Formula One - 2022

BOF

19 hours ago, Genie said:

You’re right, Red Bull / Wheatley should be held to account for telling Masi to break the rules. Then of course, Masi should be fired for his part in the farce.

The last lap should be struck from the records. It’ll didn’t restart legally so it should be ignored. That’s not me backing Lewis because tbh he’s a prick. 

It’s such a shame a great season ended that way. 

I don't get this tbh. The problem is not that Red Bull said what they said. Teams will always look to get themselves an advantage. The problem is they had the facility/route of communication to even make the request in the first place.  By giving the teams the ability to talk directly to the race official, what do they expect is going to happen? Of course they'll try and plead their own case. "Here Michael, any chance of an advantage?" should be met with a firm no.  In that situation, which is hopefully fixed for 2022, Masi should have had the wherewithal to tell Wheatley what the rules were and that Wheatley was incorrect and his suggestion would not be how it plays out.  As it is, Red Bull probably had a fair idea Masi was weak and manipulatable and they played him like a fiddle. The fact he didn't know the safety car rules is another, ahem, red flag (badum tss).

It's pointless and Horner has even admitted the car won't look a lot like what they launched, but for completeness sake I'll post them here so I can keep the OP updated.

The "RB18" but not really

red-bull-racing-rb18-1.jpg

red-bull-racing-rb18-1.jpg

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't get this tbh. The problem is not that Red Bull said what they said. Teams will always look to get themselves an advantage. The problem is they had the facility/route of communication to even make the request in the first place.  By giving the teams the ability to talk directly to the race official, what do they expect is going to happen? Of course they'll try and plead their own case. "Here Michael, any chance of an advantage?" should be met with a firm no.  In that situation, which is hopefully fixed for 2022, Masi should have had the wherewithal to tell Wheatley what the rules were and that Wheatley was incorrect and his suggestion would not be how it plays out.  As it is, Red Bull probably had a fair idea Masi was weak and manipulatable and they played him like a fiddle. The fact he didn't know the safety car rules is another, ahem, red flag (badum tss).

I disagree on the first point, asking the officials to cheat is not fair game because you can. They need to be investigated for that.

I agree the direct line should be blocked off, but I can see why it exists in the first place (to appear transparent and speed up and confusing matters).

I disagree on the final point, I can’t believe that Masi didn’t know the rules. He crumbled under the pressure that they needed to finish the season racing. If it is the fact he didn’t know the rules then he should be easily fired but I think he was worried finishing behind the safety car would cause controversy (what a mistake that was!).

I listened on the radio as was driving back from a football match. They immediately summed it up. Firstly, Lewis is champion, they will run out of laps. Then quickly, maybe if they red flag they’ll be able to race for 3/4 laps after clearing the mess. Masi was caught like a rabbit between the headlights. Did nothing, and ruined the season.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Worth a try :lol:

Metro

That may be the first thing I have ever heard about Horner that makes me think he may not be a complete dick.  He must have known that they were never going to let him in, so all he has really done is make a decent size donation to charity for nothing in return, other than making a bit of a joke. Not much of a redemption, as he is now, in my eyes only 99% dick.

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

That may be the first thing I have ever heard about Horner that makes me think he may not be a complete dick.  He must have known that they were never going to let him in, so all he has really done is make a decent size donation to charity for nothing in return, other than making a bit of a joke. Not much of a redemption, as he is now, in my eyes only 99% dick.

A story I heard about him allegedly leaving his ex and new born baby to shack up with Geri Halliwell won’t do much to alter your opinion of him 

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

A story I heard about him allegedly leaving his ex and new born baby to shack up with Geri Halliwell won’t do much to alter your opinion of him 

Well, back up to 100%.  That did not take long.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I disagree on the first point, asking the officials to cheat is not fair game because you can. They need to be investigated for that.

I agree the direct line should be blocked off, but I can see why it exists in the first place (to appear transparent and speed up and confusing matters).

I disagree on the final point, I can’t believe that Masi didn’t know the rules. He crumbled under the pressure that they needed to finish the season racing. If it is the fact he didn’t know the rules then he should be easily fired but I think he was worried finishing behind the safety car would cause controversy (what a mistake that was!).

I listened on the radio as was driving back from a football match. They immediately summed it up. Firstly, Lewis is champion, they will run out of laps. Then quickly, maybe if they red flag they’ll be able to race for 3/4 laps after clearing the mess. Masi was caught like a rabbit between the headlights. Did nothing, and ruined the season.

Yeah we do disagree here. I don't think what Wheatley asked constituted literal cheating. I think they were trying to get the best set of conditions that they could out of Masi and he gave it to them. Also, we can only speculate as to how au fait Masi was with the rules, but based on his actions, he didn't know them well enough to immediately refuse Wheatley's request, so I can only conclude that he did not.

Cor blimey. Obviously some weird details there, presumably to hide various bits and pieces, but it looks pretty pretty smart smart to me.

Edit - except for that awful JCB logo

Edited by Lichfield Dean

That is a good looking car. That shade of green should be better on camera too. They were very similar to Merc last year at some tracks with the BRG.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Im hoping we get a real surprise early in the season, someone like McLaren or Aston Martin taking pole at the first race or similar.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact if it all stays as it was last season I'll be f**king disgusted 😁 At the very least I'm hoping Ferrari hit the ground running, as they're the one most likely from outside the top 2 to be able to mount and then maintain a title challenge.

• Like 1