Yves Bissouma

Corleone

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How come Brighton and Brentford can snap up these players and we cannot find them. Should be our mission instead of overpaying others to do the job 

I guess it comes down to short term expectation , we expect to be in the top flight , I don't think Brentford have that same expectation  .. for every superstar Brighton and Brentford find for £400k and a coy of swank magazine  , there are probably quite a few players that don't make them £10m profit  ...Historically the bigger clubs can kinda use these clubs  to take the gamble and then pay the premium .

NWSE seem to have taken this "Brentford " approach with 16 -17 year olds , but at no real risk to our status as a top flight club  , so pay £40m for Bissouma today and hope in 3 years time we have his ready made replacement coming through the system  ..and 3 year after that we either sell them to man City for £100m profit or we've joined the big boys at the table and are poaching players from City  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

From a Brighton thread...

1. Persistent rumours
2. Starting on the bench for his NT, something that sometimes happens if a player has his mind elsewhere
3. Caicedo recalled

I'm starting to get a little bit worried.

I think they're a little concerned and resigned to losing Bissouma. 

Honestly, he's the one that I want (ooh, ooh, ooh) above anybody else. He's a level above any of our current midfielders. Would make our team on paper look as strong if not stronger than Spurs/Arsenal/West Ham etc. 

ditto.

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I guess it comes down to short term expectation , we expect to be in the top flight , I don't think Brentford have that same expectation  .. for every superstar Brighton and Brentford find for £400k and a coy of swank magazine  , there are probably quite a few players that don't make them £10m profit  ...Historically the bigger clubs can kinda use these clubs  to take the gamble and then pay the premium .

NWSE seem to have taken this "Brentford " approach with 16 -17 year olds , but at no real risk to our status as a top flight club  , so pay £40m for Bissouma today and hope in 3 years time we have his ready made replacement coming through the system  ..and 3 year after that we either sell them to man City for £100m profit or we've joined the big boys at the table and are poaching players from City  

I agree with that, it takes time for the wheels of the academy to start moving, its been dormant for so long in the past.....it starts slow, before it gains momentum.

We have had to go shopping at other academies to try and speed things up and put us amongst  the elite.

However, you are right Brentford, Brighton and Southampton, do seem to be slick in this area.....something we could emulate in the future.

I'm sure Mark Harrison has his finger on the pulse.

27 minutes ago, David-Copenhagen said:

I think this is the exact signing we need. We have been lacking a great DM for years and years, and it is if not the most important position. Then one of them. 

I couldn't agree with you more.

I will go as far as to say, it is central to us moving forward to the top half.

I would suggest anyone who is in doubt, watches his Headline reels, to see what this player does.....He WINS the ball.

He doesn't wait for a mistake, a missed pass or an interception, that is passive play......He is proactive and wins it back and he does it with aplomb....He then drives on with confidence on the ball.

He is exactly what we are missing....He is the Missing Link

He does what .....Hojbjerg, Rice,Soucek, Ndidi, Phillips, Fabinho, Henderson,Rodri,Kante,Jorginho.....Do.....win the ball.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, David-Copenhagen said:

I think this is the exact signing we need. We have been lacking a great DM for years and years, and it is if not the most important position. Then one of them. 

It really has been a position that we have struggled with for a long time. 

Trying to think of the players we have signed to remedy this problem position over the last decade and a bit:

Moustapha Salifou

Nigel Reo-Coker

Jean II Makoun

Karim El Ahmadi

Ashley Westwood (maybe signed as a more offensive-minded player?)

Carlos Sanchez

Idrissa Gueye (would obviously come good elsewhere)

Yacoubu Sylla

Glenn Whelan

Birkir Bjarnason

Mille Jedinak 

I appreciate that the game has changed, players like Gavin McCann and George Boateng perhaps wouldn't get near a modern DM role, and Glenn and Jedi were lumps for the Championship , but it feels like a while since we've had confidence in that position. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
Birkir Bjarnason autocorrected to Barker Bjarnason, which is probably better
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Trying to think of the players we have signed to remedy this problem position over the last decade and a bit:

Moustapha Salifou

Nigel Reo-Coker

Jean II Makoun

Karim El Ahmadi

Carlos Sanchez

Yacoubu Sylla

Glenn Whelan

Birkir Bjarnason

Mille Jedinak 

I appreciate that the game has changed, players like Gavin McCann and George Boateng perhaps wouldn't get near a modern DM role, and Glenn and Jedi were lumps for the Championship , but it feels like a while since we've had confidence in that position. 

Gareth Barry?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The other two positions we filled are a great upgrade, however this is the position we NEED!

I cant see us not going in hard (snigger)!

Before the Nakamba injury I would have disagreed, but it's an important role under Gerrard and we currently don't even have one CDM available. It is essential we get one in this month. 

28 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Moustapha Salifou

Nigel Reo-Coker

Jean II Makoun

Karim El Ahmadi

Carlos Sanchez

Yacoubu Sylla

Glenn Whelan

Birkir Bjarnason

Mille Jedinak 

As if we made a £2m loss on signing Idrissa Gueye... 

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

I couldn't agree with you more.

I will go as far as to say, it is central to us moving forward to the top half.

I would suggest anyone who is in doubt, watches his Headline reels, to see what this player does.....He WINS the ball.

He doesn't wait for a mistake, a missed pass or an interception, that is passive play......He is proactive and wins it back and he does it with aplomb....He then drives on with confidence on the ball.

He is exactly what we are missing....He is the Missing Link

He does what .....Hojbjerg, Rice,Soucek, Ndidi, Phillips, Fabinho, Henderson,Rodri,Kante,Jorginho.....Do.....win the ball.

Yes, for sure.

Great players are exceptional because they rise above and have a standard beyond the average ability of those around them. They usually either command a fee and wage proportionate to their influence or opt to commit to a project that they feel holds promise. 

I got a fair amount of dismissive comments and jibes for my praise of Yaya Toure, when I said he's just as much to thank for City's success as David Silva.

He was one of the best at doing exactly what you've just pointed out. 

I was taught there are four key elements that make a professional basketballer, and its certainly one piece of insight that I took on because I think it true, and the same could and probably does apply to football. The four:

1. Physicality 

2. Tactical nous

3. Technical ability 

4. Mentality 

Mentality being by far the most important and what determines whether a player can excel at applying his development  and skills when it matters, or if he simply doesn't end up rising up to the occasion when given his chance.

It's more difficult to make the decisions necessary for ideal or optimal outcomes when you are in the middle of a contest fighting for an edge, than it is to observe from a pov that is far removed. The latter is afforded the chance to speak about the situation and suggest what mightve been rather than having to be involved, the former must act and have faith that they come off best.

Very few players can play both ends masterfully. If we get a DM who can influence attacks as well as halt them at the other end, we have the makings of a team that will challenge for silverware and European placing.

• Like 1

Â