Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I can’t agree because then we’ll build an average team and then need somebody like him to make a difference. Buy him and get the other pieces, we aren’t a complete rebuild we just need some real quality added to the team so he can flourish.

We're not going to agree, so my final comment on this is to say that we can just look at the Everton example to see what happens when clubs spend huge amounts of money on players who don't make enough of a difference to results.

Coutinho is a luxury player, and we are not a top half side. It's irresponsible to spend this much. If we were to go down next season, we'd be trying to offload him in the Championship, and his wages would be in danger of sinking the entire club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

The moment when he played Watkins/Bailey through and they completely cocked it up summed up the dilemma we have. If we cant bring in better footballers than Bailey and Watkins, then we should'nt sign PC, even though he is one of the best footballers i have seen down VP

He was awful today tbh. 

Its like the old Hoddle arguement.

All i want PC to do is create 2 or 3 good chances in a game, but get midfielders on the pitch who can give him the ball quicker.

Luiz in the 1st half made Ray Wilkins look like Platini.

Luiz is a major problem imho

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're not going to agree, so my final comment on this is to say that we can just look at the Everton example to see what happens when clubs spend huge amounts of money on players who don't make enough of a difference to results.

Coutinho is a luxury player, and we are not a top half side. It's irresponsible to spend this much. If we were to go down next season, we'd be trying to offload him in the Championship, and his wages would be in danger of sinking the entire club.

Where has that come from? Even though a subset of fans on here think he's awful, he's still averaging close to 1.3ppg, which is about 48-49 points in a season. 

I'll wager that Fulham, Bournemouth and whoever else gets promoted will probably go down next year as the gap seems to be growing between the leagues. 

• Like 1

If we have any chance whatsoever to sign him then we should do so, would be one of the best players we've had and help us attract other top players. Don't judge him on a few games where the whole team hasn't been great and we've realistically had nothing to play for. If we don't sign him another Premier League team will instead, and he'll do brilliantly for them over a full season.

Already has seven goal contributions, four goals and three assists, for us in fourteen appearances, in terms of minutes on the pitch it's more like just over eleven games that he's played for us, so his goal and assists ratio hasn been very good.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

For the avoidance of doubt, we should absolutely try and sign him the summer. A world class player and a key player in a world class footballing nation. You don't turn down opportunities like this. 

You buy better players to play around him. 

Like Barcelona did ? 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Where has that come from? Even though a subset of fans on here think he's awful, he's still averaging close to 1.3ppg, which is about 48-49 points in a season. 

I'll wager that Fulham, Bournemouth and whoever else gets promoted will probably go down next year as the gap seems to be growing between the leagues. 

Everton finished 10th or something last season, the season before has little impact on the following one. It may be unlikely that we go down next season, but as one of the 'other 13' in the PL we do have a chance of doing so, and having sailed so close to the club being wound up once before I would like us to have a steadily increasing wage bill, rather than one which is totally out of control.

• Like 1

You could question the financial aspect of any big money signing, they're all going to cost tens of millions of pounds. Coutinho almost certainly more of a guarantee of being worth the money and presumably a name that would have bigger commercial benefits than other player we would likely be able to attract. The people running the club aren't stupid, if they think there's too much of a financial risk they won't sign him, if they do decide to sign him then I will trust their judgement on the matter.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Everton finished 10th or something last season, the season before has little impact on the following one. It may be unlikely that we go down next season, but as one of the 'other 13' in the PL we do have a chance of doing so, and having sailed so close to the club being wound up once before I would like us to have a steadily increasing wage bill, rather than one which is totally out of control.

Analogue growth rather than spinning the wheel of fortune ( or misfortune) in the hope of a quicker but less sustainable growth is what we should go for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

You could question the financial aspect of any big money signing, they're all going to cost tens of millions of pounds. Coutinho almost certainly more of a guarantee of being worth the money and presumably a name that would have bigger commercial benefits than other player we would likely be able to attract. The people running the club aren't stupid, if they think there's too much of a financial risk they won't sign him, if they do decide to sign him then I will trust their judgement on the matter.

Why basis , have you seen the signings we have made in the summer, they were close to being stupid . Plus the £100m release clause , it was a massive mistake. 

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying go out of control and buy 8 players 30 plus on £500k a week, but there should be a room for the odd one or two proven fully finished article players mixed in with the younger up and coming ones. 

You not watch PC against Leeds x2, 1st Half against Spuds, Southampton?

If you can't see how good he is, if you are so warped in your views by your dislike of the Manager, if you can't appreciate the moments of magic that PC provides in dull games then i feel a bit sad for you tbh

• Like 1

Â