Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Just now, sidcow said:

Yeah, it's just a ludicrous intenet rumour which will no doubt become fact. 

For a start off we wouldn't have an option to buy if this was the case.  It was described in the official club press release as an option to buy.  If a other club had the same clause all we would have is an option to bid. 

It's clearly bullshit. 

Exactly.

As others have pointed out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Why would spurs have anything to do with it? People are suggesting that we went to those lengths to negotiate a deal just for Barcelona to agree it with someone else. Seriously?

Finally some sense!

What's supposed to have happened; Daniel Levy just dialled in on zoom "yeah lads if villa don't take him, I'll have second dibs, how does that sound?" 

13 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Any guess which shirt number he’ll take?  

Looking at his shirt history.... Since Buendia has 10 and Mcginn the 7, if he fancied the 14 it is sort of available as Hourihane is 99% gone. But then, the number 14 for him links back to his Barca phase so he may want a new number... especially as they took the 7 off him to give him the 14 at some point.

Would be a tiny bit harsh to strip Wesley of the 9, but not that harsh, he's likely off as soon as we can regain some of his asset value to sell. I would say the 9 is free, but not sure if you are allowed to switch numbers of a registered player during the season though. 

Layman's guesses here at 9 or 14 if allowed

couts.JPG

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Finally some sense!

What's supposed to have happened; Daniel Levy just dialled in on zoom "yeah lads if villa don't take him, I'll have second dibs, how does that sound?" 

The Levy bit doesn't sound right because I would automatically assume that spurs would have to pay at least something for an agreement

The agreement itself though... Said earlier I don't think it is 2nd dibs, we have agreed with barca that we can purchase him for an agreed fee of €40m at any time without having to enter negotiations or if he's a huge success the risk of having to pay more, if the rumours are right then so have spurs 

My understanding would be that we do not have a first bite agreement for him there's no such thing, we have an agreed future fee agreement for him, if we bid €40m for him then barca can not reject it, if 10 other teams bid €40m for him then they can accept all of those too and we would be in a fight to negotiate the best contract with him

Its not completely unfathomable... Just really **** weird and I think unprecedented 

But from a spurs perspective very cute and smart, they pay say £2m to barca for the agreement and if he's a hit for us they can get him for a relatively cut price deal, I could see that happening in the future, teams trying to piggy back buy out and buy back clauses, once that precedent is set though no doubt teams in villas position will try and change the contract wording to prevent it 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The Levy bit doesn't sound right because I would automatically assume that spurs would have to pay at least something for an agreement

The agreement itself though... Said earlier I don't think it is 2nd dibs, we have agreed with barca that we can purchase him for an agreed fee of €40m at any time without having to enter negotiations or if he's a huge success the risk of having to pay more, if the rumours are right then so have spurs 

My understanding would be that we do not have a first bite agreement for him there's no such thing, we have an agreed future fee agreement for him, if we bid €40m for him then barca can not reject it, if 10 other teams bid €40m for him then they can accept all of those too and we would be in a fight to negotiate the best contract with him

Its not completely unfathomable... Just really **** weird and I think unprecedented 

But from a spurs perspective very cute and smart, they pay say £2m to barca for the agreement and if he's a hit for us they can get him for a relatively cut price deal, I could see that happening in the future, teams trying to piggy back buy out and buy back clauses, once that precedent is set though no doubt teams in villas position will try and change the contract wording to prevent it 

Literally one low tier Spanish newspaper said it, repeated by another and a Spurs fan tweet account mentioned it.  No credible person has said it, even disputed it on the original tweet (Sky dude), we have seen it no where else.  It’s a BS rumour, making very little sense and not mention by anything or anybody even half credible.

Added to that we don’t know what or how the buy option works.  From just a fee agreed which we can convert but need to agree terms with Coutinho to terms agreed with Barca and Coutinho and only us convert at our option.  We have no details apart from a “buy option” which is a little ambiguous.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Literally one low tier Spanish newspaper said it, repeated by another and a Spurs fan tweet account mentioned it.  No credible person has said it, even disputed it on the original tweet (Sky dude), we have seen it no where else.  It’s a BS rumour, making very little sense and not mention by anything or anybody even half credible.

Added to that we don’t know what or how the buy option works.  From just a fee agreed which we can convert but need to agree terms with Coutinho to terms agreed with Barca and Coutinho and only us convert at our option.  We have no details apart from a “buy option” which is a little ambiguous.

Agreed, sounds like bullshit to me 

5 hours ago, Pablo_2531 said:

Hello all I previously commented on gerrard. I know I know..I’m an obsessive Lfc fan.

However as a season ticket holder I feel in a decent position to comment on these two in particular..

I've been watching developments with villa with interest for obvious reasons and I think this will prove to be a very good signing.

I have to admit I haven’t watched lots of  coutiniho since he left but I can tell you about the player who was at liverpool.

Firstly, by all accounts he is a good lad, not going to upset anyone, speaks English and for us was not injured a lot from memory.

His touch is immense as is his awareness, close control and skills in tight positions. His other main strength is his shooting from distance both from dead balls an in open play.

I would say the other thing that helps with him is he can press and he does work hard. He isn’t just some number 10 who strolls round the pitch.

The general criticism of coutiniho from liverpool fans was that certainly for the first few years he was inconsistent. He could put in a 9/10 performance then 2x6/10 performances and that seemed to be the cycle. However in the last 2 years I think it was or certainly 18 months (an bear in mind he was young) it became near enough every game he was immense an for me he was probably along with hazard the best player in the league at that time.

You don’t go for 145m if you are shit an he wasn’t a flash in the pan like a dembele for instance.

yeh it worked out for liverpool as we sold him an bought Allison an van dijk who based on our American owners track record we would not have bought without the sale. 

However at 29 I see no reason why you cannot have 4/5 years of coutiniho. The fact gerrard will build around him will help too an I suspect he will be a success.

ps from reading a number of these threads over the last couple of months you aren’t the most optimistic bunch are ya? But on this one I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

welcome to VT friendo!, thanks for your opinion, very much appreciated.

This is clearly the biggest signing Villa have made in my lifetime, i think the consensus is, if we can get a version of Coutinho that is even 75% of what he is capable of, it will be a huge success.

Would you agree?

PS: re optimism, my defence for that is in the last 15 years we have gone from competing for the top 4 under MON and were genuinely one of the "big clubs" in England, to having sold all our key player assets, fallen down the league, got relegated, spent 3 years in the Championship, had a corrupt club owner (thats not a joke, he is/was actually a wanted man internationally), nearly had to sell our main asset (Grealish) for a packet of crisps to Spurs a few years back, then had him taken from us by Manchester Money, only stayed up by a point 2 years ago.......although we did have a decent season last season and now things do look on the up with our new owners, Purslow and Gerrard..........my point is, please forgive the pessimism......but i kinda think after the last 10+ years you are lucky we arent committing mass seppuku! :P

Hopefully the good times are coming again soon ay!

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Do you think we can see an unveiling over the weekend or more likely to be sometime next week?

I want to see him do some keepy-uppys pronto!

giphy.gif

Top 30 Marco Perez GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha 3

Â