Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Is it just me or does anyone else think he sometimes holds back when there’s plenty of space to run into down the left. I’m not putting him down just an observation. I like him and definitely think he adds to the team . Works very hard too. 

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think he sometimes holds back when there’s plenty of space to run into down the left. I’m not putting him down just an observation. I like him and definitely think he adds to the team . Works very hard too. 

That's the fundamental difference between him and Moreno. Moreno likes to get behind the defenders and cut the ball back (or maybe run at the defenders). Digne is content to cross from deeper. When Moreno is back, the choice between them will depend on the tactics that Unai wants for the match.

• Like 3

The advantage of Digne not bombing forward is that the opposition often afford him a lot of space to cross deep. He’s got extra time for a cross and when getting forward he can still ping in a great ball. With the amount of game time he’s had I don’t blame him for needlessly always getting forward when pace isn’t going to be his best quality. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He doesn't have the pace like Cash or Moreno. He prefers to work angles to get through down the wing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

He doesn't have the pace like Cash or Moreno. He prefers to work angles to get through down the wing. 

Moreno also works angles very well, and can beat a man in a tight space unlike Cash.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: remember when people thought he was a downgrade on Targett?

Definitely one of the unsung heroes of this season. Moreno will struggle to get back to being the Number 1 LB tbh.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Moreno will struggle to get back to being the Number 1 LB tbh.

You reckon? Moreno can do things that Digne just can't. He can play in tight spaces, can beat players without needing a load of space in behind and his cutbacks are just deadly. He gives our attack a whole 'nother dimension.

And I agree that Digne's been good, he's a likeable guy as well.

48 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

You reckon? Moreno can do things that Digne just can't. He can play in tight spaces, can beat players without needing a load of space in behind and his cutbacks are just deadly. He gives our attack a whole 'nother dimension.

And I agree that Digne's been good, he's a likeable guy as well.

Moreno is better but ultimately Digne is performing really well and we're performing really well with him in the team.

I mean tbf Emery as we all know is very big on the tactical side so once Moreno is fit he may drop Digne for him for that reason even though it may seem harsh, but Digne is definitely going to be giving Emery some questions.

• Like 1

He had big, very clear eyes.
Where sometimes lightning flashed
As the storms pass in the sky. 
He was covered with tattoos
That I never quite understood... 

Lucas.Digne-Aston-Villa.jpg

Digne's been very good this season, although I reckon he'll still eventually be off once Moreno is back and if a left back does come in. He's clearly a top professional and a more than capable footballer, I think Emery just prefers a different profile there, which is probably why Moreno was signed in the first place.

Think there's some similarities to the Ings situation: he clearly had ability and Emery was more than capable of getting output from him when required, but it was very clear he wasn't first choice.

I think Digne will continue on until we get another LB profile or we find a suitor for him. I think you don't have as many transfer rumours as he did over the summer without there being some truth in it.

That being said, his particular profile of deliveries is useful against low block sides. Opponents, especially low pressing ones, have been giving him acres of space and if they continue to do so, Digne's delivery will eventually cause some trouble.

Against higher pressing teams, I would expect more of Moreno.

• Like 1

Been very impressed with him this season...and he is not bad in the air, which is still important in my eyes.

glad we never sold him.

Edited by TRO

Â