Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, sne said:

I like Bentancur, he's a good player. He's not lived up to the hype he had a few years ago (if he had he would have been a £100m player) 

Juve fans are not a happy lot these days and the club is in a mess, might be going to court for tax fraud and so on. Pretty much every player is for sale apart from Chiesa and Locatelli (who are both loans to buy) and Allegri/Pirlo/Allegri have struggled to find a midfield that works despite having loads to chose from. They've been throwing shit at the wall for 2 seasons now and nothing has really worked.

Juve want their deepest CM to collect the ball from defense as a regista/DLP (booo! whitchcraft!!) and Allegri apparently feels that Bentancur is too slow on the ball when he's played there. Just like every other player who is discussed he is NOT the fabled DCM who sits and defends the back 4. He's pretty technical, aggressive and all round good with the ball. You have to be to play for Juve.

The comparison to Luiz is not that far off tbh. He's nothing like an N'didi or Casimeiro

They want a young Pirlo.  There aren't many of them around.

• Like 2

Without wanting to generalise too much, the issue with a fan base such as Juve's is that it's almost equivalent to, say, a United in the sense that large portions of it are made up of entitled supporters who struggle to find any positivity in their situation/squad because of the relative fall from grace they've had. I'm sure Villa fans would be losing their heads with excitement were we to sign De Ligt, would there suddenly be a mass U-turn on that when people realised that Juve fans don't particularly rate him? This could be applied to a large portion of their squad despite the fact that most of them would improve ours.

The encouraging thing for me with Bentancur is that despite Allegri's previous comments, he's generally regarded as having had his best season under Sarri where he played in that 6 role. Even though it's a feather in his cap his versatility has almost hindered him from really kicking on as he's had to fill different roles for Juve and not nailed down a defined role, this wouldn't be the case at Villa and if he could transfer over the numbers he puts up in Serie A then we could be looking at a signing that at absolute minimum is capable of operating at the "next level" Villa are aiming to get to.

• Like 1

https://thefalse9.com/2021/10/rodrigo-bentancur-a-scouting-report.html

Rodrigo Betancur is a Uruguayan professional footballer who currently plays his club football for Juventus, predominantly as a deeper lying midfielder. Having started his professional career with Argentinian side Boca Juniors, he signed for Juventus in July 2017 after impressing in the Argentine Primera Division. He plays a pivotal role for both club and country for whom he has won 41 caps to date.

+ Excellent passing range

One of Bentancur’s best attributes is his excellent passing range. His long range pass completion stands at a brilliant 76.9% and this is a key weapon that Juventus use to their advantage in order to create chances. Against opposition who play an especially high line, Bentancur can use his passing range to play long balls over the top of the defensive line which the likes of Chiesa and Morata can exploit. He also averages 6.07 progressive passes and 6.18 passes into the final third which shows his medium and shorter range passing is also penetrative. Overall he averages 1.96 shot creating actions per 90 in live ball situations, which is exemplary for a deeper lying midfielder. Even when put under pressure, Bentancur completes around 10.09 under pressure passes per 90 which shows he is capable of playing out from the back under intense pressing. He does this often by using his ‘lanky’ frame in order to shield the ball from the opposition and lay it off onto his teammates. His ball shielding abilities are world class and it massively contributes to him playing well under intense pressing. 

+ Defensive contribution

2-300x275.jpg

With 2.8 pAdj tackles and 1.71 pAdj interceptions per 90, Bentancur is a very good player defensively and it is his hardwork and perseverance that allows this. He makes the majority of his tackles in the midfield and attacking third, which allows his team to quickly counter once they have regained the ball. With 41.8% of opposition dribbles being tackled by him, Bentancur is certainly an elite defensive midfielder.

3-300x282.png4-300x288.png

As the situation in the above diagram shows, the incoming opposition wingback means that the Juventus fullback needs to step out of his defensive line to confront him. An opposition midfielder then identifies the space and tries to move into it, however Bentancur has the intelligence to spot the danger and snuff it out before any real harm is done. This once again highlights Bentancur’s intelligent defending.

+ Ability to exploit right half space and wing

5-300x200.png

As the above heatmap shows (from Bentancur’s 19/20 season under Sarri), Bentancur predominantly occupies a midfield position but he also tends to drift to the right wing at times in order to disrupt the opposition backline.  This is usually aided by the right winger moving to the right half space which then overloads the opposition’s left side. Overloading the opposition’s left side allows Juventus to attack and create chances via crosses. 

6-1-300x227.pngMoreover in certain situations, Juventus’s right winger stays wide which pins back the opposition defensive line and forces the opposing left back out of his position and as the above diagram shows, Bentancur can exploit the right half space left vacated by the full back. These types of run from midfield areas highlight Bentancur’s intelligence and they can be used as a weapon to unlock difficult low blocks.

– Poor ball carrying

8-300x294.png

As the above graph shows, Bentancur is a very average ball progressor especially when compared to the other elite midfielders in Serie A. He averages around 0.87 completed dribbles per 90 which is bad for a deeper lying midfielder and this results in him averaging a very poor 4.11 progressive passes per 90. Bentancur is very efficient at evading the opposition press but he doesn’t always possess the ability nor the intelligence to drive into the open spaces left behind. He rather prefers to lay off the ball to one of his teammates and this trait could be considered a hindrance to his progression as a deeper lying midfielder. 

– Lack of assists

Bentancur has mostly played as a central midfielder in his footballing career with 141 total appearances to date in that position. Despite all that, he has only achieved 20 total career assists in his professional club career, his goal record isn’t much better either with him getting a total of 4 goals for his club sides. This could be considered as a major flaw for a modern day midfielder and his end product has to improve, if he is to keep playing as a central midfielder.

Conclusion

9-251x300.png

Bentancur is an excellent deeper lying midfielder who is constantly improving his game. The diagram above shows the improvement in his game from when he was 21 to when he was 22 and this highlights the hard work he puts in to improve his footballing skills. His excellent passing range has only got better as he’s got older and his defensive numbers have greatly bettered over the years. However, he lacks real dynamism when ball carrying but he has shown improvement in this department, season by season. 

In my opinion, Bentancur operates best in a deeper regista role in the DM position rather than as a central midfielder as he lacks the end product that a top class central midfielder usually has. Furthermore, in a regista role his poor ball carrying abilities can be compensated for by his exemplary passing range, as that is a regista’s primary role.

Tl;dr: exactly what we seem to be looking for.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Nor is Bentancur.

He has better stats than Bissouma in defensive actions in every category but tackles. But I agree he's not an out and out 6. 

Neither of them are. 

What Bentancur is is an upgrade on Douglas Luiz for good value.  

If we want a genuine 6 (doesn't look like Gerrard does btw given who we are linked with) then buy an actual 6. 

2 minutes ago, allani said:

They want a young Pirlo.  There aren't many of them around.

Was supposed to be Sandro Tonali a few years back but he's not lived up to the hype after his move to Milan.

Still only 21 thou and from the little I've seen he seems to have picked up form this season.

• Like 1

If we sign him then I reckon Suarez too Villa will happen in the summer, all the cogs are there for it to happen. Coutinho, Gerrard, Bentancur reunion.

He seems quite similar to Nakamba as he breaks up play but probably will be able to pass better than Nakamba. No idea if he has the same engine as Nakamba though.

• Like 1

Also I think folk get waaaaaay too hung up on the intricacies of player being "not a 6". Considering every player we get linked with to play the role apparently isn't one I'd be surprised if there's many left in existence. 😂 N'golo Kante has played more games over the course of his career at CM than DM, yet in the hypothetical universe where we signed him to play as a 6 I don't think even VT would be arguing it was a bad idea because he hasn't been playing there all the time for Chelsea. Bentancur has played there, by many accounts performing at his best in the process, if he comes to Villa and replicates that form then I'm quite comfortable with saying he is one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

If we sign him then I reckon Suarez too Villa will happen in the summer, all the cogs are there for it to happen. Coutinho, Gerrard, Bentancur reunion.

He seems quite similar to Nakamba as he breaks up play but probably will be able to pass better than Nakamba. No idea if he has the same engine as Nakamba though.

Suarez will never happen. 

Nakamba has proven himself a very capable destroyer, but Bentancur is in a different universe in terms of distribution when compared to Marv. 

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Also I think folk get waaaaaay too hung up on the intricacies of player being "not a 6". Considering every player we get linked with to play the role apparently isn't one I'd be surprised if there's many left in existence. 😂 N'golo Kante has played more games over the course of his career at CM than DM, yet in the hypothetical universe where we signed him to play as a 6 I don't think even VT would be arguing it was a bad idea because he hasn't been playing there all the time for Chelsea. Bentancur has played there, by many accounts performing at his best in the process, if he comes to Villa and replicates that form then I'm quite comfortable with saying he is one.

For reference, here's Bissouma's heat map from last season vs Bentancur's:

Screenshot_20220123-150254_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220123-150309_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Exactly this, the targets we seem to be interested in suggest that Gerrard and his team are not interested in a "typical 6" but a player who can do the defensive job sufficiently well but possess genuine quality on the ball with distribution to match. 

TLDR: To generalize, looking at the last 3 seasons stats for all 3:

Kamara: Very good pressure stats and likes to carry the ball. Passing good. 

Bissouma: Good tackler who likes to dribble and is comfortable in possession. Not even close to the other two on passing stats. 

Bentancur: Exceptional interception stats and has very good assist and key pass numbers for a deep lying CM. Good passer and progresses the ball far better than the other two. 

image.thumb.png.6ec3f2c281f0e112807d72541f5a80d0.png

image.thumb.png.2cc2f11627fafb0ed32d53d5bbdb23b5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Was supposed to be Sandro Tonali a few years back but he's not lived up to the hype after his move to Milan.

Still only 21 thou and from the little I've seen he seems to have picked up form this season.

Has been great this season but doesn't play like Pirlo and is more all rounder. Not afraid to do the dirty things in midfield

Bennacer is more the deep playmaker for Milan

14 minutes ago, Indigo said:

It’s become quite amusing. 

Just now, Zatman said:

Has been great this season but doesn't play like Pirlo and is more all rounder. Not afraid to do the dirty things in midfield

Bennacer is more the deep playmaker for Milan

Yeah was more the natural comparison made when he was 17-18 and came through at Brescia, like Pirlo

18 minutes ago, Indigo said:

*checks Kantes height*

No for me too small 

• Haha 1

Â