Lucas Digne

villan-scott

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We need him. First time I can remember having proper depth at LB, I can't see us selling him especially with a European campaign coming up. Not to mention Moreno's injury. He'll be getting tons of minutes this season.

Maybe the chatter about that Valencia LB is true?

It makes obvious sense to sell him if we have the opportunity to, having two left-backs both in their thirties doesn't make sense as they will both need replacing at the same time, keep Moreno and bring in a younger player as back-up which is obviously what we would do if DIgne was sold.

Also Digne at his age I'm sure doesn't want to be second choice, even if we wanted him to stay I think good chance he would want to leave if he can go somewhere where he has better chance of first team football.

• Like 3

Whilst we need depth I don't think we're at the point where we can afford to have a player on big money as cover especially if they can be replaced. Moving Digne on and getting someone like Vasquez as understudy to Moreno on a third of Digne's wages would make a lot of sense.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, useless said:

It makes obvious sense to sell him if we have the opportunity to, having two left-backs both in their thirties doesn't make sense as they will both need replacing at the same time, keep Moreno and bring in a younger player as back-up which is obviously what we would do if DIgne was sold.

Also Digne at his age I'm sure doesn't want to be second choice, even if we wanted him to stay I think good chance he would want to leave if he can go somewhere where he has better chance of first team football.

We might want to have attacking full back options and 3rd CB options maybe.

As in we could start with Mings Torres Konsa Cash next season and have Cash attacking from RB 

9 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

I’m sure forest could afford his wages, they was paying lingard last season 120k a week

On a one year deal with an entire squad who had never played in the Premier League.

Any club that takes that full Digne contract off us want shooting. Won't happen. 

If we could get Forest to pay half and get him off there as part of Johnson, that would be incredible.

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

£120k pw, Percy?! That's only one Digne leg covered.

£120k pw was what I was told 'on good authority' a year or so ago. I mentioned it on VT once but it didn't suit the VTer's preferring to believe some exaggerated salary reports as a stick to beat the Digne/Gerrard/Purslow with.

Even so, in regard to Forest even considering matching Digne's wage per week, I can't help but think they haven't noticed the 1 at the start!

• Like 1

If someone is willing to take a 30 year old we never should have spent 25m on, and given a huge 5 year deal to then you take it. You absolutely take it.

Has he improved? Yes. Is he a good squad player? Yes.

He's on too much money and too long a deal. He's a huge burden going into not necessarily this season but the next and the next and so on

• Thanks 1

How did we even spend 25m on a player Everton had in their reserves and were pushing on a train to get out of their club, along with 17m for Coutinho who Barca would have let go for free. **** off Gerrard and Purslow.

**** right off.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

How did we even spend 25m on a player Everton had in their reserves and were pushing on a train to get out of their club, along with 17m for Coutinho who Barca would have let go for free. **** off Gerrard and Purslow.

**** right off.

And that sir, is why Purslow isn't at the club any more.

He couldn't butt out, and he appointed and enabled a charlatan who had no business as a top-level manager.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

**** right off.

It was January for Digne for a start and the newly richest club in the world also wanted him. And Coutinho we got for 50% of the previously agreed fee. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you can't rewrite history, those were two good negotiations for the time 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Gaya? That would be really great actually. Think he's even older than Digne though.

Gaya is one of those oldish experienced war horse type FBs. Loves a tackle but he's nowhere near as good going forward as Moreno. Would say Digne is better on overlap aswell.

If Digne is to leave then it will be August 31st otherwise we're leaving us very short on FBs both sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

It was January for Digne for a start and the newly richest club in the world also wanted him. And Coutinho we got for 50% of the previously agreed fee. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you can't rewrite history, those were two good negotiations for the time 

No they weren't.

And it was pretty clear at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

No they weren't they were absolutely bad at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

No they weren't.

And it was pretty clear at the time.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

No they weren't they were absolutely bad at the time.

No chance. Digne was £25m and Matt Targett was derided on here *weekly* and we managed to get £5m loan fee and eventually get £12-15m for him, with Digne effectively costing us ~£10m. Considering just how much abuse Targett was gettingc That was a good bit of business at the time. I personally was frustrated that we didn't keep Targett for competition. But £10m outlay was smart business.

Coutinho was 90% discounted from the fee he moved to Barca for. Whether we should have bought him or not was a discussion, yeah, but the fee was sensible and at 50% off the option fee was lauded

• Like 3

Â