Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

41 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Ironically buendia is one of the players in the squad which the narrow formation best suits since his best form for Norwich came from an inside right position.

I see your point re traore and Bailey not suiting the formation but don’t think that fits for buendia 

Just because he likes to come inside once he has received the ball it need not be a problem as long as the ten is aware of what he is going to do then space can be had 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think we'll be signing any wingers sadly.

Not with a narrow formation, but even if we reverted back to a wide formation.... assuming we can get rid of Trez and AEG I would only be looking at Diaby, Hudson-Odoi, Doku, Pulasic and Raphina. If I couldn't I would just keep what I have.

21 minutes ago, messi11 said:

15 million for Targett sounds about right

We paid more than that for him, he was player of the season last year and has a few years of being straight first choice...... No way is he only worth that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

We paid more than that for him, he was player of the season last year and has a few years of being straight first choice...... No way is he only worth that 

Him being a second choice has reduced his value. That’s what we usually say when it comes to selling players, sell them before anyone notice that you don’t need them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

£15m + the loan fee 

Its about right for him 

This...  We also got a pretty hefty loan fee from them, considering the circumstances.  

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

£15m + the loan fee 

Its about right for him 

Yes, this.
Clubs will always take the loan fee into account with an 'option' as it's guaranteed. 

So - £18m-£20m? Can't complain.

• Like 1

Assuming we sign Coutinho - it is my view that GK (with Steer having done well at Luton until injury by all accounts), defence (could be upgraded, but not crucial) and attack (assuming no major outgoings) at all OK - and it's the midfield that needs sorting this summer.

Ramsey (J) is a potential super-star in the making - so either McGinn, Luiz or both need a major upgrade. Suspect it will be Luiz, and he could be off (more money in the coffers), although I would be tempted to cash in on McGinn if Luiz would sign a new contract, largely as he's 4 years younger and has a higher ceiling in my view.

Add the U23s who have been out on loan, and/or are making strides around Bodymoor and the England youth teams - we have a proper squad developing.
We have to start using these guys, or they are wasted (Carney, Iroegbunam, Kessler, Archer, JPB, Ramsey (A), Barry, Azaz, Raikhy).

I suspect we have to get Chisrene, Swinkels, Bogarde, O'Reilly, Burchill, etc out on loan next year, to be ready for the following season - meaning that the defence is getting reinforcements soon in particular, and Young (A) can do 1 more year as back-up.

So , I don't think we need an awful lot of spend this summer - maybe £60m combined on Coutinho and a CM (DCM), plus any bargains and youth players we see.

Sell Luiz/McGinn (£25m/£40m?), Targett (£15m?), El Ghazi (£5?), Trez (£8m?), Guilbert (£5m?), Davis (£5m), Wesley (£5m) - that's a net income! 
Could maybe add Traore (£10m), Steer (£5m - depending on the young GKs) and Sanson (£10m) to that, and it would make little difference - not sure I wold though, especially Sanson.

10 hours ago, paul514 said:

I highly doubt we agreed an option to buy of just 15m.... 20 odd I can believe.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

£15m + the loan fee 

Its about right for him 

yeah, i would imagine we probably get a decent loan fee for him, then a reported 15m fee plus the loan fee, might actually take it closer to 20m, or just above, i dunno.

the touted 15m ofc doesnt factor the loan fee, which makes it look worse than it probably is once you factor in everything (loan fee, wages not on books, plus the set fee etc)

Even if Toon dont take him, we could then sell him for 15-20m to another team, but we had already pocketed the Toon loan fee and wages off books, so could prob even make more if Toon didnt take him (assuming we do sell).

Id completely guess the club touted him around in January to see how much interest there was in him before agreeing to the Newcastle loan

They should be in the position to know if we could get more for him and I'd imagine the answer is no, better to take the £15m than him coming back here and no one else wanting him 

The idea of us being able to get more has to be based on the idea of someone else actually wanting him... And there's no guarantee that there is 

6 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Him being a second choice has reduced his value. That’s what we usually say when it comes to selling players, sell them before anyone notice that you don’t need them.

No doubt but I would have valued him at 30 if he was still first choice and someone came in

its enough to buy a better player like Sosa at Stuttgart 

46 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

So , I don't think we need an awful lot of spend this summer - maybe £60m combined on Coutinho and a CM (DCM), plus any bargains and youth players we see.

So you just want to stay a midtable team? Adding just a midfielder really isn’t going to get us European place is it.

The Targett sale for £15 million is fine. As others have mentioned we have likely added a loan fee, taken his wages off the books for 6 months, and potentially added a bonus for Newcastle avoiding relegation.

We bought him for £14 million, so we are actually making a small profit. But most importantly we got two good seasons from him for our money; it's not always about the profit you make off players, but about the impact they had on the club whilst also recouping the fee paid.

Great business all round in my opinion.

• Like 1