Formula One - 2022

BOF

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Red flag and restart? So, artificially bunch the field up and have a restart that offers excitement to a TV audience at the expense of a car winning on merit?

They'd never do that would they?

🕵️‍♀️

The field were already bunched up. 

You can't red flag a routine retirement just to artificially add excitement. Unfortunately that was the only proper outcome, but Ferrari pitting while guaranteed second place while staying out might have got them first place was just more peak Ferrari.

• Like 2

I don't think you can knock Red Bull for it, they're doing what everyone is supposed to be doing, but this is a terrible F1 season, especially following on from last years classic. The new rules to encourage racing have worked to an extent, but when one car is so much quicker than all the others, it's not a great deal of fun to watch. 

It's Man City in League 1 at the moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

You can't red flag a routine retirement just to artificially add excitement. Unfortunately that was the only proper outcome, but Ferrari pitting while guaranteed second place while staying out might have got them first place was just more peak Ferrari.

I’m not talking about artificial excitement, just to finish the race racing.

Major boos from the crowd at the end there and I can understand why. An anticlimactic ending that could have been avoided. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Major boos from the crowd at the end there and I can understand why.

Well the crowd are tifosi with a Ferrari in second. Their booing means nothing. They wanted a restart after a safety car brought their soft tyred car up to the mid tyred opponent. The scenario rings a bell... and if memory serves, that got criticised last year. The shoot out would have been great to watch, but not entirely fair. Ultimately, what happened was underwhelming but correct.

• Like 3

It probably is the right thing all things considered just feels a bit of a let down. A bit like in a football match someone gets injured after 85 minutes and then the game never gets restarted. 

If feels like those last laps of racing were lost.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BOF said:

Yeah this. That would be a nonsense. Red flags aren't there to be chucked around to make things exciting.

You can't rewrite the rules just to please fans. We saw what happened with that last season

Edited by Stevo985

As a spectacle it’s a shit way for a race to end, without racing. 

I think if there’s a safety car within a certain number of laps of the end of the race and a high likelihood it would consume the remaining laps they should line up on the grid or pit lane, then restart from there.

The pack are already bunched up by the safety car so any gaps that have been built are gone. This at least finishes the race as it’s intended.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

As a spectacle it’s a shit way for a race to end, without racing. 

I think if there’s a safety car within a certain number of laps of the end of the race and a high likelihood it would consume the remaining laps they should line up on the grid or pit lane, then restart from there.

The pack are already bunched up by the safety car so any gaps that have been built are gone. This at least finishes the race as it’s intended.

Yeah it's a valid discussion, I'm still not sure it's a fair way of restarting at all, but I get the discussion. But it's something that would have to be agreed and put into the rules. People can't be moaning that they should have red flagged it yesterday just because it would be more entertaining

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BOF said:

I think they calculated Verstappen would still be ahead of them so they stopped too. They said it to Leclerc on the radio

• Like 1