Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, claretman said:

Someone posted in the match thread we were playing like Wimbledon from the 80’s/90’s and they were spot in with regard to the first half.  It was dire, punt forward and hope for the best constantly.  
No Martinez rolling it out anymore, it was hoof whenever possible.

I like to think our players are better than that, because they sure aren’t suited to that style of ‘play’. 

Time to leave Steve.  

Playing out from the back (the ”pretty stuff”) was apparently scrapped a few weeks ago, when we got points from hoofing and sitting deep. So much for Gerrard’s philosophy.

As you say, our squad is not suited to this way of playing either. If we’re going to play like old Wimbledon or Burnley, we need some tall and strong thugs to do it. Playing hoofball and trying to win headers with a team including Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Dougie is **** laughable.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, claretman said:

Someone posted in the match thread we were playing like Wimbledon from the 80’s/90’s and they were spot in with regard to the first half.  It was dire, punt forward and hope for the best constantly.  
No Martinez rolling it out anymore, it was hoof whenever possible.

I like to think our players are better than that, because they sure aren’t suited to that style of ‘play’. 

Time to leave Steve.  

We're a high budget Burnley without the players to make it work. I mean, our tactic consists of lumping the ball upfield and hoping Watkins can do something, and crossing at every opportunity for the likes of Buendia Coutinho and Bailey to "challenge" for in the air. 

Our most successful method of scoring goals has been to shoot directly from a corner

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its not like Ashley Preece's question was unreasonable or particularly aggressive. Would have been easy to answer but once again Gerrard makes a "thing" out of something that didnt need to be a thing. 

Yes Ashley is questioning your judgement, thats his bloody job. He doesnt get paid 6M quid to do it either.

Preece is one of the nicer journos and a proper Villa fan as well, so that's a bit shite.

Where good old Kendrick when you need a journo to be a prick? lol

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Preece is one of the nicer journos and a proper Villa fan as well, so that's a bit shite.

Where good old Kendrick when you need a journo to be a prick? lol

I like Preece too, he is a genuine Villa fan. But Gerrard is entitled to respond how he likes (within reason).  

• Like 1

Â