Formula One - 2022

BOF

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Ah OK soz. Reason I did the explain was because some might genuinely think that - "What could Merc possibly learn from Haas". People (not you) who've not watched F1 for that long mightn't know that some of the greatest innovations have come from further down the grid.

Indeed. How else would we have got this beauty

1200px-R%C3%A9tromobile_2017_-_Tyrrell_P

(Yes I know Tyrell weren't that far down the grid, but any excuse :) )

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

On 04/02/2022 at 11:20, Genie said:

Link

Red Bull in “we quite like Michael Masi” shock.

:crylaugh: I reckon Red Bull will hire him if he gets sacked.

The FIA says it knows about radio messages from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that have raised fresh questions about last year's title-decider.

The messages seem to be further evidence of race director Michael Masi reacting to Red Bull's suggestions as to how to end a safety-car period.

And Masi echoes Red Bull's language in a response he gives to Mercedes.

A spokesman for Formula 1's governing body said: "We are aware of this and it is part of the investigation."

In the radio messages, Red Bull sporting director Jonathan Wheatley is heard advising Masi on how to deal with lapped cars that are on track between the leaders as he attempts to organise a restart before the laps run out.

At the time, Red Bull's Max Verstappen was on new tyres behind Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton on old rubber, which meant that if the race was resumed Verstappen would have a huge advantage and would likely win the race and championship.

Wheatley says: "Those lapped cars; you don't need to let them go right the way around and catch up with the back of the pack. You only need to let them go, and then we've got a motor race on our hands."

Masi replies: "Understood."

After the race, Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff gets on the radio to tell Masi that what he has done is "not right".

Masi replies: "Toto, it's called a motor race, OK?"

The radio transmissions are not new - they were on a video released by Formula 1 on 16 December, four days after the race - but the one from Wheatley appears to have missed general circulation in the storm that followed.

Their emergence into the public arena - they were trending on Twitter on Wednesday with the hashtag #F1xed - has come days before the FIA is due to reveal the outcome of its inquiry into Abu Dhabi to a meeting of the F1 Commission next Monday.

And it fits an impression of Masi acting in Red Bull's favour during the race and against Mercedes' interests.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner had previously said to Masi: "Why aren't we getting these lapped cars out of the way? You only need one racing lap."

It is widely acknowledged within F1 that Masi failed to follow the rules correctly in Abu Dhabi, and that in doing so he had a direct effect on the outcome of the world championship.

The FIA inquiry was set up to analyse how the mistakes at Abu Dhabi were made, and to put in place protocols to try to prevent them happening again.

The FIA has access to all team radio from Abu Dhabi for the inquiry they are conducting into the race.

And the outcome could have significant consequences - Hamilton, who lost the championship in the controversial ending of the race, will not decide whether to return to F1 this year until he has seen the results of the FIA inquiry.

How has this bellend Masi not been out of a job yet?  Farcical they haven't made decisions yet. Any hoo, it's a bit rubbish but if I do bother following the races this year, I hope there's a runaway winner ( not Max ) and not close at all as these clearings in the woods can't be trusted not to contrive to manipulate the outcome.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

For me, sacking Masi isn't enough - I really believe that F1 should be removing the result of last season's championship from the record books - at best there should be no Champion in 2020-21, unfortunately we were robbed of that by a bad race director - at worst, one team was able to influence the sports organisers to the extent that they were able to cheat, and if that were proven I'd happily see us go on without Red Bull.

I realise this isn't a commonly held view. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, sacking Masi isn't enough - I really believe that F1 should be removing the result of last season's championship from the record books - at best there should be no Champion in 2020-21, unfortunately we were robbed of that by a bad race director - at worst, one team was able to influence the sports organisers to the extent that they were able to cheat, and if that were proven I'd happily see us go on without Red Bull.

I realise this isn't a commonly held view. :)

You’re right, Red Bull / Wheatley should be held to account for telling Masi to break the rules. Then of course, Masi should be fired for his part in the farce.

The last lap should be struck from the records. It’ll didn’t restart legally so it should be ignored. That’s not me backing Lewis because tbh he’s a prick. 

It’s such a shame a great season ended that way. 

• Like 1

I just came to post about the giant fins on the end of the front wing of the new Red Bull.

I don't quite follow that tweet, mostly because I don't think that Craig Scarborough knows what "being tango'ed" means.

So have Red Bull pulled a fast one and not in fact unveiled their car for the new season?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I just came to post about the giant fins on the end of the front wing of the new Red Bull.

I don't quite follow that tweet, mostly because I don't think that Craig Scarborough knows what "being tango'ed" means.

So have Red Bull pulled a fast one and not in fact unveiled their car for the new season?

I’m also confused what that tweet is all about. 
Red Bull has released something 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

How has this bellend Masi not been out of a job yet?  Farcical they haven't made decisions yet. Any hoo, it's a bit rubbish but if I do bother following the races this year, I hope there's a runaway winner ( not Max ) and not close at all as these clearings in the woods can't be trusted not to contrive to manipulate the outcome.

I thought I was over it. 

I'm not.

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

@BOF can you translate the tweet?

Yeah it's that they've basically just put their livery on the FIA demo car. He says what they've got on display isn't even technically legal for 2022 rules. So it's a waste of time, and many suspect they'll all be letdowns.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yeah it's that they've basically just put their livery on the FIA demo car. He says what they've got on display isn't even technically legal for 2022 rules. So it's a waste of time, and many suspect they'll all be letdowns.

Who is “They”? 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Who is “They”? 

Red Bull

EDIT : I think that's where the confusion lies here. Scarbs is on about Red Bull in all of this.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Red Bull

EDIT : I think that's where the confusion lies here. Scarbs is on about Red Bull in all of this.

But the car in the picture of his tweet is nothing like the actual red bull that Red Bull did present tonight (or any other red bull).

Very odd and confusing tweet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

But the car in the picture of his tweet is nothing like the actual red bull that Red Bull did present tonight (or any other red bull).

Very odd and confusing tweet. 

Yeah it was his way of saying they gave us that car (the non Red Bull livery show car) as theirs. He was referring back to his previous tweet after watching the reveal.

• Like 1