Formula One - 2022

BOF

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Seems Herta's dream is off for now. They were right not to bend the rules, but they surely have to go away and redress the unfair way the Indycar super licence points are drawn up. It's ridiculously low compared to where it should be, and you know it's because it's not an FIA series.

Strange one, the FIA always used to allow drivers a dispensation to drive even without a super license, pretty sure max was given clearance without having the required license

2 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Strange one, the FIA always used to allow drivers a dispensation to drive even without a super license, pretty sure max was given clearance without having the required license

Max actually got the rules changed. You can't do a Max any more.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

I do love an F1 race weekend but 24 races is far too much, you can have too much of a good thing.

Absolutely, they should focus on quality over quantity. 

Select only the best circuits for racing, and dump the others.

Won’t happen in a million years though!

I mean looking at that list, how many are really good tracks?

Australia is ok
China is ok
Azerbaijan is good
Imola is good
Canada is ok
Austria is good
Silverstone is good
Belgium is good
Monza is ok
Brazil is good

So out of 24 I make that 6 tracks that are actually good, and 4 that are "ok"

It's not great is it.

Monaco, Netherlands, Spain, MIami, Jeddah are all particularly shit

(By good I mean good for these cars to race on. Obviously tracks like monaco and Zaandvort are amazing tracks for quali and to actually drive on)

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, theunderstudy said:

Latifi a goner then. De Vries assuredly replacing him 

Thought I read the other day that Logan Sargeant might be replacing him, because De Vries may be wanted higher up the grid.

On 21/09/2022 at 11:07, Stevo985 said:

I mean looking at that list, how many are really good tracks?

Australia is ok
China is ok
Azerbaijan is good
Imola is good
Canada is ok
Austria is good
Silverstone is good
Belgium is good
Monza is ok
Brazil is good

So out of 24 I make that 6 tracks that are actually good, and 4 that are "ok"

It's not great is it.

Monaco, Netherlands, Spain, MIami, Jeddah are all particularly shit

(By good I mean good for these cars to race on. Obviously tracks like monaco and Zaandvort are amazing tracks for quali and to actually drive on)

Suzuka?

Edited by Jimzk5

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Thought I read the other day that Logan Sargeant might be replacing him, because De Vries may be wanted higher up the grid.

Interesting. Who do you think? Alpine?

Piastri chooses #81.  Fun* fact. Other than Tony Benadies in the '57 Indy 500**, that number has only ever been used once in F1 history.  Maurice Trintignant's Simca at the Nurburgring in '51.

* for teh F1 nerds

** Indy 500 was technically in the F1 calendar back then.

$ @Designer1 there's that surname again.

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Sprint races are doubling next year... they really are trying to mess this up aren't they.

"After positive feedback from fans (nope), drivers (nope), teams (nope), promoters (definitely) and partners (definitely)". In other words, generally everyone bar the moneymen hate it.

I honestly don't watch the sprints. I see it as a free Saturday afternoon for whatever else I want to get up to.

i know the new rules were supposed to promote closer racing, but the fact that if Verstappen did win the championship today, it would be the first time it was won so early in the season, in 20 years.

The rules may have made it easier to follow and race other cars, but it certainly hasnt made the overall racing closer (the championship).

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i know the new rules were supposed to promote closer racing, but the fact that if Verstappen did win the championship today, it would be the first time it was won so early in the season, in 20 years.

The rules may have made it easier to follow and race other cars, but it certainly hasnt made the overall racing closer (the championship).

Yeah new rules always throw the grid order up in the air to some extent and give the possibility that someone will interpret them better. When you have Adrian Newey it'll probably be you.  I expect season 2 of the rules will be better in terms of grid separation and then they'll see closer racing on the track. So what they set out to do has been achieved. The lop-sided championship and the short term pain was unavoidable in order to stop the rot.