Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

33 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I think the most frustrating thing has been how hot and cold he’s been. Some games you watch him and think “this is it! This is why we need to sign him!” And other games you forget he’s even there. However, that being said, I’d want to keep him as long as it’s not for silly money. For me, letting him go would be a sign of lack of ambition because he’s still our best player by miles. 

Its how he was at Liverpool as well hot and cold. Its just they won more games so when he looked average in a game somebody else bailed him out

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

What. 

The f**k. 

Are you on about?

He wasnt a 9/10 every week at Liverpool and was just as inconsistent as he is now. He had better players for when he played bad

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He wasnt a 9/10 every week at Liverpool and was just as inconsistent as he is now. He had better players for when he played bad

He warranted a E160m transfer and was one of the top 5 players in the world at the time. 

Zidane had off days you know. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Also, I love that Sky are so desperate to undermine us that they are inventing stories that we will ask Barca to halve the fee despite having first option 

That came from Spanish media over the weekend 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What does that even mean "a club like Villa"? 

The championships top scorer signed for a mid table PL club

He's now an England International anf linked with CL chasing arsenal while we slip towards the relegation places, so at what point does it become "a club like Villa are lucky to have him"? 

We weren't even mid table, we had just stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

It's just people's obsession that Villa are something special.

Deep down we all know that we're not really. We COULD be. We have all the ingredients to be a big club again. But now, especially when Watkins signed, we're just another run of the mill Premier League club

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I think the most frustrating thing has been how hot and cold he’s been. Some games you watch him and think “this is it! This is why we need to sign him!” And other games you forget he’s even there. However, that being said, I’d want to keep him as long as it’s not for silly money. For me, letting him go would be a sign of lack of ambition because he’s still our best player by miles. 

But you contradict yourself there. When he's on it he's our best player by miles yes, but like you say, he has been hot and cold, and when he's cold, he's certainly not our best player. Definitely something you need to take into account before paying God knows how much in wages to a 30-year-old.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its how he was at Liverpool as well hot and cold. Its just they won more games so when he looked average in a game somebody else bailed him out

He was a lot more hot than cold at Liverpool, yeah that's mainly because they had more of the ball than we do, but I do think that as good as he still is, he has lost a certain something in his game.

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Also, I love that Sky are so desperate to undermine us that they are inventing stories that we will ask Barca to halve the fee despite having first option 

Just because we have first option, we still have to pay a fee? Which we could well have asked to be halved.

There is a point where this deal becomes too expensive for us and detrimental to our overall summer plans. 

I know nothing of the inner workings of finances and how amortisation works etc. but I assume that we’d probably top out at around the £28m transfer fee already agreed and £175k a week in wages. 

Coutinho is great. I desperately want us to sign him permanently but looking at it objectively, it’s an insane amount of money when you factor in the fee and the wages over the length of the contract. There is no/or little resale value either with Coutinho as he’s 29. 

This is a deal that will only happen if Coutinho wants to play for us and nobody else. He’ll have suitors, of that there is no doubt, but I feel concessions from all sides will need to be made if we’re to get it over the line. 

As I’ve mentioned - our current run of form is not helping at all. I’d be more confident of signing him were we to finish in the top 10 this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

There is a point where this deal becomes too expensive for us and detrimental to our overall summer plans. 

I know nothing of the inner workings of finances and how amortisation works etc. but I assume that we’d probably top out at around the £28m transfer fee already agreed and £175k a week in wages. 

Coutinho is great. I desperately want us to sign him permanently but looking at it objectively, it’s an insane amount of money when you factor in the fee and the wages over the length of the contract. There is no/or little resale value either with Coutinho as he’s 29. 

This is a deal that will only happen if Coutinho wants to play for us and nobody else. He’ll have suitors, of that there is no doubt, but I feel concessions from all sides will need to be made if we’re to get it over the line. 

As I’ve mentioned - our current run of form is not helping at all. I’d be more confident of signing him were we to finish in the top 10 this season. 

I highly doubt resale value is a concern for Villa with signing Coutinho. 

I very much hope he signs. It a real statement signing going into a new season and a World Cup season at that. He’s one of the biggest names in world football right now.

I’ve seen enough since January to know that I want more next season. He’s a joy to watch. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd imagine that we'd be paying a decent fee to Barca, plus a big signing bonus to the player that lets us keep the wage somewhere that doesn't look insane for us - £10m signing bonus then four years at £180k a week?

I was thinking exactly this in terms of a signing bonus, but £150k a week to ensure it isn't a million miles away from our current structure. 

Having said that, the new deal on the table for Jack was purported to be £200k a week so it shows we have been willing to go there in the past if the player is good enough. 

• Like 1

I'm torn with him. He is class - that much is obvious, but he blows very hot and cold. With the money that is being mentioned, I'd be much more inclined to use that cash on 2 of Kamara, Kondogbia and Sangare, preferably Kamara and Sangare. Also, if we're going full 4-3-2-1 as our main/preferred formation then the 10's need to have lungs/legs (figuratively speaking), Coutinho's two biggest weaknesses IMO.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

Â