Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Once up a time there were a manager that was disliked by the fan, but later he showed he was the real deal, therefore all other disliked manager will become good manager. Is that your argument?

Is there something in a match that could be consider the managers fault/responsibility, or is all down to the players, in your view? Or are you saying that the manager have to replace every player in the squad before any responsibility is directed his way? 

I am struggling, with this, if I am honest....I don't understand, the dislike of any of our managers, we don't even know then for gods sake.......there was a clear dislike of Gerrard in some quarters from day 1.....so make of that what you like.

Lets get this clear....bar for some poor decisions being made by certain players, on sunday, we could have won that......That result, was the gift, that keeps on giving.

There was enough good play, in periods of the game, to have made that result reversed.....I saw poor decisions, that only the player can be responsible for.....but equally, enough good play, with good desisions to have won it.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am struggling, with this, if I am honest....I don't understand, the dislike of any of our managers, we don't even know then for gods sake.......there was a clear dislike of Gerrard in some quarters from day 1.....so make of that what you like.

Lets get this clear....bar for some poor decisions being made by certain players, on sunday, we could have won that......That result, was the gift, that keeps on giving.

There was enough good play, in periods of the game, to have made that result reversed.....I saw poor decisions, that only the player can be responsible for.....but equally, enough good play, with good desisions to have won it.

This dislike for Gerrard on this board is near universal. That should tell you all you need.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Are you kidding? 10 men, flapping keeper….

Yeah it’s the managers job to change that and he hasn’t been able to do it under his tenure, what’s suddenly going to change?

Gerrard’s buys!  Gerrard still plays him from the start more often than not.

I don’t understand the constant misdirection from Gerrard’s fault on a majority of these issues.  I get there are other issues at the club and with the players but I don’t see what Gerrard is offering us at all.  He’s not getting it out of the players, he only gets part performances out of the team against the Sky6 but we still generally lose and we are poor most other games against lesser teams.  

For all the traits a manager/coach has to have in relation to on the pitch he’s providing nothing.  The mentality of the players, tactics, team picking, subs, outwitting opposing managers….the list can go on.  He’s not having an impact on this team and that’s his job!

Yeah....and I am questioning that, but also questioning some of the speculative stuff aimed at him....one thing at a time eh

Nick, you accuse me of overly defending him, but its only because, some of the stuff, note, some of the stuff, I find speculative and in some cases personal.

but equally, considering you claim to be on the fence, when he first come, you have not being able to find any positives to my knowledge, despite him being hugely influential in signing 2 champions league calibre players( albeit out injuried, is that his fault too)......I even recall the claims from some, he has lifted the profile of the club, by the media talk.....that has been lost on some.

Now, I can't tell people how to think, but I do find it, questionable, when i get accused of overly defending him, and others find no positives of any description to balance the perspective.....that smacks of bias mate.

I would completely get someone still wanting him out, but able to find a positive, amongst the brambles.....that's rare to find.

Its funny one poster on here, who is totally for him being removed had the gaul, to suggest in his formative , days with us , to have patience with him.....how Bandwagons can affect folk.

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

3 years is fine, if it works out the great the manager deserves a pay rise.  If it fails it’s not the biggest pay out that could seriously hurt a club.  I don’t paying off Gerrard is the biggest issue.

The bigger issue is that we are a point above the drop zone with Leicester having enough quality to stay up,  2 newly promoted teams 3 & 4 points ahead of us and having played 6 of the bottom 8 in the 10 games we've played.

• Like 3

The big worry for me with gerrard is the perslow seems to have gone all in with him moved away from the recruitment model we had been working too bringing in players like Phil and digne. I can honestly see a situation where some of our better young players get frozen out and move on elsewhere and go on to have careers better than they would staying at Villa. I have a feel over Martin o neill with this one going for expensive experience that offers little, players the same 11 week in week out despite bloating the squad looking for the quick fix. Albeit the MON disaster did at least come with some ok results and league finishes

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure what you don’t understand. Fans like to win matches. Anything that prevent winning matches will be disliked by the fans. This is have been the case as far back as I can remember. It doesn’t matter if it is bad managers like Bruce or Gerrard, or bad goal keepers like Nyland and Kalinic, or players like Watkins and McGinn. Rightly or wrongly they will have their critics if we aren’t winning.

With the number of matches we aren’t winning under Gerrard, it would be unnatural if he was liked by the fans. That some fans had the foresight to see where the appointment of Gerrard was going to end up, is not a negative.

That Gerrard set us up with wide attacking players, was a surprise and made us look better. Too bad he have sold/loaned out most of our wide players. There are games where the better team doesn’t win, but that is part of football, and it will even out over a season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The 'could've would've should've' doesn't wash when you've got 4 wins in 21 games, TRO.

Besides, it's probably the only 45 minutes this season that you could've called us unlucky, really. 

His record is abysmal and he has to go. 

Yeah, in frustrating times, it don't wash.......Thats why likes of Josh Kroenke are where they are, thats why guys like Musk, defy adversity and stick at it.....They have a level of perseverence, some of us can only dream of.

You could also have said 7 wins in 24....which is equally, not good, but its doesn't feed the narrative does it.....I guess I am splitting hairs here.....The results are not defendable.

When you are on the way back from  dark times, every flash of positivity, is welcome, not just in football, every walk of life......Teams when they are flying, have confidence, and desire, and things go for you, we don't have that, but failing to see shards of light, is defeatism in my book, I watch the games I see little things denying us moving forward, getting those details and little decisions right, makes a difference, it changes pictures.......The process to success is not just black and white, its accumulating positive activity and turning it in to an outcome.....and extinguishing the negativity along the way.

I Remember John Gregory, once saying in his inimitable bouts of humour, I am developing web feet, to stamp out all the fires here....we have no idea what these managers have to deal with, in things conspiring against them......I like to cut them slack, and give it time, to judge properly.

I think the games against Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea, showed signs of resilience....Against Leeds and Forest, it was rancid, but we still got points away from home....and the 10 men argument is a weak one too, because we traditonally struggle against 10 men.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I didn't hear that being rolled out, when the pitchforks and Flame torches was out, when Arsenal was losing.

Sick of seeing the Arteta comparison...  Completely different situations:

Arsenal had a bloated, lopsided, over-the-hill squad of aging former superstars on astronomical wages and needed to rebuild completely in order to compete for Europe again...  Arteta clearly had a strong tactical plan in place and even though they got battered in some games, you could see the statistical progression over time, with huge jumps in xG/xGA performance after every transfer window.  They also spent an astronomical amount of money on new players and took huge losses to get dressing room problems out sooner rather than later.  They're playing some of the best football in the league right now...

Compare that to Villa...  We had an underperforming young squad who needed better coaching and a few key signings to make us into European contenders.  Gerrard spent big on older players, scrapped Smith's tactical philosophy for one which we're still struggling to implement a year later, and we continue to show regression in xG/xGA from when he switched to his narrow Rangers system in January.  We play some of the most boring, negative football I've ever seen.  Even McLeish wasn't this bad, and he once put out 7 defenders and Heskey in central midfield!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Folski said:

The bigger issue is that we are a point above the drop zone with Leicester having enough quality to stay up,  2 newly promoted teams 3 & 4 points ahead of us and having played 6 of the bottom 8 in the 10 games we've played.

Completely agree…I don’t get why he’s still here

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its funny one poster on here, who is totally for him being removed had the gaul, to suggest in his formative , days with us , to have patience with him.....how Bandwagons can affect folk.

I think we have been patient with him. The negativity has built up over time, with bad decisions he’s made. The Forest game (among many others!) was more of a nail in the coffin than the Chelsea game.

If he was called Carlos Managerio and we’d poached him from a second tier side in Spain, he’d have been sacked by now.

I’m fine with hanging on to him until the WC if that gives us the best shot at finding a replacement, but can’t see him surviving beyond that tbh.

• Like 2

Â