Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If people bother to look at every teams back up keepers the majority are no better than Olsen, several I'd argue are worse. Even top teams.  Car crash Carson is at City. Just pointless constantly moaning about this. If Emery thinks he's adequate that's that

Agree with your general point but Ortega is Man City's 2nd keeper 

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

The thing that concerns me about him most is that he appears scared every time he plays. I'd understand that from a young GK, but a 33yo international, who has played all over Europe and in the WC? He should have more confidence. I think his nervousness impacts our defence. 

Compare him to Pepe Reina, when he came over. He had that swagger that experience should bring. 

This times a million he's like a 15 year old out there. It's not realistic to not expect some drop off with Martinez not being in goals but the gulf when he's in is huge. He's like a rabbit in the headlights. Can't give the back line any confidence.

Hibs are dead last in the SPL as well by the way. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Going back to my point.

Olsen is not good enough. You think he is. Cool.

Criticising his performance isn't making him a scapegoat, it's living in reality.

He's still got support of fans for now, but we're playing with fire if he has to play many games. You can't help but hear the murmurs as he lets the ball under his foot again. It'll help no one if he's in the team making errors.

I don't necessarily think he is good enough, I just think he is the best viable option at the moment, and therefore gets 100% support. If Emi has a bad injury, we will bring in a new Nr 1 asap.

I appreciate that criticism is part of reality, I just also think, constructive criticism is a far better option. 

I respect our difference in opinion, but for you to say he is shit and me to says he's not, time and again just causes friction. I guess I just want to debate the subject, but I'm not trying to change your opinion.

8 minutes ago, Folski said:

Are you his agent? Or a family member?

Alright Stevie. Calm down. 😜

He's not great but he's an adequate backup. He does seem to be improving so hopefully the trend continues with a bit more game time in the league Cup and some other games against weaker opposition. 

We are weaker with him in... but the same could be said if we had any one from 99% of the rest of the goalkeepers in the world on our bench. Emi is just that good, so expectations in Olsen are going to be high. 

He's probably better than a lot of the first choice keepers we've had in recent years. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If people bother to look at every teams back up keepers the majority are no better than Olsen, several I'd argue are worse. Even top teams.  Car crash Carson is at City. Just pointless constantly moaning about this. If Emery thinks he's adequate that's that

I'd personally take Randolph, Guaita/Johnstone, Kelleher, Ortega, Heaton, Dubravka, Lloris/Forster, Fabianski, and whoever the best is out of Chelsea's 4 back ups. I hadnt seen a lot of the other clubs play so I don't think that the majority are no better than him.

30 minutes ago, Folski said:

Against a team who's wage bill is 1/30th of ours. Well done. DC Jonah is right we are a midtable team with him in goals for a large chunk of the season.

Kept a clean sheet against Spurs when we beat them 2-0. Helped us keep a point against Brentford when we drew 1-1 after Emi went off injured at half time. His flap almost cost us the game, thankfully he didn't. Olsen is not without his fundamental flaws to his game, but Unai seems to want to keep him around, boost his confidence. Ultimately, he's a serviceable backup who gets way too much criticism. The reality is, we aren't in a position to move him on unless a club comes in for him and one of your younger goalkeepers steps up. I just don't know why bafflingly we never disclosed how long the contract is which is bad business also. 

6 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I respect our difference in opinion, but for you to say he is shit and me to says he's not, time and again just causes friction. I guess I just want to debate the subject, but I'm not trying to change your opinion.

Lay off with this cobblers then.

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

It's not the players panicking, it's the Olsen haters. There is a lot of projection going on here.

The players seem confident in him, I have not once seen any of them refuse to pass to him. Again projection from the haters.

The need for a scapegoat says more about the haters than the player. Slag him off when he's gone by all means, but just support him when he is here.

Haters  Scapegoat 

Comment on the player and the performance. He's been given 100% support so far. If one of his flubs costs us points, fans aren't doing anything but reacting normally if they're pissed off.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:
4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Arsenal did 😜

Was a loan with no obligation to buy 😉

Technically you said millions and his loan is £3m which is multiple millions 😂

On a serious note though there is an obligation to buy if he completes what has been described as not a high number of games which triggers the obligation of £27m.

So you are correct if he plays no games but he must be expecting game time.

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Can be a decent shot stopper at times.

But he is stuck to his line and you can just sense that the back four doesn't fully trust him.

I get such Nyland vibes off of him.

Totally agree.

Nyland at least had the Leicester games where he randomly peaked out of nowhere (that save when he tipped Maddison shot onto the bar was Emi-esque) and then was o.k in the final v Man. City.

Our defence and DM simply aren't as confident with him in goal, it's that simple so you don't really want that psychological drop off with a number two in there.

When comparing him to arguably the best keeper we have ever had, Martinez, it's difficult to keep some perspective.

For me you can see he's nervous and that's leading to some fumbling but his shot saving is good and his presence in the box is improving, distribution again improving. 

I can't see us getting any better than him for less than £20m and thats not going to happen and even if it does they would have to sit on the bench and the same Old problem would happen, no game time, low confidence.

I'm guessing Olsen is very good in training and Emery sees this and understands that he needs to stick with him. Hopefully he will be the new Nigel Spink

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

I can't see us getting any better than him for less than £20m and thats not going to happen and even if it does they would have to sit on the bench and the same Old problem would happen, no game time, low confidence.

Only disagree with this bit.

It's definitely possible, but we are invested in Olsen now unfortunately.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Our defence and DM simply aren't as confident with him in goal

And you can see it.

I remember Diego against Burnley clearing a ball off the line or close to the goal while Olsen was going for it.

If that was Martinez he would just let him collect it.

Just have to back him. He won’t be able to change his distribution, but hopefully he can be braver coming off his line. He’s a big lad, maybe not as quick as Emi so I won’t see him outside the box, but he should be claiming everything in it. 

Clearly a confidence thing, so hope we get a good chant for him because Emi will miss time between injuries and internationals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Can be a decent shot stopper at times.

But he is stuck to his line and you can just sense that the back four doesn't fully trust him.

I get such Nyland vibes off of him.

Absolutely, especially when corners are coming in. Really doesn’t look comfortable. 

8 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Schmiechel is available on a free, however I think Olsen seems to have improved. With gametime I think he can go up some levels, he will never be Martinez but I think under the tutelage of unai he can become a much better keeper 

He might be but he isnt going from Nice bench to our bench. He also probably wants about 70k a week

I think people are very deluded on what a 2nd choice keeper is

• Like 2

15 hours ago, villan95 said:

Just goes round in circles.

He's shit.

He's okay.

He's shit.

Emery clearly doesn't think so.

He's shit.

Etc.

Just to say the bit in bold is not part of the circular argument - it is the key point. Emery is OK with him as back up GK and, like virtually every other squad member he has improved under Emery. He’s not as good as Martinez and the defence take more care to protect him . If he was as good as Martinez he would have been off this transfer window seeking regular first team football.

• Like 4

Â