Formula One - 2022

BOF

11 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

People aren't suggesting that RB asked AT to pull that stunt?

I'm not sure how likely it is, but the idea of Red Bull's A team asking Red Bull's B team to help them out is definitely out there.

F1xed is trending on twitter.

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure how likely it is, but the idea of Red Bull's A team asking Red Bull's B team to help them out is definitely out there.

They probably don’t need to ask, maybe B-team know that they can help out now and again and it’ll keep the money flowing. 

• Like 1

What a shit track Zandvoort is. Literally only on the calendar because of Max.

Looks nice, and good for quali, but as a racetrack it's awful.

Luckily Ferrari kept us entertained with their antics.

Unlucky for Lewis. I could see the logic of what Mercedes did but was a big mistake in the end

Looking back it yesterday with fresh eyes and let's be honest, take away the safety cars and even the Mercedes with their shrewd one-stop strategy (allowing them to beat Ferrari) would have had to both fend off Verstappen with him on fresher tyres in this Red Bull monster, whilst being in inferior cars on older tyres. I don't think they would have done as the RB is a level above, and driven by Verstappen who is an excellent driver. 

In fact the Alpha Tauri VSC helped the Mercs more as they were able to switch to fresh mediums with Verstappen on hards which was a smart move. The killer was the Alfa stopping (that would be the Ferrari engined, former Mercedes driver driven vehicle) which meant Verstappen switched to fresh softs, Mercedes panicked and kept their drivers on worn mediums hoping they could hold off Verstappen, Russell kept a clear head and pushed for the softs (the correct decision and one Merc should have done at first were they not so desperate to win) and Hamilton was thinking Russell would be a good little 2nd driver and be sacrificed so he could build a lead that would hold off Verstappen which obviously Russell had no intention of doing. Hamilton is completely right to be annoyed that his team got it wrong with the Bottas SC but should have called for the team to put him on softs himself to not make him a sitting duck to the Ferrari, which as a driver of his standing and experience should have been a no-brainer. Ironically this was one of the bigger echoes from Abu Dhabi last year. 

The second team issue is definitely a problem and I think Alpha Tauri should be kicked to F2 and another constructor with independent ownership should be in instead purely for avoiding a conflict of interest. 

Tldr; Mercedes messed up, Red Bull took advantage, but even if they hadn't Verstappen wins that race without him DNFing

• Like 2

9 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Looking back it yesterday with fresh eyes and let's be honest, take away the safety cars and even the Mercedes with their shrewd one-stop strategy (allowing them to beat Ferrari) would have had to both fend off Verstappen with him on fresher tyres in this Red Bull monster, whilst being in inferior cars on older tyres. I don't think they would have done as the RB is a level above, and driven by Verstappen who is an excellent driver. 

In fact the Alpha Tauri VSC helped the Mercs more as they were able to switch to fresh mediums with Verstappen on hards which was a smart move. The killer was the Alfa stopping (that would be the Ferrari engined, former Mercedes driver driven vehicle) which meant Verstappen switched to fresh softs, Mercedes panicked and kept their drivers on worn mediums hoping they could hold off Verstappen, Russell kept a clear head and pushed for the softs (the correct decision and one Merc should have done at first were they not so desperate to win) and Hamilton was thinking Russell would be a good little 2nd driver and be sacrificed so he could build a lead that would hold off Verstappen which obviously Russell had no intention of doing. Hamilton is completely right to be annoyed that his team got it wrong with the Bottas SC but should have called for the team to put him on softs himself to not make him a sitting duck to the Ferrari, which as a driver of his standing and experience should have been a no-brainer. Ironically this was one of the bigger echoes from Abu Dhabi last year. 

The second team issue is definitely a problem and I think Alpha Tauri should be kicked to F2 and another constructor with independent ownership should be in instead purely for avoiding a conflict of interest. 

Tldr; Mercedes messed up, Red Bull took advantage, but even if they hadn't Verstappen wins that race without him DNFing

Verstappen was always winning the race without an error. He would have caught and passed the Mercedes without any of the safety cars. Especially given the fresher tyres and the straight line speed + DRS. He would just need to catch them. 

The biggest reason against collusion is Red Bull's huge lead in the Championship. They don't need to do that knowing that being caught would be instant elimination from the championship standings. It would be huge risk for really no meaningful gain.

As for the Porsche and Red Bull thing. It looks like posturing to me. Two big boys both wanting to control things. Red Bull saying any role Porsche come in under will be on Red Bull's terms. Porsche saying the same thing from their side.  It might be resolved. It might mean the 2 can't live together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

Seems some people have been abusing the Alpha Tauri strategy director? It was definitely a weird thing to happen, but **** me are f1 fans some of the most toxic **** around.

The Red Bull strategist, they think she made the AT stop on track as everything is a conspiracy and fix in their minds. The increased popularity in F1 has brought in some proper clowns into the fanbase.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2022 at 18:32, OutByEaster? said:

It wouldn't be worth risking is why it's likely bs. Why would winning a solitary GP matter at this stage? They have everything already wrapped up for the season anyway. 

On a simple risk reward it would be a ridiculous thing to do. Could cost you the championship if you cheated like that.

Also it was the 2nd safety car which did the most damage. All predictions from the Merc and RB computers said Verstappen win at every point of the GP too.

So it's one of those coincidences what will happen from time to time. 

I did think about Flavio Briatori in Singapore though. Diabolical genius tbf.

But this, no. 

On 06/09/2022 at 10:08, BOF said:

The biggest reason against collusion is Red Bull's huge lead in the Championship. They don't need to do that knowing that being caught would be instant elimination from the championship standings. It would be huge risk for really no meaningful gain.

As for the Porsche and Red Bull thing. It looks like posturing to me. Two big boys both wanting to control things. Red Bull saying any role Porsche come in under will be on Red Bull's terms. Porsche saying the same thing from their side.  It might be resolved. It might mean the 2 can't live together.

Turns out it was the latter.

• Like 1

Big weekend for F1 with nothing else on the telly.

Looks like the grid will be interesting again; Hamilton and Sainz at the back, Perez with a 10 place punishment and Verstappen with a 5 place punishment. 

Leclerc on the front row next to Russell?

• Like 1

Leclerc in all that confusion somehow getting away with not having his only Q1 lap deleted for exceeding track limits. Mclarens in a strong position for a Monza 21 remix too although that Mcl will get hauled in by any RB Ferrari or Merc that gets within 10 seconds of it 

It's well past time that someone in the midfield decided to add a bit of mischief to proceedings.

What we really need is a Max in an Alpine chopping off space to front runners coming through or forcing them onto the grass and gravel at every corner.

Where is F1's maverick?