Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think part of the problem with trying to sign Hickey is that he probably doesn't want to be challenging for his place. Yes he would be a nice addition but our Polish goal scorer and Digne will be first choice FBs imo and it will be tough to displace them

and why pay £18m for a 20 year old who isn’t going to develop whilst they’re sat on the bench for several seasons, or indeed why pay £18m for a back up left back at all

A Spanish journo on Le Twit says Suarez to Villa is still possible. 

I think if it was going to happen it would have by now.

We really missed a trick with Alvarez. 

It will pain me to watch him tear it up with Man City. It will also pain me if he just rots on the bench there.

Imagine him up top for Villa...

The mystery striker is just that. Who the **** knows?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There is a bigger picture at play here, and why wouldn't he " develop ".

It would be more " rotation " than backup IMO. Plus training, playing and observing at a higher level from better players.

I always have to repeat, how do the top clubs constantly do this?

The fear of having strong competetion all over the pitch because they " might not start " is still bizarre to me.

I'd rather have the luxury of having very good players in the squad who might be " frustrated " than having Salifou as back up.

It's frustrating not seeing Sanson get minutes, or Buendia on the bench sometimes, but I tell you what?

I'd much rather have that luxury, than to see them starting at a PL rival, and having a massive dropoff in quality on the bench.

It's also been noted multiple times that the kid can cover more than one position so that alone boosts his chances, and value.

You could do this, or wait for them to go to a rival instead and watch their value triple.

This is also future proofing to a certain extent IMO.

People say this but like, we don't really rotate much do we? Vast majority of the time, it feels like we just play whatever our best 11 is at the time.

Rotation is more of a thing for the clubs competing in Europe. For the likes us, we rarely rotate, especially if we get knocked out of the cups early.

45 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Brennan Johnson anyone? Every time I see him for Forest or Wales, he just looks a cut above. I understand that other clubs will be in for him but for a 21 year old, he looks class

I like him but where would he fit for us?  In the middle attack behind the 9 we already have Coutinho and Buendia and we are struggling to fit both in and then as a winger, well we don’t play with wingers and if we did we have the likes of Bailey and Traore already.  I like the kid but we are overloaded in the positions he mostly plays so I’d rather a straight out No.9.  Good shout though just bad timing for the squad!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I like him but where would he fit for us?  In the middle attack behind the 9 we already have Coutinho and Buendia and we are struggling to fit both in and then as a winger, well we don’t play with wingers and if we did we have the likes of Bailey and Traore already.  I like the kid but we are overloaded in the positions he mostly plays so I’d rather a straight out No.9.  Good shout though just bad timing for the squad!

I see what you mean and I think you are correct, it was just a suggestion and he looks a cut above to me

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’d be very grateful if the Oxlade-Chamberlain rumours would sod off. Not even better than what we can already muster on the bench and hopefully just a lazy SG-Liverpool link.

I don't think he has ever played more than 1500/1600 minutes in the league ever if memory serves I heard that once.

8 hours ago, david-avfc said:

and why pay £18m for a 20 year old who isn’t going to develop whilst they’re sat on the bench for several seasons, or indeed why pay £18m for a back up left back at all

Not going to develop as fast is a better way of saying it.

18m isn't a lot for a squad player these days.

32 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I see what you mean and I think you are correct, it was just a suggestion and he looks a cut above to me

I agree completely and a great suggestion.  Maybe we’ll ship out the likes of Bailey and Traore and then he would be an alternate to then buy.  I guess it depends on who leaves who we then bring in.  We have to have a squad and alternatives but some areas are bloated in our squad but I, like you, like Johnson.

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

We really missed a trick with Alvarez

I think we tried our best to sign him. Emi said he tried to persuade him personally. Think he always had his sights set on bigger things.

• Like 1