Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Feels like we are as full strength as we've ever been tonight. Is it only Nakamba out injured now?

Yep, Gerrard stated yesterday that he has a full squad to choose from, apart from Nakamba.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Leeds basically missing their spine (Cooper, Phillips and Bamford). At best, Bamford and another may make the bench. Bamford didn’t even get any minutes last weekend off the bench.

They were last game against us as well…

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

and we should have beaten them after being 3-1 up. Leeds are undoubtedly weaker without the three players I mentioned starting.

We should have but didn’t. They looked stronger in the second half as well. I do agree they are weaker without them though. 

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Haha, yeah. I'm actually doing an open mic night, so it'll be a pub room full of music. My intention is not to keep checking my phone, but I bet I do. I'll probably be going on around about full time, so if we've won I'll be sure to let the audience know...  ;)

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

and we should have beaten them after being 3-1 up. Leeds are undoubtedly weaker without the three players I mentioned starting.

Agree we should have beaten them when 3-1 up but we could quite easily have been 0-2 down had James's shot not cannoned off the cross bar - I'm not sure we would have come back from 2 goals down in that moment.

Hard game to predict, they looked better against Leicester and probably deserved a point but we're coming off the back of 2 wins so got to be confident based on both teams form.

I can see arguments for keeping the same side but can also see why Konsa and Digne would come straight back in as they may be more suited to this type of fixture?!

Seems crazy to think many will be ok with Watkins and Ings starting and Buendia on the bench who was our best performer in January but it's a good sign if we have players like Emi, Traore, Bailey all itching to get on from the bench.

Just hope we defend well and cut out any stupid mistakes, match their intensity and we have a great deal more firepower which hopefully will see us through.   

Excited to start my day with this one.

Can see us continuing the run of momentum and if we can convert that into goals we will get up I think.

Not to underestimate Leeds though. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Haha, yeah. I'm actually doing an open mic night, so it'll be a pub room full of music. My intention is not to keep checking my phone, but I bet I do. I'll probably be going on around about full time, so if we've won I'll be sure to let the audience know...  ;)

What, stand up comedy? Always wanted to give that a go, but then again, I've always talked a good fight.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Good luck! I love doing open mic nights.

• Like 1

I’m quite looking forward to this now, should be an entertaining game and one we can win. I’ve been a bit despondent about football lately but the couple of wins in a row have captured my interest again. Hoping for another goal from Watkins, and one from Mings would be great. 0-2 Villa please.

3 wins on the bounce is something we should be doing with more regularity through the season going forward. Good chance tonight, but they will be well up for this.

We’ve had 3 games with Coutinho on the pitch where we have had spells in games where we’ve blitzed teams and scored quickfire goals in succession (Man Utd, Leeds, Soton). That’s what having a world class talent on the pitch can do, change a game in an instant. He has brought that back to this team. All at Villa Park though, love to see something similar away from home tonight.