Formula One - 2022

BOF

On 19/01/2022 at 15:18, BOF said:

Formula E (I know, I know...) has introduced a new qualifying format which I think sounds a lot of fun for TV. It's a group stage followed by knockouts.

Q1 is two groups of 11 cars in each.

For the first race of the season each team will put a car in each group (from then on the groups are decided by championship standings).

Each group gets 10 minutes to do as many laps as they can.
The fastest 4 from each group go into a quarter final knock out.
Fastest group A driver versus 4th fastest Group B driver etc etc. One lap each. Winner goes into the semis.
Then the same in the semis. One lap each and the same in the final.
The winner of the final is on pole position. Losing finalist second. Fastest losing semi is 3rd etc etc.
That decides the top 8.
The rest are decided by their group qualifying order with the drivers from the pole sitters group taking the odd numbered slots (9, 11, 13 etc) and the drivers from the runner up taking the even numbered slots.

I wouldn't necessarily want that to replace the current F1 qualifying, but I'd be all for that in the races that had a sprint weekend involved.

Imagine this, but instead of qualifying times, they have 1 lap race between each of those groups, rallycross style!

I'm on board!

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I really hope so. My worry is that for as long as I can remember the aero changes to allow closer racing have always been a year or 2 away. They never quite materialise.

These are huge though. And they’re not a year or two away, they’re built into the regulations. They’re happening

Whether it works or not is another question. But it’s definitely happening

• Like 1

The HAAS colours are pretty rank, but trying to focus on the car itself I think it's promising.

I think n some better liveries from the other teams they're going to look very nice indeed

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well after their year off last season to focus on this one, let's hope it's a lot better at Russian around this season.

Oh good god, I feel slightly ashamed for laughing at that one.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Oh good god, I feel slightly ashamed for laughing at that one.

I aim to please.  Actually that's not true. I aim for pained groans.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

DId I read that Haas said they'd digitally altered those pictures to remove some of the key aerodynamic features so that they couldn't be copied?

I didn't read that, but I did watch a video on TheRace where there was surprise at a pushrod front suspension and the pushrod arm wasn't rendered quite correctly to the body in the way the other arms were. The thiinking being that they actually have a pullrod system because that's also what Ferrari will have, and they share components. So they were trying to hide that.

Relevant part starts here at 1m32

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's just a render isn't it? It's not the actual car at all, it's just the livery reveal.

It's more than a livery reveal in fairness, but they won't show everything. In that sense it's no different to non-render launches, which hide stuff too.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine the list of teams waiting for the HAAS reveal to see what they can copy is quite short

There's always something though. Sometimes the smaller teams can innovate without the pressure of it having to work. More a speculative development. Adrian Newey looks at every snigle car on the grid because those teams all have top people working for them, and the next double diffuser-esque advantage could come from anyone on the grid.

46 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's just a render isn't it? It's not the actual car at all, it's just the livery reveal.

It is a render yeah. So potentially not accurate due to the modelling artists or also because it’s easy to omit any features they want.

also as it’s Mazepin’s car they’ve clearly turned off the motion blur as if it was accurate it would be spinning.

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

There's always something though. Sometimes the smaller teams can innovate without the pressure of it having to work. More a speculative development. Adrian Newey looks at every snigle car on the grid because those teams all have top people working for them, and the next double diffuser-esque advantage could come from anyone on the grid.

I was being tongue in cheek to be fair ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was being tongue in cheek to be fair ;) 

Ah OK soz. Reason I did the explain was because some might genuinely think that - "What could Merc possibly learn from Haas". People (not you) who've not watched F1 for that long mightn't know that some of the greatest innovations have come from further down the grid.

• Like 1