Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I believe the club will get rid only when they have someone lined up.  Getting rid now could be worse, how many times have we seen a caretaker manager come in and not get results.  As crap as Gerrard is, we are grinding out draws and narrow wins.

Think he has 3 games to show big improvement and lifted spirits from the players who at the moment look completely miserable. The fact he's telling the players publically to step up sets alarm bells ringing. He interviews like hes thrown the towel in when he should be inspiring the team and taking the pressure off them. I'm not sure he's got it in him to do this but you never know. I reckon there's a 70% chance of him getting the sack before the month is out!

4 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I think the risk in firing Gerrard is that most of our players seemingly really rate him and like him, might create a backlash. I would sack him today though

I dont think they do. His signings maybe and McGinn I dont think others really care that much

If Mings for example was made temporary manager for Sunday he would gain more respect from the players than Gerrard has

10 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

It is clear that Gerrard have given up, he do the bare minimum, while he waits to get his compensation package. He have stopped going over to the fans after matches, now he can’t wait to get away. The players have picked up on that and look frustrated and resigned, and definitely aren’t giving their all.

How on earth are we getting any points against teams that aren’t as rubbish as Southampton/Leeds/Forest, when manager or players don’t care at all. 

I didn’t see a manager or players that didn’t care against Forest. It was a physical battle and they stood up to it. They just had no ideas how to break Forest down.

They didn’t go over to the fans because fans were furious. What’s the point of going over to get abuse hurled at you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I didn’t see a manager or players that didn’t care against Forest. It was a physical battle and they stood up to it. They just had no ideas how to break Forest down.

They didn’t go over to the fans because fans were furious. What’s the point of going over to get abuse hurled at you?

Because the fans are paying a lot of money on a cold Monday evening to watch you play. You dont have to go and talk to every one but at least show some appreciation fot their effort which is more than the manager puts in

Its why Mings and Emi are the true leaders at the club and that includes among the staff

27 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I think the risk in firing Gerrard is that most of our players seemingly really rate him and like him, might create a backlash. I would sack him today though

I actually don't think they do. When asked by the media, they will obviously say nice things about him. But I don't believe Gerrard's created any strong bonds with the players. Quite a few would probably breathe a sigh of relief.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

It is clear that Gerrard have given up, he do the bare minimum, while he waits to get his compensation package. He have stopped going over to the fans after matches, now he can’t wait to get away. The players have picked up on that and look frustrated and resigned, and definitely aren’t giving their all.

How on earth are we getting any points against teams that aren’t as rubbish as Southampton/Leeds/Forest, when manager or players don’t care at all. 

This!

I think the game against Chelsea will make even Southgate question the system, with the defensive set up we will probably play. 

9 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

No. I am not saying that. I am saying  he was appointed 11 months ago, a lot of investment pumped into his ideas and now he is on the verge of being sacked - that is a sign that the club is struggling and failing internally, which goes above and beyond the Gerrard question.

You are clearly exaggerating and catastrophizing about Gerrard's management too - "damaging the club enormously"?  That is OTT. Simply untrue. Calmly...the truth is we aren't getting winning results and the football is dour. I believe it is resolvable not fatal.

And if Gerrard is doing really bad, why are we confident that next appointment will successful? The same people who appointed Gerrard are still here and will be making the decisions.  "The will learn from their mistakes" - Oh so they can but Gerrard can't - great logic. Nice double standards too.

Sacking him is justifiable in many cases, doesn't mean your dream fantasy will play out. And then will the goal posts move again?  I suppose a new target will emerge. This is unsustainable.

You've been saying exactly that.  Yes the club (Purslow)  screwed up appointing him and have wasted a lot of time and investment in him and his "project" but you are suggesting we continue down that path and compound those failures when an 11 month trend indicates things will either stay the same or decline further rather than change for the better.  If the club is failing above and beyond Gerrard then that is a separate issue that needs addressing and will be neither directly helped nor hindered by Gerrard being sacked.

Gerrard is alienating the fanbase, our matches have stopped selling out, pretty much everyone including our own fans consider us boring and lacking in quality,  good players have been sidelined and will probably leave for less than they are worth,  and we are as low in the table as when he joined and we look like prime relegation fodder.  Just how much more damage has to be done before you think it's enormous?  What else is there to break?

We don't have to be "confident the next appointment will be successful".  We just need to be confident there is a chance he will be successful as opposed to what seems to be the guaranteed continued failure of Gerrard given the last 11 months.  The club made a mistake this time, but they were the same people who appointed Smith who got us promoted and then to 11th place.  So they have proven they can succeed as well as fail, when the choice of manager is not influenced by personal friendship.  The Board have not yet had the opportunity to learn from this mistake, and they won't until they replace Gerrard.    Gerrard has had 11 months of mistakes to learn from and hasn't.  The Board  might learn, they might not - what you are advocating is that they shouldn't even try and that is nonsensical. There is no contradictory logic or double standards in those facts.

Who says it's my fantasy?  It's what all clubs do, hire a manager, when it isn't working, try someone else, if that isn't working try someone else again.  Some get it wrong time after time, others, who are doing their jobs properly, eventually find someone who can move them forward. It's not unsustainable it's standard practice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This!

I think the game against Chelsea will make even Southgate question the system, with the defensive set up we will probably play. 

To be fair a defensive set up is what is needed in that game. The problem is creating something in their half, which I think is unlikely to see.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

We have made the same mistake already.  Should have been gone before city game.

I agree with that but can also see why he wasn't gone before the City game.  And then we looked pretty good against City. 

There's a fine balancing act they need to perform that won't alienate us to prospective managers.  We don't want to sack him too early so that noone who is any good is wary of joining us. But we also don't want to leave it too late so that anyone who is any good doesn't want to join us in a relegation battle. 

I feel like while we're out the danger zone, they're playing a calculated gamble that he'll do enough to keep us safe, may show an ability to learn and get better, and will show future managers that they'll get a thorough backing both financially and figuratively in tough times.

It's a gamble I think they're at risk of losing on,  as out upcoming fixtures will see us in the bottom 3 very quickly. I feel like this is the last point we could get rid of him while we are outside the bottom 3 (on more than just goal difference), and would absolutely not be too early.

The first point was before the City game. 

Edited by MrBlack

It’s clear by now SG will be sacked, the only question is when. And how much shit will cling to Purslow’s suit when it’s finally done.

And as for the next guy - who will decide? There are many good candidates out there but the people who will make the choice don’t fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It’s clear by now SG will be sacked, the only question is when. And how much shit will cling to Purslow’s suit when it’s finally done.

And as for the next guy - who will decide? There are many good candidates out there but the people who will make the choice don’t fill me with confidence.

It's a question of ambition. The club could go out and get a Poch if they were willing to pay him what he wants and promised the transfer investment he needs.

I don't look at Purslow and think he's to blame for the mess we find ourselves in. He's not the one sending the players out week after week playing this wanky narrow formation, he's not the one that stripped Mings of the cptaincy and gave it to McFraud and he's putting everyone to sleep with the slow dour football we're currently playing.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean he's not wrong is he. And unfortunately every time Gerrard talks to the media his words end up reinforcing the impression of my eyes that all he does for coaching is pick players who've scored in training and then tell them to 'go out there and produce a big moment' or whatever. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean he's not wrong is he. And unfortunately every time Gerrard talks to the media his words end up reinforcing the impression of my eyes that all he does for coaching is pick players who've scored in training and then tell them to 'go out there and produce a big moment' or whatever. 

Watkins must be like Lewandowski in training 😛

Â