,so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his quality. 

I wonder what you think about Diego Carlos, who had no proper caps at the age of 29.

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

On a serious note he only become eligible to play for Portugal last year. So 7 caps since then  ain’t so bad. 

As for no caps for Brazil. Many a decent Brazilian player could say the same. They just have a ridiculous amount of talent. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On a serious note he only become eligible to play for Portugal last year. So 7 caps since then  ain’t so bad. 

As for no caps for Brazil. Many a decent Brazilian player could say the same. They just have a ridiculous amount of talent. 

Brazil are baffling. Several quality players with no international caps, but Wesley has one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can you please leave? Your facts are not welcome here.

On your second point - Deco, Diego Costa, Jorginho are all pretty decent players that never got a look in for Brazil.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Brazil are baffling. Several quality players with no international caps, but Wesley has one!

Yeh that call up was pretty bizarre. 

I remember the year of the World Cup in Brazil. That same season the best defence in Europe had 2 Brazilians in the back 4. Neither of them got called up. International teams just can’t get the top managers. 

https://www.abola.pt/Clubes/2022-06-30/fc-porto-aston-villa-prepara-oferta-por-otavio-saiba-o-valor/947442/42 - Portuguese Article published an hour ago by A Bola. Although seems to be simply reporting on the "gossip".

DeepL Translation:

Otávio continues to make people talk, even though he is the last player Sérgio Conceição agrees to lose. The Premier League's harassment seems to be really strong, but the numbers may still be far from approaching the portistas' expectations.

The 27-year-old Portuguese international, one of the most influential elements of the double in 2021/2022 and in the pipeline to fit into the squad for the Qatar World Cup, is whetting the appetite of Steven Gerrard, the former Liverpool star who now, as manager of Aston Villa, wants to calibrate the Birmingham team's aim to win titles.

According to reports circulating in recent hours, the Villans have outlined their plan to try and land Otávio and are willing to offer €30 million plus €5 million involved in match variables.

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Can you please leave? Your facts are not welcome here.

On your second point - Deco, Diego Costa, Jorginho are all pretty decent players that never got a look in for Brazil.

Deco is a good comparison to Otavio, he made his Portugal debut at the age of 26, you certainly wouldn't say he's not CL quality.

• Like 1