Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, 7392craig said:

I can’t see more than 2-3 first teamers coming, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of back ups also.

Depends if we sell one or two players on the bubble.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Interested to see how Tarkowski performs in a team that isn't sitting back in their own box and where he's expected to do more than just clear the ball.

Maybe he can adjust, not sure I want us to give him a big contract to find out thou.

West Ham bid £31m for him in Sept 2020 which was rejected as Burnley wanted closer to £50mil. So to get him on a free 20 months later looks a good bit of business. Newcastle though will get him as he'd be guaranteed starter for them and paid more than us probably

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

West Ham bid £31m for him in Sept 2020 which was rejected as Burnley wanted closer to £50mil. So to get him on a free 20 months later looks a good bit of business. Newcastle though will get him as he'd be guaranteed starter for them and paid more than us probably

Yeah depends on how he performs. Might be great value, might not be.

As I said, remains to see how he looks in a system and team that's not so deep and defensive.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Tarkowski is better than any CB we have.

Pretty much and loves defending.

Furthermore anyone saying he can’t pass didn’t watch the game last night.

• Like 1

Interesting read about Tarkowski from last season when Burnley were doing better than this season

Player Analysis: James Tarkowski — England’s most overlooked defender | by Chun Hang | Medium

I don't buy the argument that the low passing completed % is due to Burnley style of lay where Pope plays balls long from the back. Surely your pass completion % is mostly down to you and a little bit down to the player you pass to. Maybe the passes he does attempt are under pressure? as he'd only get the ball after a defensive action

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Pretty much this.  I'm not even massively sure we need a "DM", but someone a bit more physical/destructive in the middle of the park would be good.

Definitely need to sign a centre back or two, though.

Think you’ll be surprised how many come in particularly in midfield. I can see Gerrard buying two DMs one being Bissouma and Kamara if it’s still possible to get him? I also see strong interest in Tarkowski plus cover in the FB positions. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see a more clinical forward coming in as well. 

The spine of the side will be improved if you listen closely to what Gerrard is saying.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Depends if we sell one or two players on the bubble.

IMO it would be suicide to add more than 3 first teamers this summer. We've got some great young players coming through too, what we need is some consistent steady building on top of what we have. When we're good, we are really very good, what we need now are a few players in key positions that improve us and do not require big changes to how we play to accomodate. This summer is huge, the recruitment needs to be bang on, Gerrard and Beale have probably cut their budget with our league place but big money will be spent. I woudl like to think we already know who we're after and it will be the results of some serious work making sure they are going to be the right players. 

Obviously we might not get all our first choices but for me if we sign a half dozen players then next season is transition, again. That would mean we've really stalled.

• Like 3

On 25/01/2022 at 15:11, useless said:

If someone had have told me at the start of the transfer window that we were going to try and sign Bentancur I wouldn't have believed it possible, if he'd have been linked to any Premier League side other than one of the traditional 'top six' I would have doubted it. If he signs he will be our best midfielder, and one of our very best players, probably the biggest signing in terms of profile and potential of the last ten years other than Coutinho.

Another signing if it happens that will help us to attract other top players.

This reminds me of when we tried to sign Bentancur, we haven't really been linked to another midfielder like him since, but if we lose Luiz then I think it's something that could happen, in addition to signing a more traditional DM.

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Not everybody wants to live in **** Northumberland. Newcasbah are about to find that out the hard way this summer while trying to throw mad money around at players who might increase their stature.

If we're looking for a RCB who feels comfortable with the ball, or we're just desperate to buy somebody from Torino that isn't Andrea Belotti, this is the guy we should go after. Gleison Bremer. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

If we're looking for a RCB who feels comfortable with the ball, or we're just desperate to buy somebody from Torino that isn't Andrea Belotti, this is the guy we should go after. Gleison Bremer. 

I suggested him a few months back but I have seen media reports of him being 40m...... I don't think I would spend more on him than what Sven Botman will move for.

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Not everybody wants to live in **** Northumberland. Newcasbah are about to find that out the hard way this summer while trying to throw mad money around at players who might increase their stature.

I can see Newcastle buying an extra Gulfstream to fly London based players in and out of training daily.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting read about Tarkowski from last season when Burnley were doing better than this season

Player Analysis: James Tarkowski — England’s most overlooked defender | by Chun Hang | Medium

I don't buy the argument that the low passing completed % is due to Burnley style of lay where Pope plays balls long from the back. Surely your pass completion % is mostly down to you and a little bit down to the player you pass to. Maybe the passes he does attempt are under pressure? as he'd only get the ball after a defensive action

Playing out from the back is a bit like stat padding for centre-backs, lots of very easy passes. Not doing that would make Tarkowski’s pass completion lower, like you said a higher share would be made shortly after winning the ball back.

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I suggested him a few months back but I have seen media reports of him being 40m...... I don't think I would spend more on him than what Sven Botman will move for.

we have zero chance of signing Botman and either do Newcastle

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know nothing about some of these people.

You seem to have knowledge of Serie A though, what's the lowdown on this Bremer bloke?

I reckon just the fact that he's Serie A's " best defender " symbols no chance for the likes of us?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You seem to have knowledge of Serie A though, what's the lowdown on this Bremer bloke?

I reckon just the fact that he's Serie A's " best defender " symbols no chance for the likes of us?

He is a very good player, I wouldnt say he is the best defender in general but this season has been good. Torino are having a better season than normal and have one of the best defences, though they got badly beaten today but Bremer was out. Tammy scored 2 for the fans :P  

Not sure we wouldnt have a chance to get him as this is probably his breakout defensive season and Torino are happy to take as much money as they can get but I think any top Serie A player coming to England will probably go to Spurs first to work with Paratici and Conte and he has been linked to them

Interesting that Torino have a potentially good manager who has caused trouble for the big teams in recent seasons and learned from the Atalanta manager, cough cough :P

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, paul514 said:

To each their own and all that, but Bremer is better than Botman in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I see people say stuff like this all the time, but I don't care you make the offer to the club and offer the best you can to the player...... make them say no

36 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

To each their own and all that, but Bremer is better than Botman in my opinion.

To be fair when I suggested him it was to play next to Botman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't think he is Serie A's best defender we are far more likely to get a good defender off Torino than Juventus though

• Like 1