Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, sne said:

No they don't :D 

Look at the formation Brighton have used in the game not just if it says DM or CM or whatever. He's playing alongside Gross, Mac Allister, Moder or Lallana in a double pivot™ in the games he's playing DM.

A double pivot is 2 Defensive midfielders. When they play 3 4 1 2 he's part of the two holding mids. When they play 3 5 2 he's the central of the midfield 3. All that matters in modern game is the role a player plays, not the label we want to apply to it. You cannot have such sky high defensive stats, like interceptions and tackles without doing a lot of defending.

We don't play with a deep midfielder in as a CDM and we never will under Gerrard. We play a flat 3 who all have significant defensive responsibilities. The central one is most key as errors there lead to central attacking positions for opposition. 

Edited by CVByrne

Everytime I've watched Brighton Bissouma has played as a DM, often he plays in a two man midfield with Lallana, so he has to,  his defensive abilities are pretty much all he has, ask Brighton fans, they in general rate him as their best player but will tell you he's pretty much hopeless in an attacking sense, can play simple passes and drive forward with the ball, but not much beyond that. If we or any of the other clubs he's been linked to were to sign him it wouldn't be to play anywhere other than as a defensive midfielder.

Only way I could see him being used as a '8', is if we were going to try and adopt the Liverpool thing of having the midfield sit deeper to allow the fullbacks to play virtually as wingers, in that system he could play as a '8', but he wouldn't a 8 in the way that Ramsey and McGinn plays 8s.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

A double pivot is 2 Defensive midfielders. When they play 3 4 1 2 he's part of the two holding mids. When they play 3 5 2 he's the central of the midfield 3. All that matters in modern game is the role a player plays, not the label we want to apply to it. You cannot have such sky high defensive stats, like interceptions and tackles without doing a lot of defending.

We don't play with a deep midfielder in as a CDM and we never will under Gerrard. We play a flat 3 who all have significant defensive responsibilities. The central one is most key as errors there lead to central attacking positions for opposition. 

Then this whole discussion is kinda moot isn't it. Pretty sure we even agree on Bissouma. As i said I rate his defensive contribution but he doesn't get those stats by sitting deep as an anchor man. He gets about and presses all over the central midfield. Hence why the people (not me) who are dreaming of a stay at home defensive DCM don't see Bissouma as that player and still want another DCM.

Anyway if we sign him I'm sure we'll have reason to return to the discussion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

McGinn is one of the top performers in the league with these stats - I wouldn't call him defensive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't know why I bother with your posts. But here for the final time. Easiest of all your nonsense to correct. Positions played box

Yves Bissouma - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

It's not really cut and dry. The true position a player plays is kind of subjective. You often get discrepancies between different stat sites when it comes to CM, DM and AM positions.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Does it really matter where he plays? We likely won't get him if we finish below Brighton.

Think they might cash in since he only has 1 year left. We pay high salaries and he's not quite good enough for the top clubs.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Does it really matter where he plays? We likely won't get him if we finish below Brighton.

It does since people have been crying on here for a few years for a defensive midfielder then we sign Bissouma who while he is ok doing a defensive job is not actually a defensive midfielder. He pretty much plays the same position as McGinn or Ramsey

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

So we got to the bottom of Bissouma’s position yet? 😂 

LB - not sure if he is more of a full back or a wing back though

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Think they might cash in since he only has 1 year left. We pay high salaries and he's not quite good enough for the top clubs.

I think the likes of West Ham would be more attractive than us currently, especially if they lose Rice, Wolves if they lose Neves or Newcastle as they'll pay more.  He won't be choosing us if he has those options, especially if we finish below Brighton, which is a possibility.

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

So we got to the bottom of Bissouma’s position yet? 😂 

We never will. Nobody wants to accept he's a defensive midfield player by his defensive stats. So I assume he is a 10