Formula One - 2022

BOF

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

*car of his own

No there's another Red Bull and in 16 races it has only come 2nd to Max or won the race 5 times. So I'm afraid this is Max.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

No there's another Red Bull and in 16 races it has only come 2nd to Max or won the race 5 times. So I'm afraid this is Max.

Yep, as usual it's bit of both.

Red Bull is obviously the best car. But Max is taking the best car and making it even better with his driving.

Just like Hamilton did with his Merc previously, and most standout drivers will do with their cars

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Red Bull is obviously the best car. But Max is taking the best car and making it even better with his driving.

Just like Hamilton did with his Merc previously, and most standout drivers will do with their cars

Yep. Vettel in the Redbull, Schumacher in the Ferrari etc.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If Max was in the Ferrari and Charles was in the Red Bull, Max would still be winning the WDC in my opinion. There's not a lot in it pacewise between those cars, as Perez is showing and as Charles manages to show with his 8 pole positions this season. The difference is clearly Max driving imperiously.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

If Max was in the Ferrari and Charles was in the Red Bull, Max would still be winning the WDC in my opinion. There's not a lot in it pacewise between those cars, as Perez is showing and as Charles manages to show with his 8 pole positions this season. The difference is clearly Max driving imperiously.

Yeah I agree.

I also think if Ferrari hadn't been such a shambles early in the season and kept Charles in touch (I know he made his mistakes too) then that would be pushing Charles on as well.

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I thought Red Bull have stated that Perez is running a different floor to Max at the moment? Effectively being the test car for the next iteration (which doesn't seem as good). Could that possibly explain some of the difference?

If you mean the flexi-floor controversy, if that even changed the cars* at all it only did it from the middle of August onwards, three races ago just before Spa, and Perez has a 2nd place to Max in that time so it won't have done much of anything to the championship.

* Red Bull actually thanked Merc for that one as it seems to have hindered other teams

On 11/09/2022 at 16:12, theunderstudy said:

De Vries has pushed Latifi out of the seat for Williams youd assume. Knew there'd be a load of hyperbole over his drive today

Yeah it looks like a straight fight between them and Alpine for him although Alpine as usual is far from straight forward what with Gasly being their number one choice and they won't know if they have him until Red Bull's Colton Herta superlicence mess is resolved (and it won't be for a long time, if at all). But at the very least he has pushed him out by being the latest person to hop into a Williams and be instantly faster than Nicholas Latifi, which should be reason enough.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

If you mean the flexi-floor controversy, if that even changed the cars* at all it only did it from the middle of August onwards, three races ago just before Spa, and Perez has a 2nd place to Max in that time so it won't have done much of anything to the championship.

* Red Bull actually thanked Merc for that one as it seems to have hindered other teams

Below is what what I'd read. Whether it is of any real significance I don't know...

Perez, Verstappen differences in F1 floors due to cost reasons

Red Bull has explained that the decision to run different floors on Sergio Perez and Max Verstappen's Formula 1 cars has been partly triggered by cost reasons.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/perez-verstappen-f1-floor-split-triggered-by-cost-reasons/10365387/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Below is what what I'd read. Whether it is of any real significance I don't know...

Perez, Verstappen differences in F1 floors due to cost reasons

Red Bull has explained that the decision to run different floors on Sergio Perez and Max Verstappen's Formula 1 cars has been partly triggered by cost reasons.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/perez-verstappen-f1-floor-split-triggered-by-cost-reasons/10365387/

Cool, yeah it's since Spa. One to keep an eye on I guess until end of season.

Red Bull‘s car was more suited to Perez earlier in the season but a few tweaks to suit Max’s driving style around Azerbaijan onwards has meant he is more at one with it and has meant that the gap between him and Perez has widened. 

Ferrari’s car is more about a pointy front end and oversteer bias which ironically is what Max’s driving style is about. Strangely it can be set up to suit a few driving styles but Max or Lewis Hamilton (they have a similar driving style) would get the most out of it. 

Max has gone up a level this season though. He is at that genuinely unbeatable stage where only mechanical failure or boredom can beat him. 

I’d love to see Alonso in that Ferrari though. He’s still driving near his best. And Russell is a sensational driver. 

11 hours ago, BOF said:

Disagree Red Bull are much better than Ferrari at the strategy and their reliability has been superior. Plus they are similar in qualifying maybe Ferrari is slightly quicker but in race trim Red Bull is quicker and easier on its tyres. That straight line speed edge is a huge advantage too. 

On 13/09/2022 at 15:40, BOF said:

Yep. You only had to see when Leclerc was on the fresher softs trying to hunt down Verstappen on older mediums and didn't get close before the safety car. The Red Bull is a rocket but Verstappen like Hamilton for example before him is excellent at managing his tyres whilst staying at high pace. It helps he is an aggressive overtaker so if he gets bumped down the grid in quali it's inevitable he'll be fighting for the lead in the first 10 laps

Seems Herta's dream is off for now. They were right not to bend the rules, but they surely have to go away and redress the unfair way the Indycar super licence points are drawn up. It's ridiculously low compared to where it should be, and you know it's because it's not an FIA series.

• Like 1