Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Based on what I have read and listened to over the last couple of days, you could well be right, but if we are in for him, what is motivating our interest? Which of the things you have stated as negatives do Gerrard and Lange disagree with you on?

Maybe they've resigned themselves to Luiz not signing a new contract and are looking for a similar style replacement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Based on what I have read and listened to over the last couple of days, you could well be right, but if we are in for him, what is motivating our interest? Which of the things you have stated as negatives do Gerrard and Lange disagree with you on?

True they know more than me for sure, I trust Gerrard and Lange, hopefully they're reading this thread and the Juventus fans thoughts on him

Just now, sne said:

Maybe they've resigned themselves to Luiz not signing a new contract and are looking for a similar style replacement.

I think this could be the case. Luiz is decent and losing him now is annoying as he’ll be coming into his prime but we have to sell him in the Summer if he’s not going to sign a new deal.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Oh dear. It should be a lot of fun on here if that is the case :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Could be that yes, it just seems odd that you would buy another player who is not comfortable playing in the defensive role most people think we need. Like swapping one problem for another similar one. They must see something we aren't. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

FWIW, I don’t really buy into the idea that just because Lange and co. want a player, that it’s the right player and the right signing. History is littered with mistakes in the transfer window for every club and just because somebody is deemed an expert in their field, doesn’t mean they always get it right. Take SAGE for example 😉

If we sign Bentancur, fair enough, I’m sure they’ve done their research, but it could be a mistake, we just don’t know yet. Personally, I’m a little worried by the comments from Juve fans about his ability. I hate it when you sign a player from a club whose fans are really happy about the deal. I’d hazard a guess that more often than not, said player doesn’t do well at the new club. Digne is an example of the reverse. Everton fans were gutted to lose him and he’s been very good for us so far - as expected. 

I dunno man, I just feel like Kamara/Bissouma are better options? 

Agreed

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

Could be that yes, it just seems odd that you would buy another player who is not comfortable playing in the defensive role most people think we need. Like swapping one problem for another similar one. They must see something we aren't. 

Could be that they are not looking for the exact type of midfielder that some of our fans think we should. Gerrard played with a Smurf in his sitting midfielder role at Rangers. Obviously we need another level player at Villa but you get the point.

If we sign that ball-winning-defensive-beast-destroyer™ that some crave but it leads to us being worse with the ball then I'm certain I won't be alone in screaming at the telly when we fail to build any play of our own and are forced to chase the ball instead to create.

No (realistic) signing is going to make every group of fans happy.

This guy is an incredible player, he is exactly what we need, great defensively and brilliant going forward, amazing player. In reality I've never heard of him, know nothing about him, who watches Italian football anyway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

FWIW, I don’t really buy into the idea that just because Lange and co. want a player, that it’s the right player and the right signing. History is littered with mistakes in the transfer window for every club and just because somebody is deemed an expert in their field, doesn’t mean they always get it right. Take SAGE for example 😉

If we sign Bentancur, fair enough, I’m sure they’ve done their research, but it could be a mistake, we just don’t know yet. Personally, I’m a little worried by the comments from Juve fans about his ability. I hate it when you sign a player from a club whose fans are really happy about the deal. I’d hazard a guess that more often than not, said player doesn’t do well at the new club. Digne is an example of the reverse. Everton fans were gutted to lose him and he’s been very good for us so far - as expected. 

I dunno man, I just feel like Kamara/Bissouma are better options? 

We were happy that Westwood went to Burnley. They seem to like him

A lot didn't think Veretout would be any good

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course there are examples where it goes well, albeit I wouldn’t say Westwood has gone on to be a roaring success, just a decent lower half PL player. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The truth is there is no absolute certainty on how a player will perform at a new club - different league, different playing styles, pace and physicality - so all is guesswork. Who do you believe? Those who understand enough to give an ‘educated guess’. Comparing performance stats in isolation does not cut it in my opinion. 

I feel like this chap being a Juventus player makes him sound a lot more exciting than he really is. 

Juve fans seem meh about him, his stats seem meh, his blooper reel seems longer than Tyrone’s. 

Us VTers want a 6’6 N'Golo Kanté. I don’t think this chap anywhere near that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Makes no difference mate DL is a regular in the Brazil squad but not good enough for us according to some on here!

but he doesn't play alongside Casemiro in the Villa Team, does he?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I feel like this chap being a Juventus player makes him sound a lot more exciting than he really is. 

Juve fans seem meh about him, his stats seem meh, his blooper reel seems longer than Tyrone’s. 

Us VTers want a 6’6 N'Golo Kanté. I don’t think this chap anywhere near that. 

but we don't....just an exaggerated claim, to ridicule, what we really need.

I have no idea, about this latest rumour, so can't comment on his ability.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

but he doesn't play alongside Casemiro in the Villa Team, does he?

No he doesn’t but Brazil has plenty of midfield players to choose from yet the manager goes for DL - big plus for DL.

Edited by PerryBarrPet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

No he doesn’t but Brazil has plenty of midfield players to choose from yet the manager goes for DL - big plus for DL.

It depends what the Brazil manager, wants him to do.....its already been documented Dougies forte....He passes the ball excellently.

but why do you think we are mooted to be looking for a No6?

There are many cross purposes on this debate, because the point is being lost on the contrary agenda.

Just now, TRO said:

It depends what the Brazil manager, wants him to do.....its already been documented Dougies forte....He passes the ball excellently.

but why do you think we are mooted to be looking for a No6?

There are many cross purposes on this debate, because the point is being lost on the contrary agenda.

Because DL’s best position is not No. 6. In the Brazilian National team he plays alongside Casemires who is a world class No. 6. DL seems to be selected because his passing and work rate is important to their attack. So this position should be an option for Villa also - good enough for Brazil good enough for us.

Â