Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 hours ago, av1 said:

And they didn’t get a sniff because the midfield was over run. 

Mate for as long as I’ve been a member on here I’ve valued your opinion, but this season it just seems like every post is fuelled by your dislike of Gerrard 

I have given him credit when it is earned. Last week i didn't criticise the performance as even though we lost to West Ham it wasn't really a fair reflection on the game

I have been very disheartened since the appointment and the summer links to Phillips, Bissouma, Wijnaldum and Suarez has set further alarm bells off 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we have Phillips and Bissouma in midfield next season I’d be absolutely buzzing. 

I think we need both as well. I've said it many times, to the point where I'm probably pissing a few people off, but it's our weakest area by a country mile.

We would have to have a fair old clear out in the summer to be able to bring in Phillips, Bissouma, Coutinho, plus the LB, CB and ST that we could also do with signing.

This summer is probably the most important since our first one back in the PL.

• Like 1

We need to replace Konsa in the starting line up with a ball playing CB and we need to sign the right CDM who is an elite passer. Luiz to then move to 8. This now raises the passing ability of the CBs and midfield 3 while also giving us better defensive solidity and bite in midfield. 

We then need to review our forward players, if we are set on this two 10s system we need to make changes to the forward line. I think the two forwards and one 10 works better but if we are to go with that formation what does it mean for Buendia, Bailey, Traore, Chukwuemeka etc.. if they are all competing with Coutinho for the 10 position we need to clear out. 

If we are sticking with the two 10s. Then we are stocked for the position but we have nobody who can fill the lone CF role in the system as we need an elite finisher for the chances created by the 10s. We will not be able to find one in a summer where everyone is in need of a CF. Watkins works best in a 4 3 3 / 4 2 3 1 where he has other forwards to chip in with goals too. Ings works best in a front 2 or as a 2nd striker. 

I feel Gerrard will revert to the 4 3 1 2 for Wolves but this formation leaves out all our attacking talent like Bailey, Buendia, Traore and causes the most issues for the squad in summer.

I think we need to find a way to get our best attacking talent on the field, whilst also giving adequate protection in midfield.

The dream is Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey behind a striker, and in order to do this we’d need two dominant, strong defensive midfielders in midfield. Realistically, and it pains me to say this as I like all of our midfielders, none of them are good enough to do this role if we are to get in to the top 6.

Signing Phillips and Bissouma would be an excellent summer in this regard. It may well be greedy, and expensive, and possibly not realistic, but with those sat in our midfield we’d have the ball a lot more to give our quality attackers more opportunities to create and score. 

If the scouts find a gem abroad meaning we only sign one of the above, then fine, but I’d also be happy with the vast majority of the budget being spent on those two positions in the team. West Ham have shown how important it is to have a midfield two that can be regularly relied upon to allow the rest of the talent to do its thing. Soucek isn’t even that good, in my opinion, so if we were to have two players just below Rice’s ability, in a similar formation to them, we’d be a remarkably better outfit. 

I can’t see it happening though, Gerrard prefers different formations, but no matter what formation we play, I believe we need two top quality (or as good as we can get) midfielders of that ilk, which give more protection to the defence. 

I like McGinn and Douglas Luiz, and am gutted we haven’t seen more of Sanson so far, but if we sold them all to buy Phillips and Bissouma (plus an additional £30m probably?) then that would be a very successful summer. We’re not going anywhere quickly with our midfield I’m afraid. I like them all, and they’ve been a huge reason why we’re in this league, but we can’t be sentimental. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have thought my top 8 comment was pretty straightforward as we’re currently not in the top 8. It’s the next progression. Once we’re in the top 8 next target is top 6. So on and so forth. 

Plus more money for each position we’re higher up the league. How many times have we finished top 8 since MON left?

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

A bit of silliness -

In my Apple news feed immediately under Aston Villa there’s a picture of Haaland.

image.gif.4c458fab5317f53a17ef375d6064853d.gif

Maybe. 

Some posters on here just dont think Bundesliga players are any good. Avoid and keep Watkins with his Premier League experience 

• Thanks 1

I think Leon Bailey is the only exciting signing we have made from Europe in my lifetime and we don't even play him.

I really wish we could make a few more rather than constantly overpaying for players from the PL and Championship.

• Like 1

I wonder how much we could get for Konsa. He’s been praised, mostly by Villa fans but still, so you’d think he could be fairly expensive. If Villa upgraded him to a confident ball playing CB it could make a difference when it comes to our build-up and ball retention.

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I wonder how much we could get for Konsa. He’s been praised, mostly by Villa fans but still, so you’d think he could be fairly expensive. If Villa upgraded him to a confident ball playing CB it could make a difference when it comes to our build-up and ball retention.

About 20-25 million. 

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Not that much at the moment, he is uncapped and not brave enough on the ball for a top 6/7 team. He is also not commanding enough to play the enforcer next to a ball playing defender

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Do your worst Purslow😄

Was gonna throw him a mention. Mind, I don’t think we have a shot to get him at all but we have international teammates of his here and Coutinho. Who knows 

Newcastle will be a big factor on the market this summer and I have a feeling we and them often will chase the same players.

The smaller PL clubs will buy cheaply at the lower end, while Man City will compete for Haaland. Liverpool and Chelsea make one or two high-end deals and Arsenal/Spurs try to sign young and promising players with star quality.

Somewhere in between I expect Newcastle and Villa to be. Eager to climb the table, bidding for slightly older players who will be expected to deliver right away, but with lower development potential and resale value. The rich and desperate clubs, maybe.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was right in the summer…………just saying!

Doesn't make sense, everybody keeps telling me Mourinho only knows how to improve defensive players 

FWIW he misses a lot of big chances at Roma still and wouldn't get nearly as many here. I be interested in comparing his shots to game with Ings 

12 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

The owners have invested alot of $$$$  and we a not seeing the end product for me only on occasions.

It got us promoted and established mid table. I think people underestimate how much it costs to achieve that, particularly when you have to pay extortionate fees for average players these days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

It got us promoted and established mid table. I think people underestimate how much it costs to achieve that, particularly when you have to pay extortionate fees for average players these days. 

Value for money have been good or even very good for the players signed 2019 and 2020. Last summer however doesn’t look good in retrospect.