Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

That Percy article doesn’t really add much to what we’ve heard before. 

Oh, and we need two midfielders above all else. If we don’t buy two central midfielders this Summer, you can kiss goodbye to a top 8 finish next season. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

That Percy article doesn’t really add much to what we’ve heard before. 

Oh, and we need two midfielders above all else. If we don’t buy two central midfielders this Summer, you can kiss goodbye to a top 8 finish next season. 

The one bit of insight is his office is next to the scouting department. If that's even true.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

The one bit of insight is his office is next to the scouting department. If that's even true.

Ha, yes.

Talk of a new left back, striker and centre half won’t excite me until someone comes out and says we’re signing two central midfielders this Summer. 

I actually wouldn’t care if we only signed Two defensive midfielders. I just want us to sort the midfield out. McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba can’t be starting many games for us next season. 

• Like 2

Interesting that Konsa may be fit for Pre season now. Sounds like his knee injury might not need surgery? Also Gomes signing new deal with Liverpool means other CB option needed. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s an insight into VT speculation and an amalgamation of previous reports. Not sure it’s based on anything fed from the club.

percy does get things from the club though. you can generally take what he says as valid

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting that Konsa may be fit for Pre season now. Sounds like his knee injury might not need surgery? Also Gomes signing new deal with Liverpool means other CB option needed. 

Thought he is an Everton player:P

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im ok with all those players leaving although i reckon sanson should be kept on. Clearly gerrard doesnt rate him. No mention of chuk. If he wont sign we should cash in on him

No mention of Luiz. I assume we sign another 8 if he leaves. 

Whenever Gerrard is portrayed in his managerial role his focus is always on recruiting. It seemed to be much the same at Rangers, mostly about him building a squad and being frustrated the club couldn’t do enough.

If he’s good at this (let’s assume he is), maybe his career choice should have been Director of Football instead of coach? It seems to me he’s more into those aspects of improving a club, rather than working with player development.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Whenever Gerrard is portrayed in his managerial role his focus is always on recruiting. It seemed to be much the same at Rangers, mostly about him building a squad and being frustrated the club couldn’t do enough.

If he’s good at this (let’s assume he is), maybe his career choice should have been Director of Football instead of coach? It seems to me he’s more into those aspects of improving a club, rather than working with player development.

This is probably the the most ridiculous nonsense I've read on this site in weeks.

So managers shouldn't be allowed sing players to take the club forward? Klopp signed his entire team to get them to win things. Guardiola has done this twice. Smith over course of 2 seasons signed 15+ players. 

But no, Gerrard wants some new players and no he needs to be a Director of Football. Seriously, what utter utter nonsense. Complete utter nonsense

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This is probably the the most ridiculous nonsense I've read on this site in weeks.

So managers shouldn't be allowed sing players to take the club forward? Klopp signed his entire team to get them to win things. Guardiola has done this twice. Smith over course of 2 seasons signed 15+ players. 

But no, Gerrard wants some new players and no he needs to be a Director of Football. Seriously, what utter utter nonsense. Complete utter nonsense

Gerrard isn't Klopp or Pep so comparisons like these are silly. Both of those men had proven records. They also don't scout the players - Liverpool especially have an incredible transfer team.

Gerrard just seems to talk about it a lot, more than usual. Maybe he's being asked more than previous managers. Loads of pressure on next season, which he seems to invite, so that's a good thing.

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Director of Football is a very important role, where being well connected is key. Can’t see why becoming manager/coach should be the only alternative for ex-players.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

What they need to decide this summer is how much they want to gamble on someone like Kamara or [insert random foreign league player]. They're an unknown in this league and we've been burned by that before. Someone like Phillips or Bissouma will undoubtedly cost more but is definitely the safe option.

It's a key position for us and I think that it'll make us a much more balanced team. It'll get more out of Mcginn and Luiz as they won't get shoehorned into a position that doesn't suit them.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes we do?

I was being sarcastic. Kalvin Philips would definitely be on the shortlist should he be available at the right price. He has the right attributes, is an England regular and would be a significant upgrade on what we have. 

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I was being sarcastic. Kalvin Philips would definitely be on the shortlist should he be available at the right price. He has the right attributes, is an England regular and would be a significant upgrade on what we have. 

Price important yep.

Getting someone who isn't injury prone would be welcome.

Getting someone who we can pay less than £150k a week would be welcome.

Getting someone who has put together a decent run of form longer than two months in a top league would be welcome.

He's a good player. I don't believe Kalvin Phillips would be the choice of the scouting team for a holding player. Just like they wouldn't have offered up Coutinho for an attacking midfielder or Digne for a left back.