Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

It’s not if Olsen was world class and his form recently dipped.  He struggled at Roma and Sheffield United. He’s making a living off the fact he is the Sweden #1 - something Emery alluded to in the press conference. 

He also couldn't hack it at PAOK in the Greek superleague. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Very true - but I think that one who can play out well from the back is more of a priority here, and that Olsen's not a good enough shot-stopper to mitigate his weakness on the ball. 

Fair enough, but then people would be demanding a goalkeeper better at shot-stopping! Ultimately, nobody is ever going to be truly happy with a backup keeper, the nature of the role means they have to be pretty mediocre (and if they aren't, they're leaving the next chance they get).

Just now, wishywashy said:

Fair enough, but then people would be demanding a goalkeeper better at shot-stopping! Ultimately, nobody is ever going to be truly happy with a backup keeper, the nature of the role means they have to be pretty mediocre (and if they aren't, they're leaving the next chance they get).

I dunno - maybe, maybe not. I think the key thing is not disrupting the defence and system, as Olsen seems to do. 

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

So Emery will never get anything wrong? 

Of course not, but I'd wager there's a significant probability he'd get less wrong than most Internet armchair football managers. Which is why he is where he is and they are where they are.

Given his track record, if he (and his staff) have had significant time working with a player, and they are happy to work with that player gong forwards, and don’t deem replacing them a priority going into next season, I'll trust that judgement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Very true - but I think that one who can play out well from the back is more of a priority here, and that Olsen's not a good enough shot-stopper to mitigate his weakness on the ball. 

Trouble is it's difficult for our scouting team and coaches to assess how good some of these potentially available players are, as they rarely get a competitive game. 

Dealing with the pressure of the match is a key component for a good keeper.

Emery knows what he has with Olsen and hopefully, with his backing, he can find some confidence and form if called upon.

I’m not a fan of Olsen but are there many teams in the league that wouldn’t decline massively if they lost their number 1 keeper for a stretch of games? 

Do you think we’re ever beating Liverpool by 7 with Allison in goal.  Number 2’s are generally a massive drop off from the number 1. It’s just the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not a fan of Olsen but are there many teams in the league that wouldn’t decline massively if they lost their number 1 keeper for a stretch of games? 

Do you think we’re ever beating Liverpool by 7 with Allison in goal.  Number 2’s are generally a massive drop off from the number 1. It’s just the nature of the beast.

a very well made point. for more recent evidence look at the Brentford team at the weekend.

I wonder if any other board has such a long thread for a sub keeper

• Like 1

Olsen has made just 4 appearances in the league for us, one of which was because Dibu got the sh*ts. All this talk of him costing us stuff is blown way out of proportion. He kept a clean sheet against Spurs don’t forget. Yes, he’s quite limited but as a backup he’s been nothing but professional. 

Edited by The_Steve

Olsen has looked pretty shaky for us and personally I'm disappointed we're not trying to improve that position. 

Even if Dibu stays fit, we're in four competitions and Emery wants to win them all. Olsen does inhibit that because he can't play out in the way Emery likes, and the defence is visibly nervous, which affects the whole team performance. 

Of course anyone is going to be a step down from the World Number One, but I would have liked us to target a decent understudy who can play with his feet a bit too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Olsen has looked pretty shaky for us and personally I'm disappointed we're not trying to improve that position. 

Even if Dibu stays fit, we're in four competitions and Emery wants to win them all. Olsen does inhibit that because he can't play out in the way Emery likes, and the defence is visibly nervous, which affects the whole team performance. 

Of course anyone is going to be a step down from the World Number One, but I would have liked us to target a decent understudy who can play with his feet a bit too. 

I think that’s fair. Transfer wise, any potential backup is going to be looked at as being third behind Olsen unless we sell first, or drives up the price because they will naturally want more or what Olsen is on. I think that makes the transfer window harder in terms of trying to find a suitable backup whilst giving our young keepers loan experience. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

its really not though is it? that's 27 points based on last season, so 9 wins will turn to losses based on the keeper?

the negativity surrounding olsen is way out of proportion and needs to stop

The three sides that went down last year had the three worst keepers for most of the season.

You can't compete with a crap keeper. You can play pretty well and be 2 down and it kills everyone's confidence.

I don't think the negativity is out of proportion. It's people concerned.

30 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The Villa fanbase always has to be unbelievably toxic towards 2-3 players. It's embarassing. Now that we're a good team it's clearly becoming quite difficult, given how the target is now the backup keeper.

This is fiction. Total fiction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

It will be a worry if Olsen plays in the cups as we would really like to have good cup runs.

Fans will be unhappy if he chucks one in in Round 3 of the FA Cup against Man Utd.

They'd be unhappy if Emi did as well.

Just as they'd be unhappy if Diaby missed a pen and McGinn boots in an own goal.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let me ask you this to all the ones criticising the people sayibg they dont rate olsen

Why was there never this concern with steer?

I was just thinking the same thing

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let me ask you this to all the ones criticising the people sayibg they dont rate olsen

People just like being up on their high horse. Pompous BS.

You see the same faces talking balls about a variety of subjects.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because his performances were at a time when the alternatives were Kalinic or Nyland. Our alternative is Martinez

Mendy got goalkeeper of the year after he signed for Chelsea to replace Kepa during his bomb scare years. All of data suggests that he was a bang average goalkeeper, but the comparison to the very poor Kepa made him seem immense. It's kind of the other way round here, where Martinez is so good that the backup keeper is always going to look utterly crap in comparison. This was definitely not the case when Steer had to start.

Edited by wishywashy

Â