Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I believe the board or whoever should have been filtering through potential new managers after the Southampton game so they should be a couple weeks in identifying who could replace and have them ready lined up. If they didnt have that all in mind before then they definitely should be on the case now, that way we are not without a proper manager for too long..

BRING IN TUCHEL! 

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I honestly think we'll beat Chelsea, then lose a couple, doing just enough for Gerrard to stay in a job.

It's all very depressing.

Maybe not beat them but I believe we’ll perform better against Chelsea and maybe get a point, because that’s what we do these days. Defending against the top clubs is perfect for Gerrard’s Villa. Some will cheer afterwards.

Then we’ll lose to Fulham, Brentford, Newcastle,

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

I believe the board or whoever should have been filtering through potential new managers after the Southampton game so they should be a couple weeks in identifying who could replace and have them ready lined up. If they didnt have that all in mind before then they definitely should be on the case now, that way we are not without a proper manager for too long.

It’s already been 11 months without one.

Anyway, we have Critchley who can step in, who’s already much more of a proper manager.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

It's a question of ambition. The club could go out and get a Poch if they were willing to pay him what he wants and promised the transfer investment he needs.

Yep, offer Poch his going rate for salary and a promise of £100m to spend in the January window, plus he can continue living in London if he wants and I think we get him.

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

I believe the board or whoever should have been filtering through potential new managers after the Southampton game so they should be a couple weeks in identifying who could replace and have them ready lined up. If they didnt have that all in mind before then they definitely should be on the case now, that way we are not without a proper manager for too long..

BRING IN TUCHEL! 

We have already been without a proper manager for too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

You've been saying exactly that.  Yes the club (Purslow)  screwed up appointing him and have wasted a lot of time and investment in him and his "project" but you are suggesting we continue down that path and compound those failures when an 11 month trend indicates things will either stay the same or decline further rather than change for the better.  If the club is failing above and beyond Gerrard then that is a separate issue that needs addressing and will be neither directly helped nor hindered by Gerrard being sacked.

Gerrard is alienating the fanbase, our matches have stopped selling out, pretty much everyone including our own fans consider us boring and lacking in quality,  good players have been sidelined and will probably leave for less than they are worth,  and we are as low in the table as when he joined and we look like prime relegation fodder.  Just how much more damage has to be done before you think it's enormous?  What else is there to break?

We don't have to be "confident the next appointment will be successful".  We just need to be confident there is a chance he will be successful as opposed to what seems to be the guaranteed continued failure of Gerrard given the last 11 months.  The club made a mistake this time, but they were the same people who appointed Smith who got us promoted and then to 11th place.  So they have proven they can succeed as well as fail, when the choice of manager is not influenced by personal friendship.  The Board have not yet had the opportunity to learn from this mistake, and they won't until they replace Gerrard.    Gerrard has had 11 months of mistakes to learn from and hasn't.  The Board  might learn, they might not - what you are advocating is that they shouldn't even try and that is nonsensical. There is no contradictory logic or double standards in those facts.

Who says it's my fantasy?  It's what all clubs do, hire a manager, when it isn't working, try someone else, if that isn't working try someone else again.  Some get it wrong time after time, others, who are doing their jobs properly, eventually find someone who can move them forward. It's not unsustainable it's standard practice.

It is my belief that this is "standard practice" for a rudderless club with no identity. A club that has a plan that lasts only as long as the manager and invests millions into that person is unsustainable by every principle imaginable. Do you even remember the Lerner & Xia years? You won't get to the source of the problem if you keep moving the goal posts and hopelessly waiting for a messiah to come in. You can't simply chuck cash at the problem too & you can't be that carefree with the future of the club. I don't want to have an approach that "leaves it into the laps of the gods"

That is how I am viewing our predicament atm. Ridiculous thinking on here lately - from wanting the opposition to beat us by heavy margins and encouraging toxic support just to shift the manager. What am I reading? Crazy. This makes the club less attractive to potential good managers, and puts the club in a precarious situation. It is unhealthy and illogical thinking. Those thinking like this are potentially sabotaging the club's future too. But I am the guy who wants to damage the club because I believe a young manager can still turn it around and I have some hope in an individual coming good. Ludicrous. 

Lastly, I am not advocating the board shouldn't be vested and consider making a change. I am not opposed to moving Gerrard out for a well reasoned appointment and plan, but not just so we make an angry and irrational mob feel better about themselves for a tiny amount of time - no way. And for the same reason Gerrard shouldn't be kept on if purely for Purslow's vanity and reputation. The true question is what do Aston Villa want to be?

Every day he’s still here I get a little more disconnected with the club.  

I’m shocked he’s still here and stupidly check Twitter too much waiting for the announcement he’s gone but it’s never there.  It’s disheartening the club continue with him despite the obvious.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

But I am the guy who wants to damage the club because I believe a young manager can still turn it around and I have some hope in an individual coming good

Yes because you are choosing him over the club by your argument

but not just so we make an angry and irrational mob feel better about themselves for a tiny amount of time - no way.

Angry mob, you mean Villa fans on here, other platforms, in pubs, work and at the ground….further confirmed by the away fans at Forest.  It’s not a mob, it’s the fan base.  A mob isn’t a mob because you don’t agree.  The Villa fan base are providing their view and it’s seems most are in agreement that it’s time for him to go.

The true question is what do Aston Villa want to be?

As they say they want continual progression, Gerrard isn’t providing that, doesn’t look like he can and we seem to be drifting further away from it.  Time for him to go!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is my belief that this is "standard practice" for a rudderless club with no identity. A club that has a plan that lasts only as long as the manager and invests millions into that person is unsustainable by every principle imaginable. Do you even remember the Lerner & Xia years? You won't get to the source of the problem if you keep moving the goal posts and hopelessly waiting for a messiah to come in. You can't simply chuck cash at the problem too & you can't be that carefree with the future of the club. I don't want to have an approach that "leaves it into the laps of the gods"

That is how I am viewing our predicament atm. Ridiculous thinking on here lately - from wanting the opposition to beat us by heavy margins and encouraging toxic support just to shift the manager. What am I reading? Crazy. This makes the club less attractive to potential good managers, and puts the club in a precarious situation. It is unhealthy and illogical thinking. Those thinking like this are potentially sabotaging the club's future too. But I am the guy who wants to damage the club because I believe a young manager can still turn it around and I have some hope in an individual coming good. Ludicrous. 

Lastly, I am not advocating the board shouldn't be vested and consider making a change. I am not opposed to moving Gerrard out for a well reasoned appointment and plan, but not just so we make an angry and irrational mob feel better about themselves for a tiny amount of time - no way. And for the same reason Gerrard shouldn't be kept on if purely for Purslow's vanity and reputation. The true question is what do Aston Villa want to be?

He has shown nothing in near 12 months to make me think he is anywhere near capable of that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Every day he’s still here I get a little more disconnected with the club.  

I’m shocked he’s still here and stupidly check Twitter too much waiting for the announcement he’s gone but it’s never there.  It’s disheartening the club continue with him despite the obvious.

I feel similar, but I really don't think we will have to wait too much longer. It looks like he's limped enough to get the Chelsea game, but I really think that could be the end of him. After all, the away fans have turned and they're usually the last to call for a managers head. Sunday at home could be toxic, a tough and uncomfortable watch. But it could also be the siren that's so loud the owners just can't pretend they haven't heard it.

• Like 3

Â