Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

What was he thinking? He's an utter fraud. Fook his managerial career, off to the pundit class you go. Purslow should STFU in future. So mad when DS got shoved, got on board eventually with SG, but clearly it was Beale. SG is hollow. 

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What was he thinking? He's an utter fraud. Fook his managerial career, off to the pundit class you go. Purslow should STFU in future. So mad when DS got shoved, got on board eventually with SG, but clearly it was Beale. SG is hollow. 

You okay hun? 

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You okay hun? 

No - I'm more mad after the event. So pissed off how he just sat there with his fulsome hair, he deserves to be seated forever more chiming in on the form of other players. Fraudy Mcfraud clearing in the woods. 

Does this mean I can now go back to hating the scouse word removed?🤔😅

Seriously though, last night was an absolute shambles, one of the most spineless performances I have ever witnessed from us and there's been a few.

Many, many supporters on here saw this coming for a long time, many called it when he was appointed - I hold my hands up and say I was excited/intrigued by his appointment - A big name as a player that would get the footballing world talking about us. I thought he talked the talk, but that's basically all it has been, a load of hot air. The captaincy of McGinn being his biggest downfall, playing players out of form, alienating other players, tactics - what tactics? He's been unfortunate with injuries but still, despite being "unlucky losers" against the "big boys" we have gone backwards, no one in our squad is improving. I thought at the very least he would have us competing in every match but how wrong was I.

I'm a patient man when it comes to giving managers time, I was hoping he would turn it around but it does feel like a huge relief that he's gone - I just hope we get someone of real pedigree to replace him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AXD said:

image.png.ab6fe96cdaf04128da128f378abec35e.png

He's been undermined? seriously? way to phrase that he just wasn't good enough of a manager.

Garde, Sherwood, McLeish, DiMatteo,... were then also undermined by results? No, they were just not good enough, but they weren't friends with the pundits.

It's almost as if the results and performances are down to him!

• Haha 1

Just about better late than never.

He is merely another example of a "great" player not making a decent manager,  à la Roy Keane, Fat Frank, Tony Adams and even Gary Neville to a degree.

Not that I'm a pessimist but I bet we'll be the only team not to benefit from a new manager bounce 🙄

Right....I'm off to play my Smiths records to cheer myself up 

Danks and McPhee need to go as well. Things took a turn for the worse when they came on board. I think they are the boards appointments though, so I bet they survive.

39 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

That sums it up really well for me. I've never quite felt that Gerrard was really on the same page as the fans and the people connected to the club. It felt very "external" - big name comes in and disrupts the ethos and harmony that had been gradually building for the past couple of years.

Yes, performances have been bad, but the team selections, tactics and man management have been utterly baffling to the majority of fans. Obviously, the media will make out that we're all morons and that he's an elite manager who didn't have good enough players...

• Like 2

I mean, McPhee what does he do. The defending for the first goal was abysmal, all of the defenders were lined up on the 6 yard box when it dropped to their guy on the edge of the box. The team had a warning minutes earlier when Andreas Pereira had a great volley from the edge of the box deflected just wide after a cross from a corner. We don't look inventive from set pieces, and we don't look like we defend them much better after last nights showing.

• Like 3

I have some sympathy for Gerrard. I think he genuinely tried to do his best and made decisions based on what he thought was right, he had some poor luck with injuries and obviously a backroom reshuffle is never ideal, especially when you are the type of manager who relies so heavily on them.

That said, he created a lot of his own issues, was given way too much licence with regards to the squad and transfer policy, and simply didn't have the experience to fix any of the issues we already had, let alone those he created himself.

It's a classic case of somebody being put in a position they aren't qualified for, and that is very much on Purslow I feel.

From Gerrards point of view it was a dream job he'd of been insane to turn down, but it was too much too soon, I don't think it's impossible he could become a good manager some day, but I think it would require a good deal of introspection, recognition of his mistakes and probably an update to some of his philosophies, certainly his man management felt a bit old school, which doesn't work so well on modern day players. 

I don't get the attacks on him personally, I don't enjoy when any manager gets the boot, it usually means we as a club have failed somewhere.

He did what he could and it wasn't close to good enough, I don't think there's anything more damning you can say than that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I see even his last press conference was full of excuses.

Look, he's a man. He takes full responsibility. He'll never hide. But the players are a shambles, the fans are nobheads, and the ref kept dropping his juggling balls.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â